Gibson Brands Forums

Graph Tech offers a Gibson Zero Fret replacement nut

Searcy

Here is some information that might be of interest to 2015 owners looking for more options on the nut.

HOW TO GIVE YOUR 2015 GIBSON THE UPGRADE IT DESERVES

Own a 2015 Gibson with a brass zero fret nut? While Gibson offers replacements (shown in photo here & video below), if you're looking for something else Graph Tech offers a Gibson Zero Fret replacement nut available in TUSQ XL. http://graphtech.com/products/brands/tusq-xl/product-detail-tusq-xl/pql-6110-00-tusq-xl-adjustable-replacement-nut

Impregnated with PTFE, the slipperiest substance on earth, the PQL-6110-00 significantly reduces string binding at the nut---- meaning less tuning frustration. Other benefits include reduced string breakage, balanced tone, and increased harmonics.

See how the factory-installed brass nut can be problematic in the video below!

PQL-6110-00 : TUSQ XL ADJUSTABLE REPLACEMENT NUT

PQL-6110-00: TUSQ XL Adjustable Replacement Nut, provides a quick solution for guitarists wanting to change out their factory installed Gibson brass or titanum zero fret nut. Simply drop the new nut into place, and use the set screws (included) to adjust string height at the nut for your preferred action. Impregnated with PTFE for maximum tuning stability and performance.

web-pql-6110-00-a.jpg?sfvrsn=0

• 4 weeks later...

But what's wrong with the titanium nut?

(marching, and singing a Jody song, loudly)

I don't know but I've been told

That titanium nut should've never been sold

Stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door

Most 2015 owners, that nut they do abhor

Sound off

(sound off)

Left, right

Break it on down

1, 2, 3, 4

One two THREE FOUR!!

[scared]

Jimi-Hendrix-US-Army-01.jpg

Nothing wrong with the titanium nut really. I just figured I would try out the Graphtech before they stop making them. When Gibson first showed the zero nut concept I was hoping there would be different inserts that could be dropped in for wider string spacing and such. I might try making some myself sometime.

I'm also interested in seeing if there is any difference in the GForce operation with the Graph Tech.

• 3 weeks later...

image_zpswk01rbsp.jpeg

I put one on my 2015 classic. Tbf I've not tried the Titanium nut yet but the Tusq one is great. I needed to finesse it a little - the grub screw had slightly misshapen the sides - but after that it fits great and the sound is just what you'd expect from a Tusq nut, less brash and more creamy than the brass nut.

• 8 months later...

Archived