Gibson Brands Forums

Letting go of my 1996 Epi Les Paul

StRanger7032

I was lucky enough to be able to buy a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard, so I'm reluctantly selling my 1996 Epi Les Paul (Translucent Amber Burst). Its in unreal condition for its age. I got no lookers on the Trading Post section of the forum, so its on eBay now. I'd love to see it go to a forum member. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231970771890?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

IMG_1447_zpsyswxmeh9.jpg

Is it a photoflame on the Epiphone ?

It appears to be the real thing. I remember seeing the maple cap when I took the pickups out. Not sure if they use photoflame or not on Epis. I think that's only the super cheap brands that use that, but I could be wrong.

It may differ model to model. There also may be models with veneers and not a full maple cap, but I'm just some jerk on the internet. Don't trust me.

The aforementioned Epi LP does look quite nice but that new Gibby....what a beauty. The depth in the paint job is lovely.

It may differ model to model. There also may be models with veneers and not a full maple cap

Yes, AFAIK the only LP's currently in production with the "Carved hard maple cap" are the Bonamassa, the Slash Rossa Corsa, and the Tribute Plus.

Have a look

What do you think ?

I think that's not my guitar. My guitar is a 1996, and I know for a fact that the top is not a fake photoflame (see below). The flame maple is real, but its a thinner cap instead of a carved top. This was a fairly expensive guitar in 1996, costing about the same as a new one now. Its not a photo top! http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/All_Les_Paul_Models#Les_Paul_Standard_Plus_Top

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Translucent

1995-2000

Body:

Mahogany body

Maple cap

Neck:

Set mahogany neck with SlimTaper profile

Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays

22 frets

24.75" scale

1.68" nut width

Binding:

Single-ply body & neck

Electronics:

Alnico Classic Plus Humbucker pickups

2 Vol. 2 Tone controls

3-way selector switch

Hardware:

Nickel hardware

LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece

Grover tuners

Amber bell or black speed knobs

Colors:

Translucent Blue (TL)

Translucent Red (TR)

Translucent Wine Red (??)

Translucent Amber (TA)

Translucent Green (TG)

Sold on eBay for $307. I was hoping for $300-$325, so it worked out well. Hope the new owner digs it! [thumbup]

So question, how are you going to ship this? I'm thinking of selling my 2014 sinister, just wondering about shipping and such...

So question, how are you going to ship this? I'm thinking of selling my 2014 sinister, just wondering about shipping and such...

I used the box from my new Les Paul to ship it in. It had a hardshell case, so it was very secure. I added a ton of bubble wrap just to be safe. UPS and FedEx are now charging exorbitant prices to ship guitars, so I've been using the post office lately. It can be done for $40 or so if you don't care how fast it gets to its destination. If you don't have the box it came in, stop by a music store and ask for one.

Just curious, why did you feel it was necessary to sell the Epiphone when you got the Gibson? Obviously you have lots of other guitars. I can't let any of mine go, even when I acquire a new one. They're like my children.

Archived