Gibson Brands Forums

Real or Fake Gibson?

JMusic

I need some help. I was told this was a traditional ProII, there is no 10db knob adjustment on the tone and the volume knobs don't click as I have watched but they do pull up to adjust the coil splits. I have run the serial thru and it states that its a 2011, but what model. I was thinking a traditional LP, the guitar is heavy, black case with diamond cuts, The finish looks to be Sunburst. It was in very nice shape and it plays very well. I would like to just know what I spent my money on. Time was the deal and I did my homework on the traditional ProII, everything just went too fast.

Thanks in advance and happy to be part of the LP team.

Chris

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ao142fKvxOWijeRPDIxUh0X_zHrcjw

Hello Chris, welcome to this nice place in the web! [thumbup]

Is it possible for you to provide photos with higher resolution? The guitar seems to be the real deal, but larger pics would make safe statements easier.

The adjustment pot is internal I think. One of the tone pots should be a push/push pot to activate and deactivate the boost function. Selecting either functions should click as you assumed. The volume pots are push/pull pots for humbucker in the pushed down and split coil int the pushed up position.

Anyway, what puzzles me are the pickup covers. The Traditional Pro II came with zebra open-coil pickups, '57 Classic in the neck and a Super '57, which basically is a reverse wound/reverse polarity '57 Classic Plus, in the bridge position. So either someone put covers on them, or the pickups were replaced, or it's a different guitar model. You said there is no boost function - could it be that your guitar is a dealer-exclusive edition? Is the neck a late 50's or a 60's Slim Taper - either were available with the Traditional Pro II?

I'm curious about the pics to come - I'd like to be sure before I congratulate you on your buy! :)

Hello Chris, welcome to this nice place in the web! [thumbup]

Is it possible for you to provide photos with higher resolution? The guitar seems to be the real deal, but larger pics would make safe statements easier.

The adjustment pot is internal I think. One of the tone pots should be a push/push pot to activate and deactivate the boost function. Selecting either functions should click as you assumed. The volume pots are push/pull pots for humbucker in the pushed down and split coil int the pushed up position.

Anyway, what puzzles me are the pickup covers. The Traditional Pro II came with zebra open-coil pickups, '57 Classic in the neck and a Super '57, which basically is a reverse wound/reverse polarity '57 Classic Plus, in the bridge position. So either someone put covers on them, or the pickups were replaced, or it's a different guitar model. You said there is no boost function - could it be that your guitar is a dealer-exclusive edition? Is the neck a late 50's or a 60's Slim Taper - either were available with the Traditional Pro II?

I'm curious about the pics to come - I'd like to be sure before I congratulate you on your buy! :)

I will take more photos later tonight as I am getting ready to leave. Yes, that was what is throwing me off as well. I watched several vids of many ProII and I don't think this is one of them.

Honestly I don't think the axe was ever played, it is spotless. All I know is that it does have the binding, and the neck is straight..lol.

here is a link to my onedrive folder of all the photos I have thus far.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao142fKvxOWijeROCu-VxWykqA4Whg

Thanks for helping again.

Chris

The packing slip must have been changed by mistake. The serial number is different from that of your guitar and also says 2010. Despite of that the model number is interesting, it indicates a Traditional Pro (without the II) with 60's neck, albeit Heritage (Cherry) Sunburst. Anyway, this nodel would also have the zebra open-coil '57 Classic and Super '57 pickups.

Perhaps she really is something different, and the confusion results from the model number of the 2010 guitar with that serial number?

Posting pics to Gibson including the guitar's real serial number along with an inquiry using that form may help: http://www.gibson.com/Gibson/Talk-2-Us.aspx

I will send on to Gibson; they referred to this site and I will include this thread also. I am really just confused now about the whole thing. It's a Les Paul right? It has binding on the neck and body so it's a step up from a studio. I just want to make sure I don't have a $500 axe I paid a grand for....

Anyway, it plays nice, it's heavy as hell, and it's sitting in my studio..

Anymore input?? And thanks for any information.

Chris

I will send on to Gibson; they referred to this site and I will include this thread also. I am really just confused now about the whole thing. It's a Les Paul right? It has binding on the neck and body so it's a step up from a studio. I just want to make sure I don't have a $500 axe I paid a grand for....

Anyway, it plays nice, it's heavy as hell, and it's sitting in my studio..

Anymore input?? And thanks for any information.

Chris

I guess you alreay know that the finish surfaces - glossy top and peghead front, satin sides, back and neck - are that of a Traditional Pro and Traditional Pro II. However, there have been some dealer exclusive models with this kind of finish, too.

Please let us know what the Gibson Customer Service will find out!

LPCG5HNCH3 - Help on this

The "3" in the last position is puzzling me. I was able to confirm via web that it is correct, but I never encountered that before :-k

Anyway, it looks like everything is fine and legit! [thumbup]

EDIT: The BurstBucker in the bridge position is a BB3. The full model name is Les Paul Traditional Pro Exclusive. She was sold by Guitar Center, Musician's Friend and their associates. However, all the pics I saw show zebra open-coil pickups.

Sorry, the model name I mentioned was that of a version with 60's Slim Taper neck. My fault. [blush]

The correct denomination would be Les Paul Traditional Pro 50's: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro-50s/Specs.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! What's your take on this pretty-looking thing? Apparently it was bought roundabout 2008. I don't know much about how Customs are numbered now, but I seem to recall reading that they're now classed as Custom Shop, which would explain the number. Strong likelihood of my being completely wrong there though!

14469451_10209349121837745_723556538439693940_n.jpg

14364742_10209349122197754_3580423090078998335_n.jpg

14368819_10209349121877746_8661838536549284064_n1.jpg

14433116_10209349122157753_7540272370297856576_n.jpg

Yup, 2008 Custom Shop serial. Love customs, that Silverburst is a beauty!!

Thanks Johnny. Yep, she's an absolute beauty, but sadly someone nipped in with a higher offer and beat me to her. :(

However, all is not lost! :D

I've spotted another lovely one, this time in classic black (although those pickups will be coming straight out if all is legit and I buy her):

_86.jpg

_386.jpg

_186.jpg

_286.jpg

_486.jpg

Archived