Gibson Brands Forums

Dancing In The Dark cover

EuroAussie

I remember a year or two ago BBG posted his version of Dancing in The Dark which I thought was one of his best recordings.

I was thinking of new songs to learn to add to my solo set list and remembered BBG's recording, so i thought Id also try a version.

I think this song translates super well to the acoustic and I have a feeling the Boss originally wrote this as an acoustic number before the producers decided to make it much bigger - it just feel right for an acoustic.

So .... here's a run through that I did, would be interested to get your feedback, in particular if Im holding back a bit too much on the vocals and whether perhaps it needs a bit more power from the vocals ... or any other tips for that matter.

I recorded this on the Martin J-40 as I really like the fat juicy notes the Martin delivers on this sort of fingerpicking number.

Thanks a lot,

EA

I agree, it probably started out as an acoustic number and is well served by being an acoustic number. Here is critique. Your playing is spot on.

SInging projects well, just a touch pitchy. I know because I am more than a touch pitchy when I sing. I tend to sing flat. I use pitch correction which can now be accomplished either on the fly with good pedals at live performance or by DAWs when recording. AND, importantly, it doesn't sound Ice-T auto tuned anymore.

I give this critique knowing full well that I will soon post an original recording and am going to ask for critique. [scared]

Really like this - you do what it is about.

Get inside the song and embrace it ^ then deliver

Yes, what he says: getting inside the song and embracing it. I enjoyed this, Mark- nicely done!

Hey EA, a nice take, you really made it your own! A folk version from all of that Springsteen instrumentation going on.

I don't think you only changed the mood; the melody is a bit different too to ears. But that's cool, it's really your own version!

I would just say to maybe try to "own" the lyric a little more, and deliver it with a little more force and clarity. Sometimes it felt like the lyric was kind of falling behind the playing. A minor quibble, though, cool version!

Thanks for the comments folks. I went through this track with my vocal teacher as I had a lesson yesterday, and she also pointed out the few flat spots. I think thats a result of still learning the finer details of the track and sqeeezing a bit more on the higher notes.

But i certainly wanted to put my own spin on it even though that might mean playing around a bit with parts of the vocal melody, as long as the notes arent off key.

I reckon I need to run through it another 5- 10 times, remember the lyrics by heart and then she'll be right.

cheers,

EA

EA, teriffic vibe on this one. I am a huge Springsteen fan, especially of his more somber material. Dancing in the Dark is a good song but I never appreciated the original production. Your version, though, is exactly how the song should be.

With that said, I agree with the others about the clarity of the vocals. You gave it your own twist, but some of the great lyrics are hard to pick out.

This song should do very well at your gigs.

Lars

EA, teriffic vibe on this one. I am a huge Springsteen fan, especially of his more somber material. Dancing in the Dark is a good song but I never appreciated the original production. Your version, though, is exactly how the song should be.

With that said, I agree with the others about the clarity of the vocals. You gave it your own twist, but some of the great lyrics are hard to pick out.

This song should do very well at your gigs.

Lars

Thanks Lars .... yes, thats what happens when one doesnt fully remember all the lyrics.

Archived