Gibson Brands Forums

For Those Of You With Diabetes

Digger

If you don't have diabetes then stop reading now as this will bore the socks off you!

I'm going through a very interesting time with my diabetes control. (diagnosed 16 years ago.)

As a result of dramatic weight loss (diet) I've been reducing my insulin every couple of days. I know we use different measures here than in the US but essentially I've dropped from 68 units of slow release down to 44 units daily. In addition I had dropped the Metformin tablets (2X 1000) I was having every night. Diabex as mine is called, is another form of slow release diabetes sugar control.

Now Tom my doctor has advised that I go back on Metformin and further reduce the insulin, the reason being that insulin is fattening and not that good for you anyway. Better to use Metformin in the long term.

So today I've started on 24 units of insulin (was 68) and will resume Metformin this evening. Obviously I will monitor sugar levels closely for the next couple of days.

Wouldn't it be nice to cut out insulin all together? I wonder if that is possible with reducing weight?

Take control of your disease right now!

Hi,

I'm not an expert on Type 2 Diabetes, but normally it's controlled with tablets but if that doesn't control it then Insulin is used, so I'm guessing that what you need to do is control it and thus negating the need for Insulin.

I've never heard that Insulin is fattening, I've used it for 50 years as I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes as a child.

Regards,

Ian

One worrying side effect from a guitar player’s point of view is Diabetic Cheiroarthropathy which causes a stiffening up of the fingers, it also makes it impossible to put one’s hands together in a prayer sign. I have some problems from this; it makes it so that I can’t keep my thumb behind the neck at the upper fret positions. I have adapted so I play without my thumb, but this style seems to cause concern from other guitar players, but hay ho, it works for me (I haven’t any choice!.)

Regards,

Ian

Hi,

I'm not an expert on Type 2 Diabetes, but normally it's controlled with tablets but if that doesn't control it then Insulin is used, so I'm guessing that what you need to do is control it and thus negating the need for Insulin.

I've never heard that Insulin is fattening, I've used it for 50 years as I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes as a child.

Regards,

Ian

Sorry to hear you are type 1 Ian, and you should know a thing or two about this subject too! My middle daughter is type 1 so I've had some experience myself.

My type 2 required both slow acting insulin and Metformin to achieve control and I have been slowly adjusting my insulin down and adding the Metformin back in as my doctor suggested. I've reduced 10 insulin units and added a tablet with 2 nights between to allow for the slow acting nature of both drugs to stabilise. Both adjustments have proven spot-on as my morning reading has been perfect.

So I've gone from 68 units of insulin down now to 24 units in 5 weeks.

Kellie has a mixture of slow and fast acting insulin, are you the same?

Well done digger. Hope you can minimise your dosage further.

My partner Jan had type 1 and I became quite aware of the signs of a hypo onset. Always had jellybeans or dextrose on standby.

Thanks ME, it seems to be going well so far.

I have jelly beans always nearby but am constantly tempted to snaffle a few as I love them. I can resist the temptation though, but with a lot of effort at times~

Speaking oh Hypos, there is something weird about me in that I always seem to know when I'm low. I know Kellie doesn't, and I assume many others don't either?

In all of this adjusting and even not being able to eat at times I've had some spectacular lows in the past few weeks. Not sure of your measuring system there but we rate good control at between 4 and 6 mmol/L on the blood glucose meter and I've been getting them as low as 2.2 which is flat out hypo territory. I've even woken from a deep sleep realising I was very low.

Maybe that's a difference between Type 1 and Type 2?

Digger: I have friends and relatives with type 2 diabetes, and I would advise getting checked up regularly and being open with your MD. Don't cut it out on your own.

That being said, several of those relatives have cut down their insulin significantly through exercise and diet. Next to no insulin in one case.

Type two appears most malleable, so you're on the right track. Best of luck!

I've learned a lot about this subject in the last few years as soon as I learned I was pre type 2 diabetic.

Type 2 diabetes is interesting because it is essentially the opposite of type 1 but with the same overall result of increased blood sugar. I found out I was "pre diabetic" in 2009 at age 49, the same time I found out I have coronary artery disease. So I did some researching and realized a few things and a few things that can be done about it. Like Digger said, if not interested, you might find the following boring.

First insulin tells the body to "put away sugar" by storing what the body can (which isn't much) and turning the rest into fat. As such it is responsible for the majority of fat production. Since the body can only store about a cup of pasta worth of sugar (that's right starch = sugar as well as sweet sugar), the rest get's turned into fat. Unless you exercise a lot or don't eat much starch and sugar, it's hard not to gain weight as an adult eating typical amounts.

Type 1 is where the pancreas stops making insulin. No insulin, sugar doesn't get put away - increased blood sugar. Need to take insulin.

Type 2 is where genetics combined with a lifetime of eating a predominance of sugar sources (including starches like bread, rice, pasta etc) leads a chronic state of insulin being in the blood. The cells that normally respond to insulin get "tired" of it and stop responding. Kinda like a nagging spouse resulting in not listening anymore. This requires the release of more and more insulin and it's resulting effects on fat production etc. Vicious cycle time. Eventually the cells that normally respond to insulin completely tucker out and don't "put away" sugar any more so therefore when you do a blood sugar measurement, sugar is high - increased blood sugar.

My sugar was borderline high making me pre diabetic. I was also overweight.

Why did I go into that explanation? Because after doing some research into it I found out that indeed one can help control type 2 diabetes by diet. Obviously depends on how severe the diabetes is but one can typically help the situation. Avoid sugars and starches.

In the research I found that it is a myth that alcohol causes a rise in blood sugar because alcohol is an energy source independent of sugar. Wine has very low amounts of sugar in it. Thought you would like that info. I was so interested in the subject I wrote a book about it in 2007.

I am a T1D, what insulin actually does is allow the liver to metabolize glucose for energy. Insulin is a hormone that is delivered from the pancreas through the portal vein in the liver to allow glucose to be used for energy. The liver converts most of what we eat into glucose in some form, protein or fat.

In T1 diabetes the immune system attacks and destroys the islet cells in the pancreas. Islet cells produce insulin, glucagon and other metabolic hormones. Once the destruction reaches a point the pancreas goes into shock and the soon to be T1D goes into the hospital and is diagnosed. This occurs over a short period of time. After medical intervention with insulin therapy T1D often go into a honeymoon period and may seem completely normal until the destruction of the islet cells is complete. Then it is insulin therapy for life since the pancreas no longer makes insulin.

T2 diabetes is different in that the immune system is also in play, however in this case it causes a resistance to or prevents the body from effectively using the insulin that is produced or is decreases the amount of insulin produced.

T1D patients will always need to be on insulin therapy to control blood sugar.

T2D can be controlled via a couple different options. In some cases diet changes and exercise may be enough. In other cases pancreatic stimulants such as Metformin may be prescribed and in other cases insulin therapy may be required or a combination of these therapies may be prescribed.

T2D usually occurs over years before the patient is diagnosed.

I am a T1D, what insulin actually does is allow the liver to metabolize glucose for energy. Insulin is a hormone that is delivered from the pancreas through the portal vein in the liver to allow glucose to be used for energy. The liver converts most of what we eat into glucose in some form, protein or fat.

Nice discussion.

Insulin not only acts on the liver to metabolize glucose for energy but the peripheral cells in the body that use sugar as an energy source as well. It's those cells in the body that stop listening to the call of insulin to take up glucose and use it for energy that forms the basis of type 2 diabetes. Also known as "insulin resistance" of the peripheral cells.

I thought the difference between the 2 types of diabetes was really interesting . I know I didn't know the difference until I really dove into it.

In T1 diabetes the immune system attacks and destroys the islet cells in the pancreas. Islet cells produce insulin, glucagon and other metabolic hormones. Once the destruction reaches a point the pancreas goes into shock and the soon to be T1D goes into the hospital and is diagnosed. This occurs over a short period of time. After medical intervention with insulin therapy T1D often go into a honeymoon period and may seem completely normal until the destruction of the islet cells is complete. Then it is insulin therapy for life since the pancreas no longer makes insulin.

T2 diabetes is different in that the immune system is also in play, however in this case it causes a resistance to or prevents the body from effectively using the insulin that is produced or is decreases the amount of insulin produced.

T1D patients will always need to be on insulin therapy to control blood sugar.

T2D can be controlled via a couple different options. In some cases diet changes and exercise may be enough. In other cases pancreatic stimulants such as Metformin may be prescribed and in other cases insulin therapy may be required or a combination of these therapies may be prescribed.

T2D usually occurs over years before the patient is diagnosed.

Yep that's about right. Also Type 2 diabetes is usually brought on by lifestyle or age.

Also Type 2 diabetes is usually brought on by lifestyle or age.

Or both plus genes. People rarely eat like primitive man subsisting on meat and what they gather (an ancient form of carbohydrate restriction) so those of us, like me, who apparently genetically can't handle an excess of carbohydrates start to develop signs of type 2 diabetes.

Yes and as you approach middle age it's imperative to keep your weight down and not get a "middle age spread" or you risk this annoying disease.

Low during the night and had to eat some jelly beans about 3 am so insulin reduced this morning by another 2 units, now 22.

As Tman said, alcohol (ethanol) does not affect glucose levels, except possibly to reduce it. It is the sugars found in beer, liqueurs, and mixed drinks that cause problems with glucose levels. If you want to consume alcohol, your best option might be to find a liquor you enjoy and sip it neat, on the rocks, or with water or sugarless mixer. Apparently red wine may also be acceptable despite low levels of unfermented sugars.

Red Wine/Blood Glucose

One worrying side effect from a guitar player’s point of view is Diabetic Cheiroarthropathy which causes a stiffening up of the fingers, it also makes it impossible to put one’s hands together in a prayer sign. I have some problems from this; it makes it so that I can’t keep my thumb behind the neck at the upper fret positions. I have adapted so I play without my thumb, but this style seems to cause concern from other guitar players, but hay ho, it works for me (I haven’t any choice!.)

Regards,

Ian

I cant use my thumb to play anymore (not diabetes). I meant to video an example a while ago, but I'm lazy.

As Tman said, alcohol (ethanol) does not affect glucose levels, except possibly to reduce it. It is the sugars found in beer, liqueurs, and mixed drinks that cause problems with glucose levels. If you want to consume alcohol, your best option might be to find a liquor you enjoy and sip it neat, on the rocks, or with water or sugarless mixer. Apparently red wine may also be acceptable despite low levels of unfermented sugars.

Red Wine/Blood Glucose

Bingo. Now do you happen to have a Sauvignon Blanc?

White wine about 2 grams I'd carbs, red 3-4. Still. Low compared to a bag of Cheetos.

Years ago I used to mix scotch with coke so I switched to a lo-cal dry ginger which I learned to like, realising how bad all that sugar was for me.

Then I read about aspartane the artificial sweetner and how bad such sweetners were for you and then drank my scotch straight, and have done so for years now. Then Mum was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer, and subsequently died from that.

Now although I was only having a couple a night, it was strong raw spirits I was pouring down my throat. In addition one of my asthma preventers used twice a day had strong steroids in it. Now I have awful trouble swallowing food and tablets these days, scans said my oesophagus was soft and liable to cause blockages, as I was discovering. Now my answer to that was to fill the glass with water to dilutte the raw spirit as ir passed down my throat I soon got used to that and was pretty happy with the flavour, even though weaker.

As you have read, recently a couple of stays in hospital have made me reassess my drinking and eating and it was an easy decision to reduce food and give up alcohol. My current batch of health problems seem to be centered around my stomach and maybe I've waited too long to act?

I supect that I curently have a blocked bowel so that needs investigating quickly as it can be quite serious if it goes too long.

However thats for tomorrow. Hoever I guess I'm saying dont wait to make changes as you might just have left it too late.

I know some of the aspartame is turned into glucose when it's metabolised in the liver, is that what you're referring to? As in, it could affect a diabetic?

If not, I did some precursory research once, and I think you have to drink 20 cans of diet Coke a day for it to become close to bad for you. Could've been 50 cans or even a hundred, don't remember. Maybe my research is outdated, dunno.

I remember when fast-food joints started serving rice instead of fries after the tabloids over here announced fries were carcinogenic. True; they're DIRECTLY carcinogenic. If you eat 50lbs a day. Which will literally burst your colon on day one, so the long-term effects, well... Moot.

I know some of the aspartame is turned into glucose when it's metabolised in the liver, is that what you're referring to? As in, it could affect a diabetic?

If not, I did some precursory research once, and I think you have to drink 20 cans of diet Coke a day for it to become close to bad for you. Could've been 50 cans or even a hundred, don't remember. Maybe my research is outdated, dunno.

I remember when fast-food joints started serving rice instead of fries after the tabloids over here announced fries were carcinogenic. True; they're DIRECTLY carcinogenic. If you eat 50lbs a day. Which will literally burst your colon on day one, so the long-term effects, well... Moot.

No my reference was regarding other problems that I had read about but it's too far back to remember now sorry. I'm at an age where I'm seeing friends and relatives dropping off their perches regularly and I guess it makes you think about risk management. As such I've continually tried to remove or reduce things in my diet that might cause problems long term.

It's a challenge making long term changes but I seem to be going along alright with it.

For the record I already have a long list of health problems that I'm trying to address or to come to terms with in adjusting my life to work around them.

Probably more on my mind than most.

Digger,

One thing that I've found has a dramatic effect on my diabetic control is exercise, the more I get the less Insulin I need. I'm not talking about the obvious, when I have the exercise, but in general. I've been doing a lot of cycling recently and I'm having to adjust my Insulin downwards. Something to think about.

Ian

Digger,

One thing that I've found has a dramatic effect on my diabetic control is exercise, the more I get the less Insulin I need. I'm not talking about the obvious, when I have the exercise, but in general. I've been doing a lot of cycling recently and I'm having to adjust my Insulin downwards. Something to think about.

Ian

Thanks Ian and I discovered that years ago. Good diet and exercise kept me off insulin for years until I really damaged my back.

Now there isn't much I can do to exercise so that aspect of control have been removed for me. Lots of pain.

When we (eventually) move into town we will swim every morning and that will help but it's too far to drive from here. Also when we move from here and I have much less work, I will have an operation on my back in the hope of resuming walking again. Oh how I miss walking!

Archived