Gibson Brands Forums

Actual A440

Russell Davis

Been using my Android guitar tuner app with good results. Just recently I decided to get me a Snark and I discovered it seems to tune it about a 1/4 of a step higher than what the app does. Both show they are set for A440 but one of them is lying. How would one go about finding which one is correct? Is there a tuning web site out there that the music world collectively agrees to be accurate?

Find a music store that specializes in symphonic type instruments or school band supply and get an "A 440 Tuning Fork".

These are calibrated scientific instruments, and the most accurate frequency generator available. 40 years ago that was what I used as a guitar "tuner", but now, just for the reason you mention, I still keep one around to check the accuracy of electronic tuners.

Probably still cost around $10.

Find a music store that specializes in symphonic type instruments or school band supply and get an "A 440 Tuning Fork".

These are calibrated scientific instruments, and the most accurate frequency generator available. 40 years ago that was what I used as a guitar "tuner", but now, just for the reason you mention, I still keep one around to check the accuracy of electronic tuners.

Probably still cost around $10.

Yep, I've still got one. It was all I used for tuning guitars until a decade ago.

There are also plenty of online sources for a 440 Hz tone to use for reference.

Good topic!..........Can someone tell me the differences, advantages/disadvantages of tuning to 440, or 441, etc.?

"A 440" is what is called "Concert Pitch" or standard pitch. This is the reference tone for which most instruments are designed to be tuned/played around, and for which pianos are tuned. The reason for a designated standard pitch is so various instruments can be tuned and played together.

Good topic!..........Can someone tell me the differences, advantages/disadvantages of tuning to 440, or 441, etc.? For example, if you tune to 441 or 442, can you still play with the same chord formations and in the same key?

Many years ago, around 1982, I had a book that hit upon the 441 442 etc... Their explanation was they tuned to the singer's level. Personally I think that rings true because when you try to play with a song (you're in 440) you can't figure out what chords their playing cause they have tuned higher or lower and using the same chords like D G A . In other words the chords stay the same just in different Hz tuning. Good topic!

Good topic!..........Can someone tell me the differences, advantages/disadvantages of tuning to 440, or 441, etc.? For example, if you tune to 441 or 442, can you still play with the same chord formations and in the same key?

Think of using a different A reference as putting on an infinitely adjustable capo. The relative tuning stays the same, assuming you tune the other strings using the "new" A string pitch as the reference.

With my previous post, too add, sometimes I hear weird things like in the Hz (not knowing the relationship to the keys) in between of the sharp/flat in the chomatics. Example: D D# E . In between D to D# . In between D# to E. Another example: E to F ? A cap would not work in this, I don't think. 440 to 441 to 442 etc. I may be loosing it!

Archived