Gibson Brands Forums

Any factory questions for the Bozeman plant?

duluthdan

I am about to embark on the two day drive to Bozeman Montana for the Gibson Acoustic Homecoming gathering. My travels take me thru the metropolis of West Undershirt Wyoming, thur Daniel Junction (honest, I have the hat). Thru Jackson Hole and into the great little city of Bozeman. I will be taking the plant tour again this year, so if there are any burning questions you want me to ask, post them here, and I'll see if I can get some info. Smile Fierce !!!

I am about to embark on the two day drive to Bozeman Montana for the Gibson Acoustic Homecoming gathering. My travels take me thru the metropolis of West Undershirt Wyoming, thur Daniel Junction (honest, I have the hat). Thru Jackson Hole and into the great little city of Bozeman. I will be taking the plant tour again this year, so if there are any burning questions you want me to ask, post them here, and I'll see if I can get some info. Smile Fierce !!!

[/quote

Got one.....why do the interior labels change from orange on some years to white for the exact same model on a different year:) Thanks, Jd

Thanks Dan.

I have a thousand questions, but for starters: the Gibson guitars with torrefied tops - is the process done inhouse or the top wood bought already torrefied? The Martin VTS syetem has a spiel on how they can target certain ages for the tops - does Gibson have any more details? Please?

Don't forget to have a good time at he Homecoming!

BluesKing777.

Being the proud owner of three Gibson J-45's, I have three questions:

--not to beat a dead horse, but what do they say about the odd pickguard placement of the newer J-45's? I see now they are returning to the more traditional placement-- not covering the rosette--which is aesthetically pleasing and correct to the history of the model. Was there a purpose in covering the rosette?

--can I request an orange label to replace the lackluster white one that replaced it?

--why, oh why, did they replace the white button Gotohs with the heavy (and IMHO inferior) Grover Rotomatics?

I love my Gibsons, and I understand that every manufacturer will make changes to their products, but Please! --keep the J-45 as it always was--the best all-around acoustic guitar ever made.

...Thru Jackson Hole and...

Just check and see if the Snake River Grill still makes the best Honey Badger on earth. Thanks. No wait, you'll thank me!

rct

Please find out if this is the only time they provide tours of the plant. I thought I read once that Nashville was the only plant that does plant tours but since I have heard conflicting info.

Have fun, I still would like to go one year maybe next year.

Have fun Dan, and say hi to Don from me.

One question. There is a new 2016 Country Western Limited Edition with adjustable bridge. There was a 2014 Limited Edition Country Western with a fixed bridge. Why create the 2016 with the adjustable bridge? Which does he like better?

Ask why they use tone robbing graphite nut on the standard J-45. This is garbage material and they need to use Tusq or bone.

I had an expert Luthier say Gibson makes stupid decisions about their Guitars from time to time for no reason.

A bone nut I had installed sounds better on a recording. It can be heard even to the non trained ear.

I would like to know about the Gibson J-15 and the walnut Back being flat sawn versus quarter sawn and what if any effect that has on the long term stability of the guitar?

Thanks in advance

What is a Honey Badger other than the nasty animal that lives in Africa.

Well, I don't know. Really good bourbon, some form of simple syrup that includes honey, some form of citrus, I think Snake River Grill uses fresh orange zest and juice. Probably other stuff. "I will sit here and drink these until I'm dead" good. Seriously good "this is why adults don't drink beer" good. Good. At least at that place they are. Anything in Jackson is good, almost. I will try to get the recipe in October after a couple weeks in Yellowstone.

rct

Please find out if this is the only time they provide tours of the plant. I thought I read once that Nashville was the only plant that does plant tours but since I have heard conflicting info.

Have fun, I still would like to go one year maybe next year.

Memphis is actually the only plant that offers regular tours. It is newer and built in the tourist part of town. It was always intended to handle tours. They sell tickets and it's a regular thing. The other factories just aren't set up for tours. Nashville included.

Tours happen either by knowing someone that calls in a personal favor, or when they do special events such as the Homecoming in Bozeman.

Keith

Dan ,

Could you kindly find out what's the word on left handed custom models?

JC

John Carlos - I asked about leftys last year and Don said none, no way, nope. I haven't seen him yet this year (just got in) but there are none at Music Villa and none expected

I think we're out of luck. But I will ask again and keep poking at it. Maybe someday.....

Anne

Dan, I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but if it's not too late, ask them if they're going to make a full-sized Hummingbird along the line of the Eric Church model. Not the thin body, but the full-sized beast that would make it a real bird. [thumbup] Travel safely, old friend.

Gibson used "3" different geometric bracing patterns on the '30s and '40s J models and each had its own sweetness and tone. Are they ever going to produce a repro of a specific model with the original geometric bracing noted for the model? I know "one size fits all" as far as the bottom line goes and does for all the makers. I really do not expect a truthful answer from Gibson, nor do I expect to have the question asked to Gibson by the grandstanding OP.

Martin 1940D28

Damn it, I'm late out also.

But my Q would be regarding the construction of the contemporary CW / Sheryl Crow.

Is it 1 to 1 with the Hummingbird Std. or closer to the TV, , , maybe something third.

In short :

Internal differences and similarities between the Birds and the CW, , , and the standard Dove and Firebird for that matter..

I have a question as well... why is there so many different models of the same Model?

Thanks..

That's an easy one. On some level we all want to think that they only need the basic stuff, but that doesn't sell very many guitars. if they only made 1 J45 then everyone here would buy one, and that would be the end of it. As it stands, they make different models, and people buy several. They see something new and exciting. Also, what happens if you pick specs for a J45 and a customer doesn't like it? They go and buy a Martin or something else. Having different versions allows them to get more customers. It allows them to sell guitars to the same customer many times over. Back in the day they didn't have a large variety..... but they didn't sell as many total acoustic guitars either.

I don't know what the answer from Bozeman will be, but those are my thoughts on it.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I pursued answers to a few questions while in Bozeman, in the Gibson presentation and at the factory - nothing earth shattering. I have to say, the Gibson presentation from the brass was very well received and appreciated. There are global market considerations and differences that are important to the success of the business - some of what may cause head-scratching here on the forum may be simply a direct response to desired demand to players in markets this crowd may not be entirely in touch with. And yes, the brass does have access to and read much of the information exchanged on this forum. Oh, and Ben is the new Jeremy - great guy, knows his stuff, and has a music pedigree - great experience n music, and Gibson Acoustic. Overall I was very impressed with the information shared and presented. There are some new limited runs planned and in production that we should keep our eyes open to - but in deference to the company, I don't think its proper for me to blurt out what might be confidential info - kind of like insider trading on the stock market probably not fair.

and yes - there was evidence of some of these builds at the factory - I even got to play a couple, and wish my guitar acquisition fund was larger.

IMG_0721_zpsxhrzwtl1.jpg

IMG_0725_zpskofc2in7.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpswy3cakqo.jpg

Orange/White labels: Orange is used on special runs, "Vintage" models and custom shop releases. White is for what would be the standard line-up. Replacement labels, swapping colors is not normally done.

The Black Hummingbird: Eric Church requested a stage-ready guitar that looked like it had been to hell and back - hence the black - slightly thinner body and pickup were his desires. I played one of these unplugged - and was underwhelmed, but the dark bird's wheelhouse is on stage plugged in.

e

Thermally cured tops: These are prepared and provided by an outside supplier, to spec. At this stage there is no manipulation to replicate specific age.

Pickguard placements: Forgot to pursue this. Is what it is I suppose.

Lefties: They re being made and are available - get in touch with your five-star dealer to inquire. I actually did see a couple of new lefties sold during the Homecoming week.

Country Western with Adjustable Saddle: The vast market in Japan likes authenticity, and the ADJ is a bow to the mid-fifties models that had the ADJ feature. These are well received in the Asian Markets.

Graphite nut: Gibson continues to spec and provide guitars to a wide variety of players, and generates models with Graphite and bone. I can personally attest to the variety of tastes here - my son prefers the tone he gets out of his tusk components, to similar guitars of mine that are sporting bone.

Paddle Joint - Not asked - I wanted to try and remember to ask this of Ren Feguson whir he was at the evening song-circle - but either forgot, or was too caught up in the magic that happens during these sessions.

Walnut flat sawn or quarter sawn: These components are prepped and sawn to certain spec, durability and stiffness. The goal is consistent quality. I do not remember the specific answer to this question - but I do recall that there was no quality compromise entering the response.

The new CW - akin to H'bird standard or H'bird TV? All in your perspective, but sports Sitka top, and throw-back to the appeal of the 50's CW models.

Specific replicas: This has been done using specifically provided guitars to build in special limited runs, the Legend series is one example, and recent releases of a number of SJ's 45's and birds were done to replicate provided and sought after specific guitars.

Thanks for the thorough report. 'Was beginning to get worried, not hearing back- a number of possibilities - perhaps overcome by nitro fumes & rosewood, you succumbed to the GAS, and it didn't go over well with Mrs. Dan. Or, perhaps there was an opening for the final QC guitar tester and you decided to chuck it all and go for it.

And don't worry a bit about this:

. . . I don't think its proper for me to blurt out what might be confidential info - . . .

. . . that's why they have y'all out- to get the buzz going about new & upcoming models! (well, one of the reasons)

The RS Radio Grande shown on the bench is a fine response from Gibson to all who wondered why did they not call the recent run of deep-bodied Stage DeLuxe Rosewoods what they were, and bump things up a notch with the proper Smeck inlays, , continue with the adirondack top & small '30's 'burst (some of the original Radio Grandes in sunburst form could be seen as more of a iced tea/edge burst), and- is that a french heel?

Thx for checking back in, and feel free to share any other observations, jam reports, etc.

Archived