Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning Issues

Need help and advice.

I purchased a used 2011 Gibson Paul Classic. Who ever purchased it put after market Grover Tuners on it. My issue is that it the "G" will stay in tune but it has to have a "sweet spot" if the string tention is off + or - just a little it will jump out at first bend and never come back in tune and be a couple semi tones out of tune. but if the string is in the sweet spot I have no issues.

I've tried Nut sauce with new strings and nothing seems to work. all other strings are fine. Am I missing something here is there something else I can try before I take it to the shop?

Thanks,

Morbe

I would think the nut sauce would have helped. do you lube the nut and the bridge slot?

when you are tuning, do you make it so that you're string is a bit flat, then tug on the string, tune to pitch, tug on it again, and re-adjust?

I would think the nut sauce would have helped. do you lube the nut and the bridge slot?

when you are tuning, do you make it so that you're string is a bit flat, then tug on the string, tune to pitch, tug on it again, and re-adjust?

I put nut sauce every place the string touches.

I do tune, pull the string to see if it goes back to pitch. I tune to pitch and tug and re-tune. the G String is just very finicky.

if there's no "plinking" noises when you're tuning, the slot is probably okay...

I just replaced a set in my 2002 lp standard, I could feel the dead spots in both the low E and D tuners as I cranked on them.

you could try to switch the G and E, or B string's tuners to see if the problem follows the machine head.

Couple things you could try:

The nut is the most common. To check for a binding nut, pluck the string and press down a bit behind the nut. it should go sharp and then back down to "in tune" where it was. If it can't handle this little bit, the nut is binding. Should be able to get a feel for if it is binding or not binding.

Rarely, way more rare, is loose bridge saddles. if that is the case, you can see them move when you do a good bend on the string. Here again, you could press a little behind the bridge and see if it is moving. Or binding. But really, it has to be really worn out or messed up for that to be the case, and often, even if it IS a little loose, it isn't always a problem. Just something to maybe check.

Tuners? Even more rare I think, as even when the tuners suck, tuning "up" to pitch makes it hard for them to slip. BUT, there's two things to check here: One, is if there is a flat spot, or like a "hole" where the tuner doesn't move or feels different, that could be a place that causes issues or slipping, or just not tuning "up" properly. You can either watch or "feel" the tuner as you turn it on the spot you think is a problem, or take the string off and feel the post with one hand as you turn it.

More often than not it's the nut, I just bring up these others because if you have a "sweet spot" that doesn't seem to want to work, it could be one of these other rare thingys/ BUT it's still most likely the nut.

Archived