Gibson Brands Forums

Strings again!

Dodger11

I recently got a new acoustic that was shipped with D'Addario EXP16 Coated Phosphor Bronze, Light, 12-53 and they sound great. Has anyone tried them on an Epiphone EJ160e or similar guitar? I had been using Elixirs for ages then tried Gibson Masterbilts (had tried them on my Terada J200 and they sounded great) but they died within about 2 weeks.

I have a set of both Elixirs and D'Addario ready to go - which set goes on?

The EJ160e is actually an 'electric' guitar with a magnetic pickup....

So should, in theory be strung with nickels

Some players do not notice the difference and compensate for the bronze lower strings...

V

:-({|=

Hi

I couldn't get used to the feel of the D'Addario EXPs.

Masterbuilts die fast, but they are great strings for the price.

I don't think I like anything better than a set of Nano Web PBs...

The limited edition version ships with nickel strings, but if you're not plugging in that's not really important. You already know how it sounds with the Elixirs so why not give the EXP's a spin?

Mine came with nickel strings too - I'm not plugging in and always use this guitar strictly acoustic so wouldn't string it with electric strings.

You're right IR - that's kind of what I was thinking as well.

Just out of interest - what do you use on your 2 Masterbilts and your AJ220? I seem to remember you saying strings didn't last long because of your acidic skin...

Just out of interest - what do you use on your 2 Masterbilts and your AJ220? I seem to remember you saying strings didn't last long because of your acidic skin...

I do get a reasonable lifespan out of coated strings but it's a maximum of two weeks for uncoated ones. Until recently I had Elixir Nanowebs on everything, right now I've got EXP16's on both Masterbilts, EXP26's on the 12 fret Recording King (those are the 11's) and the AJ220 lives in England and has Elixirs on it because that was what I had with me last time I was there.

I had the Martin retro nickels on mine and was very happy, and they lasted a long time.

Retro Nickels?

I assume you mean Retro Monels.

They feel nice and smooth... buttery. And yes they do last a long time!

I love em'. I use retro monel mediums on my D-18 and EJ-200SCE, retro monel lights on the OM and AJ-220, and Recording king RP-06 (0 size body, slot head, solid Sitka top, mahogany back and sides)

I recently got a new acoustic that was shipped with D'Addario EXP16 Coated Phosphor Bronze, Light, 12-53 and they sound great. Has anyone tried them on an Epiphone EJ160e or similar guitar? I had been using Elixirs for ages then tried Gibson Masterbilts (had tried them on my Terada J200 and they sounded great) but they died within about 2 weeks.

I have a set of both Elixirs and D'Addario ready to go - which set goes on?

I've used the D'Addario's on my Ovation's forever and love 'em. My only experience with Elixirs is on electric's and I've moved on.

Archived