Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul supreme question

Willsby

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2003 Amber supreme, which is in very good condition, my only concern is it has two holes where a pick guard had been mounted, did they ever come with a pick guard? And if not, and I add one, will it detract from the value of the guitar? I'm not looking to sell it at all as its a 40th birthday present from the wife, but just so I can base what price he's asking for it is all.

Many thanks

Willsby,

I can find no evidence that the Supreme ever came standard with a pick-guard.

If you mount one (to use the holes that a previous owner put into the guitar) I would only do so if you crave a pick-guard, or find some utility in it.

Otherwise you can fill the small holes with putty, and then gently wax over them.

If you do add the pick-guard, I doubt it would detract too greatly from the resale value of the guitar.

From a buyers standpoint though, I would consider the two holes a detractor, and a bargaining chip for asking the seller to come down a bit on the price.

Fjestad's Blue Book lists the value as:

Mint condition: $2,700

Excellent + condition: $2,150

Excellent condition: $1,800

Very good +: $1,500

Very good: $1,250

Good: $1,000

Those values are only a starting point in the discussion, of course.

They vary from city to city and market to market, and in the end, only the seller knows what he's willing to take for the guitar.

Happy almost-40th birthday, by the way!!

:)

When I've removed pickguards I just replace the screws in the holes. That way the screws dont get lost, and it looks better than holes do.

I realise you probably haven't got the screws, but they are not hard to come by. Just another option.

Thank you for the swift reply, I'm in the uk matey so those prices are out the window 😉

I'll put it to him, see if I can get a little summit summit knocked off.

It's listed at a good price in my eyes, for over here anyway.

And thanks for the almost birthday wish 😁

When I've removed pickguards I just replace the screws in the holes. That way the screws dont get lost, and it looks better than holes do.

I realise you probably haven't got the screws, but they are not hard to come by. Just another option.

I may just add a guard to it, save the top, as I do get a bit carried away at times 😉

...it has two holes where a pick guard had been mounted, did they ever come with a pick guard? And if not, and I add one, will it detract from the value of the guitar?...

As it already has had the top drilled whether you fit a p'g or not cannot affect the value any further.

If, as you mention, you might have a tendency to mark the top I'd definitely put one on.

Many Happy Returns when it comes - or should I say when they both come?

Pics, please, when you manage to tear yourself away from it for a min!

Pip.

As it already has had the top drilled whether you fit a p'g or not cannot affect the value any further.

If, as you mention, you might have a tendency to mark the top I'd definitely put one on.

Many Happy Returns when it comes - or should I say when they both come?

Pics, please, when you manage to tear yourself away from it for a min!

Pip.

👍🏻

Archived