Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting lesson

sparquelito

This guy seems to have more than his share of experience with counterfeit imports.

Worth a watch, if you are fond of buying from pawn shops and craigslist.

Especially entertaining video from time-hack 8:45 onward.

[mellow]

Gentlemen,

Your lack of care and/or concern regarding fake Chinese import Gibson Les Pauls is duly noted.

May I assume also that you aren't particularly concerned about fake Chinese import (or fake domestic even) Fender Stratocasters as well?

Because the purpose of the original posting was all about elucidation and enlightenment.

And if you have something against sharing information that might save somebody some heartache someday, please let me know.

Because I can easily just limit my postings to inconsequential nonsense in the vein of, "wow, what a great looking SG", or "whoo-whee, I sure do love puppies and kitties".

(And it is true, nobody would ever get their knickers in a twist over great looking SGs or cute puppies and kittens. Hmmmm.....)

Nah.

I'll just stick to cautionary truth-telling.

It's much more interesting.

To me anyway.

:)

Gentlemen,

Your lack of care and/or concern regarding fake Chinese import Gibson Les Pauls is duly noted.

May I assume also that you aren't particularly concerned about fake Chinese import (or fake domestic even) Fender Stratocasters as well?

Because the purpose of the original posting was all about elucidation and enlightenment.

And if you have something against sharing information that might save somebody some heartache someday, please let me know.

Because I can easily just limit my postings to inconsequential nonsense in the vein of, "wow, what a great looking SG", or "whoo-whee, I sure do love puppies and kitties".

(And it is true, nobody would ever get their knickers in a twist over great looking SGs or cute puppies and kittens. Hmmmm.....)

Nah.

I'll just stick to cautionary truth-telling.

It's much more interesting.

To me anyway.

You post your opinions, ideas, experiences, likes and dislikes. I post mine. That's how this internet works.

I wrote that I don't care about fake guitars. Any of them, of any kind. I know what real guitars are, why do I care about fakes, people who sell fakes, people who buy fakes, and people who make YooToobe videos about fakes as though they are saving the world from some pandemic?

Christ dude, I tell people their real guitars are just guitars!

rct

Nah!

I truly don't care one iota.

I have what I need to protect myself.

I could care less if someone else buys a fake.

Actually happened once.

This band thing I joined once upon a time I was told they could get me an lp custom for 300 bones. The guitar player proudly showed me his he bought whereupon I had to tell him he bought a fake.

Granted I knew it was fake from what I learned here on this forum. But that doesn't justify the need to perpetuate the blatherings of what is fake and what is not.

People come here asking questions. There are several resident experts here that can fairly quickly give a fair assessment of what they see. No need to post youtube vids of some collectors opinion.

I am assuming that's what the vid is because I didn't actually watch it.

I like you Bro.

But your obsession with fakes is tiring.

Maybe give it a rest.

You may be taking this too personally, rct.

And quapman, I'm am not obsessed with fakes, I am just willing to admit that they exist and that they are a problem.

Speaking strictly for me, I care about people who are interested in buying a given guitar (any brand, any make, any model) and who are looking for advice regarding, "Am I getting a good deal, or am I paying a fair price?".

The variables involved in such a bit of advice are many, but things get complicated when we are faced with the possibility that somebody is about to pull the trigger on a counterfeit guitar.

One time (year before last) some fellow wanted to know the value of a guitar he was considering buying, and the details regarding the axe were sketchy, and worse yet, the serial number was one that had been replicated many, many times by a counterfeit guitar operation.

I told the fellow to steer clear of that particular fake, and (in the end) he was spared the indignity of paying far too much for a phony-baloney guitar.

I'm a moderator on a couple of other guitar websites.

I see things.

I care about people.

Perhaps that is what makes me a bit jaded and guarded.

:mellow:

Of course. I have a fake case that I use when I take my guitars out, so I can leave the real ones home, one for every guitar. I take case theft and the black market for good cases seriously. I'm working on my YouTube channel about Case Theft Awareness.

rct

I really don't know why this topic upsets you two so.

Just ignore the thread.

People who care enough about the topic will watch it and contribute, and you guys can go tend to other more important matters.

Problem solved, right?

[unsure]

I really don't know why this topic upsets you two so.

Just ignore the thread.

People who care enough about the topic will watch it and contribute, and you guys can go tend to other more important matters.

Problem solved, right?

[unsure]

If you don't want feedback from people that don't agree with you, don't post on the internet.

When you do get feedback you don't like, don't make it out to be someone else taking it personal, or that someone else is upset.

The last post about case theft awareness was me making fun of you, fakes, buyers, sellers, and video makers about fakes. I was making fun of you, not upset, not taking anything personally.

The only problem here is the one you are having. The only one taking it personal is you, and the only one upset is you.

I'm stinging from quapman making fun of me.

rct

You may be reading more into this than it deserves.

Again, the topic is what it is.

Either ignore it, or admit that you take pleasure in (I am guessing?) ridiculing those guitar players who post on topics you find objectionable.

I don't particularly care one way or the other.

I am up late tonight helping to train a Rottweiler puppy to adapt to the new household, so I am in dire need of entertainment and distraction.

But...it was you that read into it that I was taking it personally, and that I was upset. I do think it would have been you that was reading more into anything than it deserves.

No wait, you probably don't do that only other people do that, am I right?

Either ignore it, or admit that you take pleasure in (I am guessing?) ridiculing those guitar players who post on topics you find objectionable.

You sure do like to tell others how they should behave on the innernetz, while you remain unable to ignore others. I readily, regularly admit via my posting that I enjoy ridiculing other guitar players on any topic, any at all. I'm an equal opportunity poster, one can have at me just as vigorously or discreetly as I have at others.

I am up late tonight helping to train a Rottweiler puppy to adapt to the new household, so I am in dire need of entertainment and distraction.

For a guy that doesn't care one way or the other, you sure do care a lot.

rct

Allow me to clarify, friend rct;

I don't particularly care one way or the other whether you ignore the thread or whether you continue to post antagonistic, rationalizing/projecting diatribes regarding it.

On the topic of fake (counterfeit, over-priced, faux, rip-off) guitars being offered up for sale at obscene prices to unsuspecting consumers?

Yes, I do care.

Deeply.

Thus the motivation for posting the original thread in the first place.

And God bless the internet, because you still have the opportunity to ignore it.

And this Rottweiler puppy is a winner, I must confess.

She went pee-pee and poo-poo outside twice this evening, and has yet to make a mess in the house.

This girl puppy is sharper than most East-coast rappers, in my humble opinion.

I built my fakes guitars so no interest either but I def see the value for some others. I have seen four separate mentions of this as I searched for info in here...so I am sure there is some interest. I am sure people worry about spending that much on a name. Based on life choices to date I have to be thrifty and creative in most things I do. So I may never have the chance to purchase a Gibson. If I was it would prob have to be used or a really low deal. Both could be red flag situations, and I would appreciate any info posted. I learned how to make my fake Chinese Epi purr... Now I just have to figure out how to play. You hit these strings right???

Speaking of Rottweilers,we dog sat my daughters this week and here is a pic.http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx338/kaper1950/index.jpg%20ROTTWEILLER.jpg

Archived