Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting lesson

sparquelito

Sparky.

Don't lie. You do care or you would cease to continue making your point.

Calling myself or rct "friend" is just weird. Can't speak for him but I have never met you so calling me friend is presumptive on your part. There is a just as good a chance we would never be friends as there is we would. I could never call you friend until we meet,,, several times.

So for me that's just weird. We are not really friends.

Oh, "god bless the internet" ????

Seriously? I'm sure god would even think that's weird.

Also,,, are you drunk?

Cuz I kinda am. Which is the only reason I would ever continue in a discussion this futile. If you are I get it.

Otherwise, I have to admit. If you're not drunk you're just silly and in desperate need of a life. Hehe.

Sorry bro. Just trying to understand where you are coming from.

I'm sure you will tell me. I'm also sure it won't make any sense.

Other than you're weird obsession with fakes, you seem like a pretty decent dude.

Hey,,, none of us are perfect.

Hey, how about a pop-up target? (that would be me . . . )

Personally, I enjoyed the video and will remember the guy's main points if I ever go after another Les Paul anywhere. I thought it was interesting that no one mentioned that throughout the whole video on Les Pauls, he had four Fenders prominantly displayed in the background . . .

Hey, how about a pop-up target? (that would be me . . . )

Personally, I enjoyed the video and will remember the guy's main points if I ever go after another Les Paul anywhere. I thought it was interesting that no one mentioned that throughout the whole video on Les Pauls, he had four Fenders prominantly displayed in the background . . .

No-one mentioned them because the were FAKES! [lol]

RandyMan,

I too thought it was odd that, even though the fellow who made the video was featuring fake Gibson guitars as the topic, he had all those Fenders on display behind him the whole time.

Not exactly how I would have gone about it.

Quapman,

I do not lie.

I never lie, good sir.

The point I was making to friend rct was that I didn't care whether he found pleasure in ridiculing other posters.

Of COURSE I care about the topic of counterfeit guitars.

I made that quite clear, sir.

Re; calling internet strangers 'friend'.

It's a southern colloquialism.

Like saying, "friend Jim', or "brother Bill", or even calling people 'sir'.

It's a form of politeness and gentility that is designed to be cheerful and disarming, particularly when engaging in antagonistic tit-for-tat.

Sometimes it works, and other times it just pi$$es people off worse.

You never know if you're going to roll sevens until you throw the dice.

:)

PS. No, I was not drunk at the time of posting last night.

True, I was well into some beers, as I am most evenings.

But it would take a whole lot more than a few beers to get me into a drunken state.

Those days, the purple evenings of Jim Beam intoxication, are far behind me now.

I have my health to think about, good friend.

[biggrin]

I carry my ESP LTD bass guitar in an Ibanez soft case.

I had bought the Ibanez case for my brother earlier this year, thinking it would fit his Christmas gift, a really cool Ibanez Destroyer.

In the end, it didn't fit at all, and I ended up giving him a really nice old bass guitar hard case that I had picked up in Bad Kreuznach, Germany back in 1990.

The Destroyer fit in there like the case was MADE for it, so I ended up with the soft case for my bass.

It bothers the OCD side of me, but the practical side says, "Eh, what the heck. It's a great padded case, and very well made."

[mellow]

I don't get it. Another video of another guy that has bought glob knows how much fake chinese guitars.

All of them purchased ONLY for altruistic reasons, to warn others and make videos of them on youtube.

Now, I think even someone with a half brain knows some stuff, for example you don't get a real R9 for 300 bucks.

If you wan't to buy a new guitar, type in Gibson whatever model into Google and click on shopping.

Depending on your location many results of dealers will appear. Look at the price.

But wait, that's too much!

Ok, look on ebay etc...see the difference?

Yeah that same model costs less on the used market, but not much less.

Hey what's that?

That's the one I wan't, but this price! What a bargain!

Could it be fake?

And now, even with a quarter of brain, in todays modern world you type:

How to spot a fake Gibson whatever....

TONS of material around the web, even a newbie reading only on one site or with only one video could identify most fakes.

Ok, cool but if it's that easy to spot one, why do they keep making them?

People won't buy them, no?

Well, my theory is, they do buy them!

And why because they wan't to.

I really think most of the people that end up with one know what they are buying.

They don't care where it's made, they only wan't the G logo on their headstock.

And one last thing, I said it on the Epi subforum not long ago.

If you buy one to show others how fake and crapy it is, good for you, but also good for the counterfeiters pockets.

I don't think, wow what a nice chap, sacrificing his hard earned money to save us all from those evil asian counterfeiters.

I see someone that is responsible for keeping them in business.

He shows how much 3 fakes?

That would be around 900 bucks for them, nice dude!

I agree with 90% of what you say, C.O. Jones.

The dude who made the video clearly has issues.

(Heck, he said it himself, more than once.)

True also, many people who lay down cash for a bargain Chibson know exactly what they are getting.

They know they are buying a bargain fake, and they don't care, as long as the headstock logo will fool people, and as long as they don't have to drop genuine dollars for the genuine product.

But there are still the uninformed, and the naive.

More than you might think.

The men and women who have no idea what they are buying, and who don't have the advantage of all this institutional knowledge here on the Gibson Guitar board.

Usually it's some parent who is about to purchase a guitar for their kid.

Those are the ones I like to look out for, and those are the ones who could benefit from such an instructional video.

A few years ago my neighbor lady approached me about a Fender Strat that she was considering buying for her teenage daughter.

She wanted advice on the guitar, and the price specifically.

Lady thought she could afford the guitar, but not an amplifier, not all in the same month anyway.

I went over to the pawnshop and examined the guitar.

It was a fake, and a clumsy one at that.

The cheapest maple neck I have ever seen, with an aftermarket Fender sticker applied, and cobbled onto a Strat-copy body (probably a Rage or a Del Toro).

Fret ends so sharp they could snag your skin off.

There was no serial number, and the neck plate (four screw) had no Fender icon on it.

They wanted $350 for it.

I advised the pawn shop owner to "Please advertise this guitar as a Fender copy, and not the genuine article, and do lower the price, okay?" and went on home.

I ended up gifting the lady are really pretty (new) Dean Vendetta that I had picked up in Texas on a whim recently.

It was dark, natural (almost koa) wood grain, and a beautiful axe for the price I had picked it up for.

I advised her to use the money she had saved up for a nice Roland cube amp that I had seen on sale at the Fret Shop.

The teenager had a really great birthday!

The humanity!

badbluesplayer,

I see you are from Jonesborough.

I spent a lot of time in Johnson City and Piney Flats, TN, just a couple of years ago.

We had to do routine acceptance flights on some Bell 407 helicopters that were being modified there by Bell, and then fly them here to Redstone Arsenal.

27 birds in all, and such a good time we had up there in your neck of the woods.

I bought my Ibanez Jet King JTK40 there in Johnson City, at a mall music store right next to The Doubletree where I was staying.

Factory silver case, Ibanez bigsby-style bridge, and a really solid, wonderful guitar over the past few years.

Very versatile it is.

Anyway.

Beautiful country where you live, the Tri-Cities.

I love it up there!

Of course. I have a fake case that I use when I take my guitars out, so I can leave the real ones home, one for every guitar. I take case theft and the black market for good cases seriously. I'm working on my YouTube channel about Case Theft Awareness.

rct

Since you bring it up, I am very into cheap cases and amp covers.

Helps avoid theft, you see. As you might remember, I have exquisite taste in stuff. So when I used to take my "boutique" amps out, there were always in those cheap Fender amp covers, so they appear as reissue Fender amps or the Blues Deluxe/Deville stuff. Pretty handy.

Stick a Gibson in an Epi case or an SKB. Why not? When it's just sitting there, thieves of opportunity are non the wiser.

I do recall though, at a benefit an individual lost their "nice" Strat because someone grabbed the wrong case. I remember it because oddly, I was accused of it at first. But the guy who did the deed reached out when he discovered the error, guitar was returned and all was good. It was just really weird that they would think it would have been me.

Reading through all the responses.

I don't think the issue is so much who cares what about fake guitars.

Person A makes a post about a song, a band, a guitar, a video or topic that they think is cool. That person sees that their thread got a few hits and goes back to check it out. But it turns out to only be people commenting about how much they don't like whatever it is the OP was about. [confused]

I know it's just the internet, but to the OPer it feels like a virtual back-of-the-hand. :-({|=

just my .02 :rolleyes:

Re; calling internet strangers 'friend'.

It's a southern colloquialism.

Like saying, "friend Jim', or "brother Bill", or even calling people 'sir'.

It's a form of politeness and gentility that is designed to be cheerful and disarming, particularly when engaging in antagonistic tit-for-tat.

Sometimes it works, and other times it just pi$$es people off worse.

I get the colloquialism, in person, but in writing it sounds impolite. Kinda like saying "You people."

I don't like people calling me "boss." I'm not your "boss" and don't want to be. The last person who called me "boss" I said: "I'm not your boss because if I was, you'd be fired."

I'm from the big city...when people end the sentence with "friend", I run...

Got the time...f r i e n d? - Now my watch is gone.

Got change for a five...f r i e n d? - Now my wallet is gone.

Can I check out your guitar...f r i e n d? - Well, you get it.

Reading through all the responses.

I don't think the issue is so much who cares what about fake guitars.

Person A makes a post about a song, a band, a guitar, a video or topic that they think is cool. That person sees that their thread got a few hits and goes back to check it out. But it turns out to only be people commenting about how much they don't like whatever it is the OP was about. [confused]

I know it's just the internet, but to the OPer it feels like a virtual back-of-the-hand. :-({|=

just my .02 :rolleyes:

Problem we are having here, is it's hard to tell if the back-of-the-hand is real or fake.

I get the colloquialism, in person, but in writing it sounds impolite. Kinda like saying "You people."

I don't like people calling me "boss." I'm not your "boss" and don't want to be. The last person who called me "boss" I said: "I'm not your boss because if I was, you'd be fired."

I'm from the big city...when people end the sentence with "friend", I run...

Got the time...f r i e n d? - Now my watch is gone.

Got change for a five...f r i e n d? - Now my wallet is gone.

Can I check out your guitar...f r i e n d? - Well, you get it.

I can see that, glp2012.

I have traveled the world, but have spent more than my fair share of time down here in the south.

Things are quite a bit different, speech-wise, from the deep south to New York City to Boston and even to San Francisco.

Down here, people order a pizza.

In NYC, they drop in and get a slice.

Some places in the midwest call a pizza a pie.

Same thing with sodas.

Some parts of the country say 'pop'.

Other parts, every soda is called a 'coke'. "What kind of coke you want, a coke coke, or a Dr Pepper?"

Traveling around these parts, it's 'sir' and 'ma'am', and 'friend' or 'brother'.

Whenever I visit NYC to see the daughter-in-law, people rarely engage in passing chit-chat whatsoever.

She's always on to my wife, "MOM, stop saying hi to people and being nice. It weirds them out!"

If it will make people happier around here, I will dispense with the 'sir' and the 'good friend' and all the other pleasantries.

I'm adaptable I guess, in my own way.

Problem we are having here, is it's hard to tell if the back-of-the-hand is real or fake.

It apparently has something to do with whether the sides of the hand in question has 'wings'.

I'm not sure.

I'll have to go back and watch the video again.

:unsure:

This guy seems to have more than his share of experience with counterfeit imports.

Worth a watch, if you are fond of buying from pawn shops and craigslist.

Especially entertaining video from time-hack 8:45 onward.

[mellow]

Well made informative vid. Thanks for posting.

1464538489[/url]' post='1773613']

Since you bring it up, I am very into cheap cases and amp covers.

Helps avoid theft, you see. As you might remember, I have exquisite taste in stuff. So when I used to take my "boutique" amps out, there were always in those cheap Fender amp covers, so they appear as reissue Fender amps or the Blues Deluxe/Deville stuff. Pretty handy.

Stick a Gibson in an Epi case or an SKB. Why not? When it's just sitting there, thieves of opportunity are non the wiser.

I do recall though, at a benefit an individual lost their "nice" Strat because someone grabbed the wrong case. I remember it because oddly, I was accused of it at first. But the guy who did the deed reached out when he discovered the error, guitar was returned and all was good. It was just really weird that they would think it would have been me.

I have 5 guitars and 2 cases. I love reading about RCT and his cases's posts! Only have I authentic case for the Gold Top that came with it but I use a fake case for the 12 string now. It didn't come with one. Disappoints me that Epiphones don't come with cases. You would think $400.00 for a Epiph. Would come with one when you buy it from a music store like Dietze Music. Anyway, I admit to be an amature but I would never buy a guitar on the net sight unseen. And I believe in the old saying; "You Get What You Pay For." I think most people realize this too.

Archived