Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG400 Pro Sustain

Keziapurrs

Wondering if anyone has added the following to their SG400 Pro to increase the sustain. Saw this on another forum and couldn't find any positive or negative reviews.

Vibramate V5 Quick Mounting Kit for Bigsby B5 Vibrato, Chrome

Bigsby B5 Guitar Vibrato For Flat Top Electrics, Aluminum (Gibson SG, Flying V, Exlporer, Firebird)

Thanks, in advance, for any comments.

Lis

I added one to one of my les paul standards a while ago.

I am not sure I can testify that it added any more sustain in my case, but the mod was really easy to do, and literally took not more than 30 minutes start to finish and didn't mess with any of the tuning stability on that guitar, I've had it since 1995, and it's always been one of my best players. the b7/v7 didn't degrade any of the performance aspects (except it made an already heavy guitar a bit heavier..)

• 2 weeks later...

I just put a B5/V5 combo on my 2016 SG Pro. Be advised, this is not a perfect fit. Gibson/Epiphone has modified the bridge and tailpiece with and thus the bushing spacing. They're narrower so a perfect fit is not possible. If you've got an earlier year SG Pro, that may not be the case. I just got and installed the B5/V5 yesterday and havent'd finished the upgrades I have in store for my SG (pickups), so I can't comment on the sustain one way or the other.

Oh and while I'm at it, forget about the new Floyd Rose FRX for the SG Pro also. The "Flawless and easily installed OEM retrofit" doesn't fit for the same reason. Been there, tried that. I gave their marketing people "both barrels" about their deceptive claims after they admitted that "it's come to our attention over the last 60 days that the FRX may not fit certain Epiphone SG's..."

Buyer beware

Archived