Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone G-400 Pro SG vs Gibson SG

Hi, before I buy an Epiphone SG in a few months, I just want to be aware of the differences between the SGs the two brands,

Now, I am aware that the Epiphone body is made from two pieces of Mahogany and there is no neck binding, as it is the Body being made of two pieces already kinda bothers me because the Gibson counterpart is made of only one slab of mahogany, the lack of Neck Binding does not bother me too much. Are there anymore differences I need to be aware about, I don't mind the nut, hardware and electronics a lot, they can always be changed out. But when it comes to putting wood pieces together is there anything that is done differently?

Carlos

(~Stay True to the Original~)

16011507262-front-large.jpg

The Epiphone may be made from more than 2 pieces. I don't know. My Epiphone G400 serves me just fine. Still have the stock electronics. When I got it, I was in high school and only had about $400 to spend so to me, it was the best sounding guitar for the price.

If I were buying today, I'd probably go with the Gibson as my budget now would allow me to do that. However, if you feel uncomfortable spending twice as much for the Gibson, then go with the Epiphone, it is still a very good guitar.

The only SG Gibson makes out of one piece would be a custom shop...Standards down to specials all have at least 2 piece. Compared to a Gibson the Epiphone will not have as deep of body bevels around the horns and edges. Also Epiphone uses the early 60s neck joint making it more prone to neck dive. Sound wise I love g400 pro.

I have a 1996 Epi SG Junior, a 2006 Epi G400, and a 2014 Gibby SGJ.

I like each one. But the Gibson is by far the best guitar.

And I only spent $89 more for the SGJ than for the G400.

In Nov. 2006, a G400 was $400.

I got my 2014 SGJ for $489, new.

The SGJ has been PLEKed and I do think that makes a difference.

No neck dive. Every note accessible and clear on every fret.

I also think the fireburst satin finish looks nice!

[thumbup]

IMG_0632_zps3d956ce8.jpg

I just bought a used 08 g400 for $ 250 with a case. Used is an option with both guitars, plenty of both epi's as well as gibsons out there. Sound difference, this depends on what g400 and what Gibson your comparing to. From what I heard, gibsons my be a little brighter. There are some comparisons on YouTube. I like my g400, sounds great, plays well, no issues...

So, I have 2 Epiphone SG's (A 2015 Tony Iommi Custom and a 2016 G-400 -Black) and 2 Epiphone Les Pauls. Everything is great until your headstock snaps off in a stiff breeze. It's a major problem with these two models from both Gibson and Epiphone. My SG's and LP's are fine, but in January I bought an Epiphone Les Paul SG Custom (black, triple HB's, gold hardware...you know the one). It arrived with the shipping carton unblemished or damaged in any way. Sat snug in it's case inside the carton for 12 hours before opening. Unboxed it carefully and brought the case upstairs to my bedroom. Put it on the bed and slowly opened the case. My new SG Custom had it's headstock snapped off (pic file size too big to upload). Just like Don Felder's LP he showed on FB over the weekend.

So, a Gibson or Epiphone? I love the body style, but Gibson is too greedy for me. Try a Dean Zelinsky guitar with the sidekick pickups. You'll love it!

Archived