Gibson Brands Forums

Is this something to worry about? [Lp Traditional]

ChrisF

Hello guys, I just bought this Lp after playing a couple of models. I almost didn't give it a try because it's a 2015 model, but I really liked it and felt very comfortable with its neck. I liked its sound better than the 2016 I tried and it was a couple hundred less so it was clearly a win win situation.

The problem is, now that I'm home I'm giving it a closer look and found these little cracks close to the headstock. Notice that the pictures are taken from both sides.(I tried my best to get it on the camera, but it wasn't an easy thing to do)

The guitar doesn't have any other marks or signs, it's brand new.

JNv70UD.jpg

GmHsEoE.jpg

IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cyzxL5y.jpg[/img]

t8tRo86.jpg

b9BoCAq.jpg

JMhTTce.jpg

Small cracks in the clear coat close to the nut are common on Gibsons. Some of my Gibsons with stock nuts have them, too. If they bother you, it's an easy job for a skilled luthier to sort that out through touch-up repair. However, the period until the new coat will be dried can be annoying. [rolleyes]

Small cracks in the clear coat close to the nut are common on Gibsons. Some of my Gibsons with stock nuts have them, too. If they bother you, it's an easy job for a skilled luthier to sort that out through touch-up repair. However, the period until the new coat will be dried can be annoying. [rolleyes]

I think I get what you mean, so the crack it's not in the wood but only in the lacquer?

What confuses me is the fact that the cracks also go over the sides of the nut, does that mean that the nut is also lacquered? (the sides I mean) It didn't seem like it to me at first.

And thank you so much for your answer, I was very happy when I bought it and it should be a great day since it's my very first traditional, but this has been worrying me since I noticed it.

The first picture may also just be a nick in the binding from when they plane the side of the neck to even out the binding and the rest of the wood. I'd probably trust what Mr. Capmaster said because he's very knowledgeable.

The mark on the nut does look bad in that picture.

The first picture may also just be a nick in the binding from when they plane the side of the neck to even out the binding and the rest of the wood. I'd probably trust what Mr. Capmaster said because he's very knowledgeable.

The mark on the nut does look bad in that picture.

Yeah, I just don't understand it because it goes from the nut to the binding. You can't notice it in the first picture but they both share the same crack.

I've been reading about people replacing the brass nut, what do you replace exactly, the whole thing? because the sides seem to be glued to the neck. I just don't get this nut. I don't get the cracks either.

Looks like overspray on the clear coat.

I've got the same thing on most of my Gibsons. I usually end up chipping it off with a fingernail. Bugs me. Gets knocked off when I replace the nuts to, and I replace most Gibson nuts, if they haven't been already.

I think I get what you mean, so the crack it's not in the wood but only in the lacquer?

What confuses me is the fact that the cracks also go over the sides of the nut, does that mean that the nut is also lacquered? (the sides I mean) It didn't seem like it to me at first.

And thank you so much for your answer, I was very happy when I bought it and it should be a great day since it's my very first traditional, but this has been worrying me since I noticed it.

To me it looks like it's in the finish as typically. The nut sides indeed come lacquered from the Gibson factory.

I'm confident there's no serious trouble hidden under the cracked nitro coat.

To me it looks like it's in the finish as typically. The nut sides indeed come lacquered from the Gibson factory.

I'm confident there's no serious trouble hidden under the cracked nitro coat.

And are the nut sides replaceable too? Since they seem to be glued to the neck.

I want to make sure I get it, since I'm no guitar expert and English is not my main language: the nut sides and the binding share a same lacquer finish, and in this case, this finish got some cracks on it. Is that so?

I don't care much about esthetics, it just worries me that it can be a sign that the neck is damaged somehow.

Thank you for the answers guys. I was really considering returning it, but it may not be necessary after all.

I think the zero-fret nut is replacable basically like any other nut, too. One may have it finished or leave it as is. I prefer a wider nut blank left unfinished and being flush with the coat underneath. It doesn't look cosmetically perfect, but I may take the guitar home with me the same day again an - about an hour later after the big PLEK show at Thomann [biggrin]

Yes, this finish has some cracks. Other than with poly finishes, cracks of nitro finishes can be repaired by a luthier without leaving any trace of the previous damage. The only shortcoming is that drying takes some time.

I really don't think there's any trouble with neck or fretboard of your Traditional.

Yes, the zero nut is replaceable.

In fact, you should replace that brass one, as it will develop grooves on the side that are supposed to make it the "zero" nut.

Gibson will replace it free of charge, with I think Titanium? I don't know for sure what the new material is, but... its a lot harder than brass. Call up Customer Support, give them the pertinent info, and they'll mail it out.

I've been reading about people replacing the brass nut, what do you replace exactly, the whole thing? because the sides seem to be glued to the neck. I just don't get this nut. I don't get the cracks either.

The replacement nut is only the upper section. The (fixed in) brass receptacle stays. The new material will almost certainly be titanium. Some earlier replacements were nickle I think.

When I replaced mine I measured the height first so I knew where to adjust it to. Though during a set up last week the luthier told me I had it set too high.

The screws are extremely small.

The replacement nut is only the upper section. The (fixed in) brass receptacle stays. The new material will almost certainly be titanium. Some earlier replacements were nickle I think.

When I replaced mine I measured the height first so I knew where to adjust it to. Though during a set up last week the luthier told me I had it set too high.

The screws are extremely small.

Hello Evans, how did you contact Gibson to get the titanium replacement? I live in Spain so I'm guessing I have to contact Gibson Europe/Spain. I just sent a message through the gibson's website, but I don't know if there's any other way.

I think I'm gonna keep the Les paul. If you guys don't think it can be a problem...

Hello Evans, how did you contact Gibson to get the titanium replacement? I live in Spain so I'm guessing I have to contact Gibson Europe/Spain. I just sent a message through the gibson's website, but I don't know if there's any other way.

I think I'm gonna keep the Les paul. If you guys don't think it can be a problem...

Well, its more important that you think its ok. Its even more important that you enjoy the guitar! I hope you do.

If you check out the first link you see photos of the replacement nut and lots of info.

Note: Gibson Europe are not as quick to respond as USA. Whats more, I was actually asked for photos of the rutted brass nut before accepting that I needed one. I hope the procedure is less ummm... 'protracted' ](*,) by now & that they just send you one.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/125347-changing-zero-fret-nut/

http://www.gibson.com/Support/Customer-Service.aspx

Gibson Customer Service

Send us an email

Got questions, comments or concerns? We’re all ears.

Click here to send a message to the Customer Service team Talk 2 Us!

You can also reach us by phone

In the USA:

1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766)

In Europe:

00+800-4GIBSON1 (00+800-444-2766-1)

In China:

1-800-820-8841

AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, & MSN Messenger users can IM Gibson Customer Service at customer.service1@gibson.com

I dealt with a very good dude named Jon Sutherland at Gibson Customer Service. I have 3 x 2015s and I got the titanium nuts in 2-3 days. At one point Gibson was out but I'm sure their in stock now.

I sent a simple request for the titanium nuts and attached a pic of the girls and all is good.

Archived