Gibson Brands Forums

what sight has the info for? one of a kinds ....

slimt

Its in the title... in Canada here.. we have the most useless Gibson dealers.. I guess its because one provider Of the Gibson Guitars that cannot make things happen..

any info on the Gallery Gibson Guitars ( J200s) ? are they still being made? and what types of Ornamentation?? wheres a catalog for this model?

also.,... the Monarch J250... with the jewels.. it still being made or is it being made with out the jewels..? I guess a better question on this model.. what makes it worth a list of $ 21.000 ? Now that brazilian is out and ebony is out? or is it?

I could sure use some information....

Thanks

Im in the market for 1 of each...

Back in the day , I had a good source.. but over time Things changed on his part and mine.. Not in a bad way friend wize though..

About five years ago or so when Taylor and Spanish company Madinter bought up the rights to ebony production/manufacturing in Cameroon, Taylor issued the decree in Wood and Steel magazine (a good mag if you get a chance to read it) that really cool environmental-type people want spotted ebony (black with white or other coloration) and not the historical all-black ebony (only one in ten trees harvested has all-black ebony).

Here's an article:

Interesting to note,however, that Taylor's high end guitars all continued to feature all-black ebony.

So, yes, ebony is still okay to use. It's just that Taylor-Madinter owns production rights to a sizable portion of it and dictates the cost of the premium stuff to companies not fortunate enough to own a forest of it.

And by the way, the guitars you've mentioned have recently appeared on Ebay, for example

SJ-200 Gallery (it's a 2016 so they're still in production).

And try this site for historical info.

And if all else fails, call Don Ruffato at Gibson Bozeman and ask him to help you. He's a friend of the forum (ask BirdMan81). But he's also busy so give him some slack.

Hope this helps and post pix when you get 'em. (It's the closest I'll ever get to those guitars.)

Archived