Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Kaiser Bill

This arrived at my door step on Saturday. After a new set of strings and a coat of polish its ready to go to work tomorrow. It has coil tap capabilities on both pups. Sounds fairly decent. The neck is pretty wide...almost feels as "clubby" as an SG, but I like the finish, so its stays.

IMG_0738_zpsllmpmfw2.jpg

[thumbup]

Bill, those are very nice guitars.

my buddy has one, after decades of working along side of him in many bands, duo gigs, etc, I know how fickle he is with guitars. Most of is keep paper cups around longer than he keeps a guitar. When he picked up one of these, he claims he's been smitten. Probably one of the (Very) few guitars he'd not try and flip.

I have a newish (november) Sheraton Pro II with the same pickups, I think I can say with confidence, you're gonna appreciate those pickups and the push/pull options.

Maybe time to start dumping a few.

nah! I was over 20 when I scored the SJ200.. I sold my Taylor 314CE to my brother inlaw simply because he really needed a better acosutic than the one he had. Otherwise, I probably would have kept it, cuz it was really a great playing/sounding small bodied cutaway, (the chance for regret is there, hence mentioning my experience to you! :) )

let us know how it gets through the gigging..

Thanks so much for the replies. I will keep you apprised of the situation. Tomorrow's gig is fairly easy...backing up classic country singers. Friday's is a whole other ball-o-wax. I'm bringing my Mexi-Strat to that one. Its a rowdy public bar.

My J200 was given to me by a fellow Nam vet right before he passed. That one stays with me to the bitter end. More later

IMG_1219_zpsoddgbvqg.jpg[/url

IMG_0579_zpskgrqfg2x.jpg

This arrived at my door step on Saturday. After a new set of strings and a coat of polish its ready to go to work tomorrow. It has coil tap capabilities on both pups. Sounds fairly decent. The neck is pretty wide...almost feels as "clubby" as an SG, but I like the finish, so its stays.

IMG_0738_zpsllmpmfw2.jpg

HNGD, Kaiser Bill. That is a fine looking 335, I always like the block inlays with neck binding. They do sound very good at stage level, the semi-hollow woody tone comes through nicely. Very easy to dial in good sounds even fully stock. My Dot with a full pro setup is one of my best playing guitars, period.

Congrats, KB! [thumbup]

My J200 was given to me by a fellow Nam vet right before he passed. That one stays with me to the bitter end. More later

That alone is a story all to itself... what a friend! Quite the gift bestowed there Bill.

Well, I'm happy to report that the new 335 performed very well. I didn't get a chance to "open it up"...but thats classic country music. Very subdued, and no bridge pick up at all. I did use the coil tap feature on a couple tunes, but it was so thin that it was ineffective. Perhaps on a blues gig it would fare better. I seldom goes to blues jams anymore because of (1) smoking and (2) the element (musicians) that show up. The audience is rude enough, I don't need the attitudes and the constant "can I borrow" your tuner, picks, extra strings, your amp... and on and on.

Sorry for the rant...

Getting back to the guitar, as I said, I'm happy with it, and there is no "buyers remorse" at all. Granted its not the $3,800 version offered by Gibson, but it does the same job and will earn me the same money as a Gibson. Nothing against Gibson, as I have several in my collection as you can see in my signature.

blues tones and the coil taps... yep, that's my over all conclusion with these too. A little bit of crunch, and the neck pickup selected, and the bridge set in the normal state while using the middle position on the toggle has some "almost" tele sounds which works really good for a solo tone.

"Blues Jams"

yea Bill, I hear you on that one. one of the main reasons I stay away from those too, the other reason is harp players. They just don't know when to stop blowing into those things. Oh my head!

Kid...you really hit the nail on the head about harp players. In my 58 years of playing I have run across less than a half dozen that know when to lay out. Of course the same could be said for some guitarists, and bass men that think theirs is a lead instrument. No tolerance for that.

Of course the same could be said for some guitarists, and bass men that think theirs is a lead instrument. No tolerance for that.

True, I can't abide by anyone gobbling up the space that's supposed to be part of any tune. I've been lucky, most of the people I've worked with, get it.. the ones that don't, well they are simply told, "there's a few rules you need to know"... that usually works for us.

CB...its been a long time. Good to see you are still around. When I lived in California ('78-'92) I worked a lot in Long Beach doing a jam every Sunday. Never had a problem until horn players started showing up. Then it was time for me to move on. I had "horn bands" shoved down my throat prior to moving out west (Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Chase, Tower of Power etc etc) and I just got tired of it. Nothing against good horn players, I had just reached my limit of Bb and Eb all night long....LOL

CB...its been a long time. Good to see you are still around. When I lived in California ('78-'92) I worked a lot in Long Beach doing a jam every Sunday. Never had a problem until horn players started showing up. Then it was time for me to move on. I had "horn bands" shoved down my throat prior to moving out west (Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Chase, Tower of Power etc etc) and I just got tired of it. Nothing against good horn players, I had just reached my limit of Bb and Eb all night long....LOL

LOL...well, I've never really had a problem with "horn bands" per se...especially the versions you mentioned.

But, SOME horn players just don't know when NOT to play, you know? I have that same feeling, and reaction, to

"Shredder" guitar players, who have that same affliction. But, (maybe?) that's just ME! [tongue][biggrin] I guess, I'm more

into the B.B. King, Miles Davis thing, of "a little, in the right places, goes a LONG way!" [biggrin]

CB

Thanks Cougar. I just registered it. Man they want a lot of personal info...and a home phone#. No thanks..not getting either.

HNGD that sure is one lovely geetar you have there, i can almost hear the sweet tones of Hank and Willie resonating from that beautiful instrument, have fun and look after her.

Thanks guys.. I appreciate your comments. As for the Nashville band...sorry. Just in this small section of Florida there must be close to 100+ country bands. Most I've never heard of, and I'm in 5 bands myself. This will be a good week with 5 booked gigs for three of those bands.

Archived