Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Telecaster

fretplay

I was thinking of getting a telecaster. I had an American made early 70s some time ago which I liked, don't know why I sold it but there you go.

I was thinking of a Japan made 70s or 80s that was a good time for them perhaps Matsomoku made but I'm wind open to ideas so if any members can help I wonder be most grateful.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with quapman, the Mexican Fenders are fantastic guitars.

I honestly don't think there was an era or time when a bad Telecaster was ever produced.

(Though, much like the AMF years of Harley Davidson, many people would say that the CBS years produced some inferior models.)

The Japanese-made Teles were quite nice, or so they say.

At that age though, getting a used one is down to how well it was taken care of by the previous owner, and therefore all the usual inspection concerns apply.

In general, I have never seen an appreciable difference in quality or tone between the US-made, Japanese-made, Mexican, or even the newer Chinese-made Fenders (Modern Player series).

I own a 2012 Modern Player Telecaster Plus, and I must say, I am astounded at how well the thing plays, the quality of the fit and finish, and the versatility of the 3 pickup configurations (with coil-tapping on the bridge humbucker even). It and my Les Paul copper-top are my two main work-horse performing guitars.

For sheer cool points, nothing can beat a vintage late-1950's or early 1960's Telecaster, but then again, those things cost more than the average home mortgage.

I think that, in the end, it's going to come down to you stumbling upon just the right one that feels right in your hands, stays in tune, and that which sings to you.

(No matter what nation of origin, or what year group.)

:)

I was thinking of getting a telecaster. I had an American made early 70s some time ago which I liked, don't know why I sold it but there you go.

I was thinking of a Japan made 70s or 80s that was a good time for them perhaps Matsomoku made but I'm wind open to ideas so if any members can help I wonder be most grateful.

Ive owned a few teles in my time. Had a mim in 06, then a Fender Deluxe few years later, then a classic vibe last year. All played great tho admittedly the deluxe had the best neck of the 3, the pickups on the deluxe were really only slightly hotter than the mim, not a huge difference. Ive played a Custom Shop model or two and honestly didnt think they sounded any better than my Deluxe, it just looked better.

Right now Musiciansfriend has a sale going, the butterscotch blonde FSR Teles normally 700 are 499. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-special-edition-deluxe-ash-telecaster?source=3GOA6EQA&nan_pid=1851554729

I am trying hard not to purchase another guitar lol..

Also, on that MF "Sale" Telecaster...be aware that MF "delivery times" are notoriously WRONG!

I also ordered a "Sale" guitar, at a great price, from them, the first week of last November,

which their "ship date" was "expected" to be less than 2 weeks later. It turned into 3

Months later! And, I had to call to "remind" them, I was already on the list, when they

finally did get the guitar I ordered in stock! They did send it to me, 2nd day Air, at no

charge, and it arrived unscathed. So, it all worked out, alright. BUT, I was not impressed,

with their initial "follow up," after my order was made. So...

CB

I just bought the American Special Telecaster Blonde that Charlie Brown is talking about. I think I paid $800, but the made in Mexico Telecasters are a great deal too. I'd look for an older one that didn't get used too much (maybe on Craigslist?). It's a great guitar to pull out and start writing some music. Pretty simple too...a couple of knobs, one switch, two pickups, and six strings. Oh, and I really like the simple, vintage style brass bridge, but I primarily play bass so I like to keep it simple.

Also, on that MF "Sale" Telecaster...be aware that MF "delivery times" are notoriously WRONG!

I also ordered a "Sale" guitar, at a great price, from them, the first week of last November,

which their "ship date" was "expected" to be less than 2 weeks later. It turned into 3

Months later! And, I had to call to "remind" them, I was already on the list, when they

finally did get the guitar I ordered in stock! They did send it to me, 2nd day Air, at no

charge, and it arrived unscathed. So, it all worked out, alright. BUT, I was not impressed,

with their initial "follow up," after my order was made. So...

CB

Ive ordered from them over a dozen times, several gits and strings, even more than Sweetwater and AMS and never had a prolem. The one time i ordered something out of stock, they told the date it would come in and i didnt have to remind them. But, i realize they are a big chain and part of guitar center so im sure theyve made some mistakes somewhere. My only complaint is how cheap their financing is, i have several credit cards with high limits and a credit score well above 700 yet they seem to refuse to give me more than a 1100 dollar limit on their card? That is the one thing about them that irks me. But, ive gotten les pauls 500 bucks from them, their open box deals are outstanding.

I may even buy another open box les paul, 500 bucks for a gibson that has a tiny scratch? Why not?

To reiterate what others have said already…

I've got a MMI Classic Series '60s Telecaster and I love it. Not sure if you're a maple or rosewood fretboard guy, but this one's got a rosewood fretboard—which I prefer. Main reason I bought it (well, the price was key, too).

If you're thinking of buying online, go with Musician's Friend. Have always ordered from them, with "0" issues.

Ive ordered from them over a dozen times, several gits and strings, even more than Sweetwater and AMS and never had a prolem. The one time i ordered something out of stock, they told the date it would come in and i didnt have to remind them. But, i realize they are a big chain and part of guitar center so im sure theyve made some mistakes somewhere. My only complaint is how cheap their financing is, i have several credit cards with high limits and a credit score well above 700 yet they seem to refuse to give me more than a 1100 dollar limit on their card? That is the one thing about them that irks me. But, ive gotten les pauls 500 bucks from them, their open box deals are outstanding.

I may even buy another open box les paul, 500 bucks for a gibson that has a tiny scratch? Why not?

Yeah, that's cool! I never really had much, if any, problem with MF, previous to the last incident.

But, I know other people, personally, that have had the same kind of issue, that I recently experienced.

So, I don't think it's "just me?" [biggrin] I will say, I've NEVER had any issue's with Sweetwater, at all!

But, I only get things "Mail Order," that my regular dealer doesn't carry. E.M. Shorts, gets the bulk of

my guitar purchases, unless it's a brand, or model, they can't get, etc. Been dealing with them, for over

30 years, now. [thumbup]

CB

To reiterate what others have said already…

I've got a MMI Classic Series '60s Telecaster and I love it. Not sure if you're a maple or rosewood fretboard guy, but this one's got a rosewood fretboard—which I prefer. Main reason I bought it (well, the price was key, too).

If you're thinking of buying online, go with Musician's Friend. Have always ordered from them, with "0" issues.

Yeah, I have one of those, as well. A Classic Series '60's White one, with rosewood fingerboard! Great Guitar! [thumbup][biggrin] The only thing I did to it was change the "geenish/white" pickguard, to a black one, as a personal preference thing.

7484c2ea-6b68-4d90-a972-f8fe2100daac_zps1436b2f6.jpg

CB

I've got an American select, and American standard, and to me if it's "bang for you buck" you are looking for, check out the American Special. Great tele's and strat's for the money. I got my American Special strat used for $549 and couldn't be happier with it.

I've played a few of the teles in this line and they have all been impressive.

NHTom

I've went through quite a few tele's. I always like having one around. The are fun to have around. These are the last three I've hade. The Am STD Bender was recently sold. Since I'm downsizing I'm going to put the Am STD red one back to it's original pickup and sell it and keep the Select. I like the looks, sound and playability of it.

teles_zps3ff12e46.jpg

If you're looking at American Standard Teles, one thing to be aware of is the transition they went through in 2013. Before 2013, they were the classic block of wood with no belly cut and lower output pickups. In 2013, they sculpted the body and added hotter pickups, which irritated some purists. I have a 2012 and a 2013 American Standard. I like the newer body shape and the hotter Broadcaster bridge pickup in the 2013, but I like the neck pickup much better on the 2012.

I picked this one up just a few months ago on Craigslist for $300.00. Its a 2004 MIM. I have not played any other Tele's, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it plays and sounds real nice. I have been impressed. Its a lot of fun to play. Good luck finding what you want!

815B5CB3-0424-4EC0-831E-1F8CCB073685_zps3bcafspu.jpg

Ok, I've never owned a strat or a tele. What is the big difference between the two? A difference in sound? Personally I always loved the looks of the Strat. I picked up a couple of squires and tried them but had no amp, they are a lot lighter then my Gold Top, sort of felt funny or weird to me. Guess just used to playing heavier guitars.

Ok, I've never owned a strat or a tele. What is the big difference between the two? A difference in sound? Personally I always loved the looks of the Strat. I picked up a couple of squires and tried them but had no amp, they are a lot lighter then my Gold Top, sort of felt funny or weird to me. Guess just used to playing heavier guitars.

They're very different in sound, making it worth having one of each if you collect guitars. The 3 pickups on the Strat give you a greater variety of sounds. Many of the classic Strat sounds come from the "2" and "4" switch positions, which give you a combination of the middle pickup and the neck or bridge pickup. The classic Tele has 2 pickups, with the only similarity to the Strat being the bridge pickup. The neck pickup on a classic Tele is small and low output, which produces some very unique sounds. There's a classic modification that can be done to the Tele that involves adding a 4-way switch, which adds a setting that combines both pickups in series for a higher output sound. Anyway, they're definitely different and cool in their own unique ways.

Yeah, I have one of those, as well. A Classic Series '60's White one, with rosewood fingerboard! Great Guitar! [thumbup][biggrin] The only thing I did to it was change the "geenish/white" pickguard, to a black one, as a personal preference thing.

CB

I really like that "sage" green pick guard...

Tele60s1_zpsbcw7r2xh.jpgTele60s2_zpsfpcik1ek.jpg

... but black works, too. [wink]

Archived