Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Standard 95

The Kid

I'm planning to buy a Gibson Les Paul Standard from 95 (built in sept/okt)

It's a honeyburst (not sure, but by the looks it seem like between a honeyburst and lemonburst) flametop! It's show almost no wear at all and looks absolutely beautiful.

Wondering if anyone knows what pickups usually was used on these LP's from 95? Plus, what value? Do you think Gibson build many of those flametops in 95?

post-70490-012681700 1465200241_thumb.jpg

490/498 pickups I think; forum members please correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm sure they made lots of them.....

Am in UK so can't comment on value but looks like a very fine LP.

I think jdgm is spot on with both observations; the p'ups would most likely be 490 / 498 and the number made must be in the thousands.

If you get it have a look in the p'up cavities for the finish code. For instance HSB would be Honey SunBurst and so on.

Pip.

To my eyes the finish looks rather like Honey Burst, but the boundaries are fluid. She also could be a Lemon Burst although I don't think so.

From the pictures I'd say the neck pickup is "R" and the bridge pickup "T" spaced. This would indeed mean 490R and 498T stock pickups.

My guess is she came with golden Speed Knobs stock and the Reflector Knobs are retrofits.

Finally, when in good or excellent condition, I found out they typically sell between 1400 and 1800 € via web.

I have a 95 Wine Red, which I bought new in 1995, it's been my #1 go to axe from day one. I have four other gibsons, (one is a 2002 LP standard), still the 95 is THE one.

pickups: Definitely 490/498 combo.

value, depends on where you are, check Ebay "Sold" or "Completed auctions", what are they asking for it btw?

If it all checks out, and it looks like a beauty, Buy it, you wont regret it.

Thank you so much for the replies on this.

So they really made thousands of those flametops. Have always thought that its more exclusive n didnt come on any LP. But I've had wrong before lol xD.

Yes I've been surfing the web some n haven't seen any 95 with that maplecap, that has those knobs. The owner I'll buy it from said, that the owner before claims everything is orignal.

Gosh, its too many different models n finish each year lol. Would be better if Gibson made for an example two or three different Standards/colors each year. Then year two made some other etc. So it would be easier to chart xD. The price on this one is ca 15000€. But everything when it comes to U.S Gibsons or Fenders tend to be quite expensive here in Sweden lol. But it feels like a great price and I know it will be well played by me :).

Thank you so much for the replies on this.

So they really made thousands of those flametops. Have always thought that its more exclusive n didnt come on any LP. But I've had wrong before lol xD.

Yes I've been surfing the web some n haven't seen any 95 with that maplecap, that has those knobs. The owner I'll buy it from said, that the owner before claims everything is orignal.

Gosh, its too many different models n finish each year lol. Would be better if Gibson made for an example two or three different Standards/colors each year. Then year two made some other etc. So it would be easier to chart xD. The price on this one is ca 15000€. But everything when it comes to U.S Gibsons or Fenders tend to be quite expensive here in Sweden lol. But it feels like a great price and I know it will be well played by me :).

yea agree that there's a whole lot of overlap these days, sort of clouds the air for narrowing down what you really want verses what's available.

yet, In 1995, there wasn't as many different variations as are available today. I know for sure there were Standards, Classics, Customs, and some Studios. I could be missing a few, I could study my les paul book, but that was printed in 1993, so it could not be 100% accurate for 1995. eg: I don't think they had reintroduced the Deluxe models, and of course what ever the custom shop was dreaming up at the time.

I'm not sure of the exchange rates, and what ever the "fair market" price of the day is, but that seems fair to me.

again, if you check eBay in your locale, and search for completed listings of Les Paul Standards, you'll probably come out with a ball park give or take a few hundred euros. That's your best bet, and IME most sellers, have already done this if they are serious about selling the instrument. the simple basic rules usually apply.. priced too high, it wont sell. priced too low, and you're gonna get screwed on the deal.

btw, that really is a gorgeous LP and looks like it's in great condition. Seems it was well cared for.

Yes, I think it would be better. But guess Les Pauls would be even more expensive these days, if that was the case. Yes and the price settings is crazy nowdays.

In the 80s not many players actually wanted to use Les Pauls, so they were quite cheap back then. But now you can add hundreds of dollars.

I've checked Ebay alot and the prices are quite the same, althou you can find all kinds of super nice guitars there. The thing is that if I order a Les Paul (for an example) from the U.S. Then I have to pay at least 25% of the total value of the guitar, just for the custom-charges.

So that means its waay over my financial limits, when it comes to buying a guitar. But I have for sure seen alot of very beautiful guitars there. Was actually first going to buy a LP Custom Alpine White, but they are almost impossible to track down and find here in Sweden at the moment.

Saw one in the U.K, but it was like too much for a guitar I think. I bought my LP Custom that I have now for 1600 euros new on a sale two years ago. Thats a good price I think. But the dream LP is a Collectors Choice or reissue R8 or something.. But have to wait with that =P.

Yes, Its very nice and it has kind of a vintage look, with that flametop. Alittle like the 58/59 ones back then, that has a faded n almost gone burst on it. Hope I can seal the deal this week =).

Archived