Gibson Brands Forums

Sometimes I like some grass...

jaxson50

Loved Bluegrass since my kid days in Clarksville TN. All my friends there, when I as a Yankee would come down to visit, all played guitar,banjo, fiddle. I will say that NOTHING IMHO, beats a big string bass however vs. an electric bass. Just old school me as I love that "Slap" playing style and the deep woody tone it produces for the full sound a great Bluegrass group achieves.

Thanks for the tunes. I'd like to got to that cavern, it looks cool there(air conditioned too for hot summer days/nights). [biggrin]

Aster

Ah, Hot Rize are great. I'm a big 'grass' fan myself. So many cool modern bands these days - Yonder Mountain String Band, OCMS, Trampled By Turtles, Greensky Bluegrass, Steeldrivers to name just a few...as well as all the old great ones too.

My band has been blessed, upon occasion, to have a really good local banjo player sit in at various events.

We are mainly a classic rock kind of operation, but boy oh boy can we get on the Appalachian vocal harmonies when the opportunity comes to play some bluegrass.

Coming up quite soon (June 11th) we are going to play a huge party at an outdoor water park, and the administrators have made two requests that have been added to our song list;

Rocky Top and Man Of Constant Sorrow.

Our friend (code named 'Banjovi') can't make it to this gig, so I'm going to borrow a good buddy's inexpensive (Dean) banjo and start practicing.

It's going to be fun!!

:)

Our friend (code named 'Banjovi') can't make it to this gig, so I'm going to borrow a good buddy's inexpensive (Dean) banjo and start practicing.

It's going to be fun!!

Very cool.

I've been all acoustic for several years now. Although I still have 2 walls full of amps and electrics, they are rarely ever played.

I bought a cheap "Goodtime" 5 string and learned enough to use it on occasion, but the mandolin grabbed most of my free time !

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Archived