Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 1986

Hi,

French man there.

I Will probably buy this guitar.

Can you tell me more about it.

What does it mean "sec" on The headstock ?

Ebony fingerboard.

Other specs please ... ?

US import.

What would be The good price for it ?

Best regards.

Laurent

My mail for more photographs : chabotlaurent@orange.fr

post-79127-098493200 1465477927_thumb.jpg

post-79127-060705900 1465477939_thumb.jpg

Hello and welcome to this board.

"SEC" engraved to the peghead back says that Gibson rated and marked this guitar as factory second, mostly due to minor flaws not affecting playability or tone. Some sources say they were usually given to endorsers free of charge. To my informations Angus Young and Slash are owners of several Gibson 2nds.

They gave up marking guitars as factory seconds around 1987/1988, and not only malicious gossip says they are sold nowadays as 1st choice. Be that as it may, seconds of that age sell for about the same price as firsts. It is unlikely one may find the flaw that made them rate the guitar as a 2nd then.

The guitar in question has the deep 1970's neck set that I love, in particular for the neck pickup position typically for Les Paul guitars and the lower position of bridge pickup, tailpiece and bridge. It makes them less neck-heavy like her small bevels leaving more wood to the body. I love my 1978 S-G Standard of similar design for it all. It has a rosewood fretboard and small block inlays starting at the 1st fret though. They came with a hyphen between S and G then. [biggrin] On the other hand, there are some "Bevel Police" forumites like charlie brown who possibly will chime in here. He has multiple my knowledge and experience, on SGs and lots of other guitars as well.

I can't say what the stock pickups were then, but I guess some of the experts know and will clear that up.

I don't have an idea what a sensible price could be as it m strongly depends on condition, but for sure the look of this SG makes me drool... [love][drool] There also are way too few ebony fretboards in my arsenal... [rolleyes]

Thanks for the answer

Answer from the service (Europe) :

Hi Laurent,

SEC means Second, the guitar has probably a little cosmetic defect , most part of time are almost imperceptibles but the guitar playability was ok. Unfortunately, we don't have records about these situations.

Normally, this guitar model SG Standard should have rosewood fingerboard. Difficult to see from the picture.

The guitar is made in USA.

PAF pickups

Regards,

Marcelo Pineda

Customer Service

Normally, this guitar model SG Standard should have rosewood fingerboard. Difficult to see from the picture.

Yes, difficult to see indeed, and usually they came with rosewood boards featuring small block inlays starting at 1st fret then. On the other hand they made several SG Standards with ebony fretboards over the years until circa 2009.

Archived