Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking about an AJ

Tman

Went to instrumental music today because the Gibson bus was there and they have some limited edition stuff to show. My wife has requested that I thin my herd but I can get something new if it is revenue neutral (my idea actually). SO I played a few nice Les Pauls, an ES 175 an amazing Cherry burst quilt maple hummingbird then a flame maple AJ. WOW the AJ blew me away. If I do it, it'll be between that and an acacia J-45, IF I do something like get another acoustic and they can show me an acacia to compare.

Would be hard to beat that AJ.

I hear you. All I can say is it really blew me away. Like playing a J200 but with a slim tapered 60s neck. Won't be for everyone but man I loved it. I have a rosewood J45 custom so it would definitely fill a void for me... As I try to reason my way through this.

If'n it sounds so good, grab it and never regret it down the road. (or complain about it later) Advanced Jumbos are Rosewood. Maple is one of our most prevalent wood supplies. It is great for furniture, wood stoves, fireplaces and homes for cute caterpillars and or inch worms. Just my lowly opinion, to be taken with two grains of salt along with guitar marketing. I do love "Gibson Flat Tops" mahogany and rosewood. Maple for "arch tops" on some models. Remember, 3 grains of salt along with experience.

If'n it sounds so good, grab it and never regret it down the road. (or complain about it later)

Agree completely!

Maple is one of our most prevalent wood supplies. It is great for furniture, wood stoves, fireplaces and homes for cute caterpillars and or inch worms.

And Gibson J-200's?

Would you want a maple D-28?

Ha ha, good one ; ). From the "ones that got away" file, I had the opportunity to purchase a D-15 prototype that was sycamore, back when the D-15's were rolling out. $425 from the Martin dealer.

To the OP: kudos for keeping an open ear and open mind, and allowing an atypical model show you what it can do. But you already know about that; you have a J-45 Rosewood.

IMG_0269_zpsypkdtm6f.jpg

And: J-45 Acacia ? ? ? Honeyburst? Hmmm. . .

And: J-45 Acacia ? ? ? Honeyburst? Hmmm. . .

Exactly. Love the honey burst. And I just realized that Koa, I love the look and sound, is in the Acacia family (or genus or species, need to read up).

I had to leave before I totally committed. John, the proprietor, said, "Hey listen Phil, let me order the Acacia if they'll build one (they are out of them in Montana but said they'd look and see if they could), and I think they will, and you can play them both and I'll keep whichever one you don't want!". Can't beat that. I'll find out this week if they'll do it.

I like unusual guitars. Especially Gibsons.

Here is the bus that was parked outside today:

IMG_0773_zpsnkqeqpya.jpg

IMG_0770_zpsqowjs8he.jpg

IMG_0774_zpsubl7947d.jpg

IMG_0775_zps0zb3crbp.jpg

Notice the Jack Daniels stuff. People were already partying.

I'm one of those guys who thinks all Hummingbirds should be square-shoulder hogs, all J45s should be slope-shouldered hogs, and all AJs should be slope-shouldered and rosewood. Then, I played and bought a koa AJ (still having a rosewood) because whenever I play it, it's like going to another planet. The rosewood one does the same thing in its own way. Awesome and immensely enjoyable instruments........ All the various renditions of these vaunted guitars are excellent instruments. If the guitar is for "you," then it's for "you." Hell, now I've even got a walnut J100. It's all good. Play the ones that are an extension of who you are. Extremely few of us make any real money at playing, so we better be enjoying it, and it's hard to enjoy it if you don't like the guitar.

Great photos!

Well, you don't want me to weigh in, because we cause trouble together Tman, but here I go just the same. I can't help it!

I played one of those maple Hummingbirds (I'm sure it's probably the same model, the 2014 Quilt?), and man oh man. It is awesome. There's something special about maple Gibsons. And I don't think a maple/spruce AJ is any weirder than a maple/spruce Hummingbird, and I can attest that that maple Hummingbird is fab.

AJs in general (at least in my theory) were meant to compete with LOUD guitars, like Martins, and they succeed. I can't imagine what a maple AJ would sound like, but I couldn't imagine what a maple Hummingbird would sound like either. I wonder if it's like a slope-shoulder Dove? (I somehow think that would still be different.) I think the AJ is meant to go beyond vocal accompaniment and into the realm of banjo-slaying. I have to imagine the maple, especially if it's quilted maple, adds back in some more of that Gibson thump?

I don't know. I am just steam-of-conscious-ing here.

I think the best idea is the one the proprietor had. But hey, you like what you like. I think you should just keep going back in and fiddling. I will always remember that maple Hummingbird I really enjoyed. My Hummingbird Vintage is a better guitar, but I really connected with that maple one. Maybe that AJ is to you what that Bird was to me. There was just no room in my herd for it, but if you have room... hard to pass on that...

Also, you sold your maple SJ-200 and kept your walnut SJ-100, so maybe it's high time you got maple back in your life.

Just thinking aloud. These kinds of problems are fun, and I'm glad it's you and not me!

Im partial to a Rosewood AJ... Though I do have true custom shop Birdseye as well as a couple true Custom shop Koa Models from the early 90s..

this is one Guitar model you have to do a side by side comparison with.. Ive played a few that were okay.. But I bought quite a few that were outstanding..

I like the AJs.. for the Buck.. a great guitar and very under rated.. this is one model of Guitar I have had very little issues with.. other than the early fullerplast cracking years..

I'm one of those guys who thinks all Hummingbirds should be square-shoulder hogs, all J45s should be slope-shouldered hogs, and all AJs should be slope-shouldered and rosewood. Then, I played and bought a koa AJ (still having a rosewood) because whenever I play it, it's like going to another planet. The rosewood one does the same thing in its own way. Awesome and immensely enjoyable instruments........ All the various renditions of these vaunted guitars are excellent instruments. If the guitar is for "you," then it's for "you." Hell, now I've even got a walnut J100. It's all good. Play the ones that are an extension of who you are. Extremely few of us make any real money at playing, so we better be enjoying it, and it's hard to enjoy it if you don't like the guitar.

I agree, "If the foo sh!ts, wear it!" Not sure what I'll end up doing but I was completely surprised by what I normally attribute to a super jumbo came out of a wide X braced loud AJ maple guitar. And at 1.5K less.

Congrats on the Walnut. That is an amazing guitar.

Great photos!

Well, you don't want me to weigh in, because we cause trouble together Tman, but here I go just the same. I can't help it!

I played one of those maple Hummingbirds (I'm sure it's probably the same model, the 2014 Quilt?), and man oh man. It is awesome. There's something special about maple Gibsons. And I don't think a maple/spruce AJ is any weirder than a maple/spruce Hummingbird, and I can attest that that maple Hummingbird is fab.

AJs in general (at least in my theory) were meant to compete with LOUD guitars, like Martins, and they succeed. I can't imagine what a maple AJ would sound like, but I couldn't imagine what a maple Hummingbird would sound like either. I wonder if it's like a slope-shoulder Dove? (I somehow think that would still be different.) I think the AJ is meant to go beyond vocal accompaniment and into the realm of banjo-slaying. I have to imagine the maple, especially if it's quilted maple, adds back in some more of that Gibson thump?

I don't know. I am just steam-of-conscious-ing here.

I think the best idea is the one the proprietor had. But hey, you like what you like. I think you should just keep going back in and fiddling. I will always remember that maple Hummingbird I really enjoyed. My Hummingbird Vintage is a better guitar, but I really connected with that maple one. Maybe that AJ is to you what that Bird was to me. There was just no room in my herd for it, but if you have room... hard to pass

I was hoping you'd weigh in, even to cause trouble [scared] . Congrats on getting (re-getting the WM-00)!

You hit the nail on the head, really with everything you said. After playing both the quilt hummingbird and also the maple AJ I thought, "Damn, I miss the Gibson maple sound and feel." And with that slim tapered neck, I was helpless. And yes, banjo slaying. Man it really projected. Also, btw, played a heritage Cherry burst J-200 that was to die for (looked like honey burst to me) but at close to 5 grand, too expensive to stay revenue neutral. Didn't pull the trigger on the AJ but we'll see what happens this week. Will be very interesting to see if Gibson will do another Acacia for Istrumental music. I bet they do, 5 star dealer and all.

Cheers

Im partial to a Rosewood AJ... Though I do have true custom shop Birdseye as well as a couple true Custom shop Koa Models from the early 90s..

this is one Guitar model you have to do a side by side comparison with.. Ive played a few that were okay.. But I bought quite a few that were outstanding..

I like the AJs.. for the Buck.. a great guitar and very under rated.. this is one model of Guitar I have had very little issues with.. other than the early fullerplast cracking years..

You wouldn't happen to have sound clips of the Birdseye Maple and Koa would you? Damn that would be uncanny, exactly what I am looking at (or essentially so). I need another guitar like a..... But it will be revenue neutral. That is the mantra...

I was hoping you'd weigh in, even to cause trouble [scared] . Congrats on getting (re-getting the WM-00)!

You hit the nail on the head, really with everything you said. After playing both the quilt hummingbird and also the maple AJ I thought, "Damn, I miss the Gibson maple sound and feel." And with that slim tapered neck, I was helpless. And yes, banjo slaying. Man it really projected. Also, btw, played a heritage Cherry burst J-200 that was to die for (looked like honey burst to me) but at close to 5 grand, too expensive to stay revenue neutral. Didn't pull the trigger on the AJ but we'll see what happens this week. Will be very interesting to see if Gibson will do another Acacia for Istrumental music. I bet they do, 5 star dealer and all.

Cheers

Well, just between you and me, I grabbed one of those heritage cherry sunburst SJ-200s, brand new for $3500 (Wichita Band in Kansas, aka EM Shorts Guitars, family-run business that won't be undersold and really goes the extra mile). I just haven't said anything about it because it had to come from the factory and such (last one!), and I had to delay delivery because of work, but it'll be here Wednesday!!!!! This is one reason deciding to get the WM-00 was such a difficult decision for me, because I'd been planning this SJ-200 forever and thought it was a little weird and bougee of me (frankly, I was worried of what the Old Lady might think). I don't know if I can handle all the excitement! My bank account is angry, but hey--I have a job.

You wouldn't happen to have sound clips of the Birdseye Maple and Koa would you? Damn that would be uncanny, exactly what I am looking at (or essentially so). I need another guitar like a..... But it will be revenue neutral. That is the mantra...

Can you explain this revenue neutral concept to a neophyte? Pretend I'm not actually an adult and cannot understand adult-like concepts (I know, this will take a real suspension of disbelief), and I may get it. I think I have a financial learning disability, which is probably why I buy so many guitars. However, I think I could use this revenue neutral concept to my advantage.

Not precisely what you are looking for, but I had to go on YouTube and listen to a few of these maple AJs.

Maple vs. rosewood AJ comparison

AJ maple

(I really dug this one)

(and this one)

(sounds like a Gibson lap piano)

Birdseye maple from the '90s!

Really does sound like some bizarre mix of a J-45, SJ-200, Dove, and a Martin. And maybe a piano.

Well, just between you and me, I grabbed one of those heritage cherry sunburst SJ-200s, brand new for $3500 (Wichita Band in Kansas, aka EM Shorts Guitars, family-run business that won't be undersold and really goes the extra mile). I just haven't said anything about it because it had to come from the factory and such (last one!), and I had to delay delivery because of work, but it'll be here Wednesday!!!!! This is one reason deciding to get the WM-00 was such a difficult decision for me, because I'd been planning this SJ-200 forever and thought it was a little weird and bougee of me (frankly, I was worried of what the Old Lady might think). I don't know if I can handle all the excitement! My bank account is angry, but hey--I have a job.

Can you explain this revenue neutral concept to a neophyte? Pretend I'm not actually an adult and cannot understand adult-like concepts (I know, this will take a real suspension of disbelief), and I may get it. I think I have a financial learning disability, which is probably why I buy so many guitars. However, I think I could use this revenue neutral concept to my advantage.

Not precisely what you are looking for, but I had to go on YouTube and listen to a few of these maple AJs.

AJ maple

(I really dug this one)

(and this one)

Really does sound like some bizarre mix of a J-45, SJ-200, Dove, and a Martin. And maybe a piano.

Jesse, I am absolutely speechless! You go dude!

My god I loved that heritage sunburst J-200! WOW, ferking unbelievable.

I am so happy for you!

Duluth Dan had a good idea. I couldn't come up with a good metaphor so perhaps the conversation where the concept was born.

Tman's wife: How many guitars do you have now?

Tman: 8

TW: Wow, why do need that many?

T: I need examples of each type of pickup plus I need acoustics with different types of wood in order to write the future Grammy winner that I put on hold all those years. Plus have you seen how many guitars The Rev, Duane, and Cookieman have?

TW : That doesn't matter. Where does it stop?

T: 8+1. Tell you what, after this next one I'll sell one or more to get it so it will be revenue neutral. AND I will turn the other way when I get the future Amazon thank you for your purchase emails.

TW: Deal

AJ maple

(I really dug this one)

(and this one)

I'm afraid these add excellerent to the fire. The 2 Korean guys had a better set up and to my ears sounded truest to what I heard, Really does sound like a 200. The guy with a capo that you liked sounded great and it reminded me of George Harrison from All Things Must Pass, Run of the Mill. Loving the sound plus the feel is outstanding.

Speaking of Run of the Mill, I've changed it a bit: Everyone has choice. When to or not to raise there voices - in pursuit of guitars........Needs a bit of work.

Jesse, "Revenue Nuetral" goes like this:

Me: I am going to buy a new guitar.

My First Wife: "Great, what are you going to sell to offset the cost?

Me: Your piano..... [biggrin]

Dan, are you adjusting well to sleeping in the doghouse?

First - Congrats on your new Cherry burst Heritage J200. While I almost always grab by J45Koa to play, and I know my Hummingbird TV is (one of the ) Holy Grail(s)... my SJ200 is my favorite. Sounds perfect with my voice,

Second - "Revenue Neutral" , more commonly referred to as "Budget Neutral, as described above with metaphorical, whimsical conversations with the Wife Who Controls The Purse Strings - means you pay for the new guitar with ZERO impact on your household finances. So, you do not affect how much is spent on food, cars, house, etc. How much is saved. How much might be saved, etc. Somewhat theoretically - it would mean in government, for example, in order to get a bill passed to provide funding for a new program providing food to the needy - the sponsor of the bill would have to agree to defund/delete a program to provide clothes for the needy. More often, politicians will call something 'neutral' if they can start a program, for example, to provide drug counseling, by adding a tax to the sale of drugs. Not really kosher - but that's politics.

I'm afraid these add excellerent to the fire.

Accelerant, indeed.

Jesse_ has assembled quite the listening assignment. There are worse chores to have to do. 'Can't believe the demo of the

included a very cool fingerstyle rendition of the bluegrass standard Grandfather's Clock @ 2:23. The Yank selling his AJ might've been out of tune, but this demo by WantMe Sound Crew showed that although it is the nature of the maple AJ to sound crisp, their bass can be found when mic'ed accordingly. Anyone know what mic was used here? BK? Anyone?

Jesse, I am absolutely speechless! You go dude!

My god I loved that heritage sunburst J-200! WOW, ferking unbelievable.

I am so happy for you!

I'm so happy too! Lifetime (well, much of a lifetime) of lust and a year or two (and more off and on) of obsession. Hopefully I'll still be happy when I play it. :) I played a couple recently in Texas, and they were sublime. People keep saying the "Limited" ones (cherry in this case) are really something special. Maybe they use the best woods for the limited editions or make them in the custom shop or something? Or maybe the finish makes it sound better. :)

Jesse, "Revenue Nuetral" goes like this:

Me: I am going to buy a new guitar.

My First Wife: "Great, what are you going to sell to offset the cost?

Me: Your piano..... [biggrin]

Ah ha! I just bought her some underwear, and then instead, it was all, "How can you afford this underwear?" I said, well, babes, I went out and got a job.

Duluth Dan had a good idea. I couldn't come up with a good metaphor so perhaps the conversation where the concept was born.

Tman's wife: How many guitars do you have now?

Tman: 8

TW: Wow, why do need that many?

T: I need examples of each type of pickup plus I need acoustics with different types of wood in order to write the future Grammy winner that I put on hold all those years. Plus have you seen how many guitars The Rev, Duane, and Cookieman have?

TW : That doesn't matter. Where does it stop?

T: 8+1. Tell you what, after this next one I'll sell one or more to get it so it will be revenue neutral. AND I will turn the other way when I get the future Amazon thank you for your purchase emails.

TW: Deal

Stopping is hard, isn't it... I wonder if the internet is to blame. However, one thing I know, is that gals binge-shopped long before Amazon, so... uh... maybe somehow that makes us right. Especially if we say, "No, honey; you are right" ............hey where did this guitar come from? I must have won that raffle I forgot about! Revenue neutral (if I buy you some lacey underpants...)

I'm afraid these add excellerent to the fire. The 2 Korean guys had a better set up and to my ears sounded truest to what I heard, Really does sound like a 200. The guy with a capo that you liked sounded great and it reminded me of George Harrison from All Things Must Pass, Run of the Mill. Loving the sound plus the feel is outstanding.

Speaking of Run of the Mill, I've changed it a bit: Everyone has choice. When to or not to raise there voices - in pursuit of guitars........Needs a bit of work.

Yep, I think you got it exactly. All Things Must Pass really added fuel to my fire when the special edition came out (2002? 2001?). The longer-scale Gibsons sure capo up nice, and with maple bodies, it just pops. I think with a maple AJ, you get something like an SJ-200 in a different, more projective and aggressive shape/bracing. It's kind of a perfect arrangement for you, because you have an SJ in walnut. The SJ body is more diffuse, full and enveloping, but the AJ body/bracing are made to cook. Rosewood I think gives them a deeper (not bassier, but literally deeper) tone, where I think with maple you could possibly hurt someone. Might lose the banjo-player permanently (actually, I think they were designed in the '30s for barn dances, so rather than vocal accompaniment like the J-45 or SJ-200, they were made to be heard along with really loud folk instruments like banjos and fiddles--someone made one in maple because they wanted a new banjo player)

Woops, I missed some posts!

First - Congrats on your new Cherry burst Heritage J200. While I almost always grab by J45Koa to play, and I know my Hummingbird TV is (one of the ) Holy Grail(s)... my SJ200 is my favorite. Sounds perfect with my voice,

Second - "Revenue Neutral" , more commonly referred to as "Budget Neutral, as described above with metaphorical, whimsical conversations with the Wife Who Controls The Purse Strings - means you pay for the new guitar with ZERO impact on your household finances. So, you do not affect how much is spent on food, cars, house, etc. How much is saved. How much might be saved, etc. Somewhat theoretically - it would mean in government, for example, in order to get a bill passed to provide funding for a new program providing food to the needy - the sponsor of the bill would have to agree to defund/delete a program to provide clothes for the needy. More often, politicians will call something 'neutral' if they can start a program, for example, to provide drug counseling, by adding a tax to the sale of drugs. Not really kosher - but that's politics.

Thank you! I sure hope it's everything I've dreamed. I can't imagine it not being. Only two more days, and the Old Lady and I will be trapped in the house, staring out the window looking for a brown truck. And, better yet, I paid for it by instating a tax on Wall Street speculation!

I actually did pay for my WM-00 with money I got for a work trip to Texas (nevermind that I already spent the money during said trip). My strategy is to pretend to be revenue neutral.

I do plan to sell my Martin 7-28 though. Great guitar, just a bit too expensive/precious to be the travel guitar I bought it to be. And I kept playing small Gibsons like the LG-2 A/E and thinking, "Darn... I want this..."

Accelerant, indeed.

Jesse_ has assembled quite the listening assignment. There are worse chores to have to do. 'Can't believe the demo of the

included a very cool fingerstyle rendition of the bluegrass standard Grandfather's Clock @ 2:23. The Yank selling his AJ might've been out of tune, but this demo by WantMe Sound Crew showed that although it is the nature of the maple AJ to sound crisp, their bass can be found when mic'ed accordingly. Anyone know what mic was used here? BK? Anyone?

It looks like a different mic in each of the two videos. Sure sounds nice!

Archived