Gibson Brands Forums

??? Which/Where is this Factory ??? Please...

allstarr

Ok, here's what I think might be a tough find. It's the answer to the question "what factory was this Epiphone S310 made at?" The serial # is JK99051092. The people at Gibson could not even answer the question, and the best info listed on the web is on this Wiki link where there's a factory letter code list that only has questions marks next to "JK" and one 1999 G310 Jr. reported with the prefix: epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Epiphone_Serial_Number_Decoding

It seems to have been a very short run in 1999 wherever these were made, and I'm just quite curious to know the name of the factory, where it was, and any story on why the short run. If anybody has an idea I'd love to know it... Thanks!

I witnessed a similar query a few years ago regarding a 1999 Epiphone.

The best I could determine was either Korea or Indonesia, as deeman has hypothesized.

How does the guitar play, feel, and sound?

That's probably the most important thing.

I myself was born on Fort McClellan, Alabama.

But I can't confirm that for sure, since I was so young at the time, and my memories of my birthplace are so sketchy.

:unsure:

It's a guitar that's presently on ebay and I was curious about it. I can't play it or even see it in person and so I wondered what the story was on it. It's not going for too much $$$ but I wouldn't take a chance on it at this point. If it was a Samick Korea guitar I would. It looks like it was a short stop at that factory in 1999 (probably not such a good thing) and its identity sure is a mystery.

Thanks for the thoughts... any others?

Archived