Gibson Brands Forums

Bought a new Gretsch

RevDavidLee

GretschG5420TFairlaneBlueFjpg.jpg

Chicago Music Exchange got 3 of these in yesterday and they've already sold out. I purchased mine about 1:30am [smile]

A guy on the Gretsch-Talk forum posted the one he bought a few days ago and after staring at it (repeatedly) I caved. I have a few Gretsch guitars already so I'm comfortable with the one that is coming but there's something about this color that is very exciting. Any Gretsch owners in here?

Congrats RDL. Beautiful guitar!

I don't own one, and have really struggled to play them - probably something to do with milod's geometry theory.

But...man they look so cool when played live, especially when other bands on the bill are all just using the usual stuff.

...as ably demonstrated here by one of my greatest friends and occasional bandmate.

That is gorgeous Rev. I don't have one now, but did as a teen. It was my favorite to go to guitar out of about 16 different brands I had at that time. Love that blue! I'm going to have to get one in the future. Just haven't seen one here that I really like yet. I may get a solid body Pro Jet but I do love Gretsch. Congrats!

Congratulations! Vivid color, too! [thumbup]

I have 2 Gretsch guitars...my 1966 Country Gentleman, and a 2004 Black Duo-Jet TSP,

which at the time, was the closest model, to George Harrison's, prior to his signature

model. Both, are great guitars, with that unmistakable "Great Gretsch Sound!"

Enjoy your new Gretsch! [biggrin]

CB

Love Gretsch's here.... [thumbup]

Only caveat for moi is the(I believe) total oriental manufacture nowadays of this iconic marque....apart from perhaps the mega expensive Brian Setzer model.... [unsure]

Great tones and history

Beatles connection and many more top players... [thumbup]

Some 'bling' colours....as well as the iconic 'white' guitars

V

:-({|=

Love Gretsch's here.... [thumbup]

Only caveat for moi is the(I believe) total oriental manufacture nowadays of this iconic marque....apart from perhaps the mega expensive Brian Setzer model.... [unsure]

Great tones and history

Beatles connection and many more top players... [thumbup]

Some 'bling' colours....as well as the iconic 'white' guitars

V

:-({|=

I hear ya about the oriental manufacture - my D'Angelico same issue but I love love love that guitar. What's a fella to do.. [wink]

Are you liking it Kelly? Any complaints so far?

None what so ever. Loving it. When I first started playing guitar and taking lessons I went to my first Chet Atkins Appreciation Society convention in Nashville and saw the color and promised myself I would own one of them. Well 23 guitars later I finally bought it. The irony is my favorite color is blue but something about that orange "blows my skirt up" . I name all my guitars and I really like the dual meanings for the names. On the Gretsch I named it "O.J." because of the obvious color and reference to orange juice but Also O.J. Simpson, because the thing is a "KILLER GUITAR"..

None what so ever. Loving it. When I first started playing guitar and taking lessons I went to my first Chet Atkins Appreciation Society convention in Nashville and saw the color and promised myself I would own one of them. Well 23 guitars later I finally bought it. The irony is my favorite color is blue but something about that orange "blows my skirt up" . I name all my guitars and I really like the dual meanings for the names. On the Gretsch I named it "O.J." because of the obvious color and reference to orange juice but Also O.J. Simpson, because the thing is a "KILLER GUITAR"..

[blink] Jeez Bro I'm just going to pretend you named your guitar after Orange Juice instead.. [blink]

:)

I emailed Chicago Music Exchange because I haven't received a tracking number yet. I got a response from them that they do a complete inspection & setup on every guitar they sell and that they did not have time to complete that before the weekend so my guitar will not ship out now until next Tuesday with an expected delivery next Thursday. Poop [sad]

I emailed Chicago Music Exchange because I haven't received a tracking number yet. I got a response from them that they do a complete inspection & setup on every guitar they sell and that they did not have time to complete that before the weekend so my guitar will not ship out now until next Tuesday with an expected delivery next Thursday. Poop [sad]

Congrats Rev, it's a beauty! Chicago ME is really excellent and you'll be happy that they did the set up and took their time (although I understand the disappointment factor). They do a great job. [thumbup]

Beautiful guitar! BTW, the correct response is, "Thank you for taking the time to do it right instead of just stuffing it in a box and shipping it because I can't wait to get my hands on it!"

It will, no doubt, be magic! Enjoy it to the fullest![thumbup]

ODE TO THE BLUE GRETSCH

Oh look see what light

on yonder window breaks

It is the southeast

and the blue Gretsch is the dawn

I think I shall never see

a poem as lovely as a hollow body

Moon, June, spoon, swoon,

Please Reverend Dave, play us a tune

Owning such a guitar is like a dog with a good bone

Especially when playing in the Church of Tone

Set the volume, pluck the strings

make that blue baby sing

Johnathan Wadsworth Sparky-boy

:unsure:

I love those Electromatics. I recently picked up a G5422 TDC in Cadillac Green. Those blacktop filter-tron pickups are the business.

BF002918-DE69-4A2C-8F3E-C34D2288F585_zpsk4tycxym.jpg

These Korean made Gretsch Guitars are every bit as god as the ones that come out of Japan. The fit and finish is flawless and the sound from those pickups is to die for. I honestly don't know why someone would spend thousands on one when they can get the same for under a thousand. I brought mine to my last band practice and the rest of the band couldn't stop drooling at the sight of it. :)

ODE TO THE BLUE GRETSCH

Oh look see what light

on yonder window breaks

It is the southeast

and the blue Gretsch is the dawn

I think I shall never see

a poem as lovely as a hollow body

Moon, June, spoon, swoon,

Please Reverend Dave, play us a tune

Owning such a guitar is like a dog with a good bone

Especially when playing in the Church of Tone

Set the volume, pluck the strings