Gibson Brands Forums

My favorite Gibson

Gibson Artist

There are many Gibsons i have yet to own, i love to trade, love to try new gits, new shapes, sizes, woods, pickups etc. Got really bad gas for a dove and j-200 someday, and also R0, Classic or LP Faded are all models i someday will own. But for now, this is my favorite Gibson. In fact, this 1974 J-50 model is my all time favorite guitar ive ever owned. It has a slim neck, beautiful wood, its mahogany back, sides and neck, rosewood fretboard, big headstock, slim neck which is perfect for us shorter guys (im only 5'8 and dont like wide frets) and every day i play it i am and more and more satisfied with it. Just got a new cellphone so i figured i would upload of video.

If you are one of those people who like slim neck acoustics, try a j-50, they are excellent gits with a beautiful sound strum or fingerpick, certainly not a 1 trick pony like many other gits ive played of late. While i am sure i will own many more gibsons in my lifetime, i doubt i will ever sell this one. I know the Norlin era gets a lot of hate, but i dont care what others think, each guitar to me has its own voice, its own soul, and you gotta take it off the shelf and try it for yourself, not trust solely some snooty critic only judging from the era its made in. Check the video below to see it live and feel free to post YOUR favorite Gibson would love to see!

http://vid305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/thorn35_photo/video-1464459642_zps0xmdwfex.mp4

092_zps0ub5vyss.jpg088_zpsvirbmpnj.jpg

084_zpsc1bmjh6t.jpg082_zpsevjhe2uk.jpg

Nice J-50! I've never owned one, but have played several, over the years! They're really nice guitars! [thumbup]

My only Gibson "Acoustic/Electric" is an 1954 J-160 E. (Shown Below)

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Is it my "favorite" Gibson? Well, it's my favorite J-160 E "Gibson!" [biggrin] It's

a bit unique, as it is the only year they were made, with a "Solid Spruce Top!" All

subsequent models were made with a laminated top, to cut down feedback, in the electric

mode. Which, of course, lessened the "acoustic" quality, "unplugged!" So, this one tends

to sound a bit better, acoustically. But, it is not J-200 or Dove/Hummingbird, for sure.

I tend to love all my guitars, pretty much equally. Otherwise, I wouldn't have purchased

them. But, I do tend to go back and forth, as to which I use, depending on need, or even

my mood(s), at the time. Current "go to" Gibson, seems to be my SG's. But, that may change

too, down the road?

CB

Nice J-50! I've never owned one, but have played several, over the years! They're really nice guitars! [thumbup]

My only Gibson "Acoustic/Electric" is an 1954 J-160 E. (Shown Below)

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Is it my "favorite" Gibson? Well, it's my favorite J-160 E "Gibson!" [biggrin] It's

a bit unique, as it is the only year they were made, with a "Solid Spruce Top!" All

subsequent models were made with a laminated top, to cut down feedback, in the electric

mode. Which, of course, lessened the "acoustic" quality, "unplugged!" So, this one tends

to sound a bit better, acoustically. But, it is not J-200 or Dove/Hummingbird, for sure.

I tend to love all my guitars, pretty much equally. Otherwise, I wouldn't have purchased

them. But, I do tend to go back and forth, as to which I use, depending on need, or even

my mood(s), at the time. Current "go to" Gibson, seems to be my SG's. But, that may change

too, down the road?

CB

I played the epiphone john lennon 160, but never a Gibson. None of the stores i frequented ever had one. Sounds like you got just the right year! Thats lovelym i wonder how it sounds?

I played the epiphone john lennon 160, but never a Gibson. None of the stores i frequented ever had one. Sounds like you got just the right year! Thats lovely.

Thanks! [biggrin]

Well, I "lucked" into it. It was hanging in an little guitar shop, in Glendale, California. I went in, for

strings, saw it hanging there, with absolutely very, very little original finish left on it. But, after inspection,

it appeared to be quite "sound," construction wise, still. So, I asked the young fellow, behind the counter,

what he wanted for it! He said, in a very matter of fact voice, "$450 dollars!" I handed him my credit card, on

the spot, and left with it. Took it, immediately, to a good Luthier I knew, and he restored it for me. This

was all Before, the "Vintage" craze started, in about 1982-3. So, at that time, it was just considered and old,

rather "beat up," Gibson.

However, when I went back into that shop, a few days later, the (much older) owner was there. I purchased some

items, and (again) handed over my "Visa," and seeing my name, he asked: "Are you the same Charles Brown that

bought that old J-160E, from here, a few days ago?" I answered that I was, indeed. He smiled, and said: "Well,

you KNOW that you "Stole" that guitar, for that price!" I told him, that it was the price I was quoted. And,

he said, that his grandson, "had NO idea," what it was worth, and had just tossed a number he thought was "high,"

for an "old, beat up, acoustic guitar!" The Owner was, literally, "out to lunch," at the time I was in their shop!

So, he left his grandson to watch the shop, while he was gone. The owner was a good sport, about the whole thing, thankfully!

So, even after the refinish/restoration, I had less invested than most good Epiphone's cost, now. Needless to say,

I was (and still am) Thrilled, with that fact! [biggrin]

CB

Archived