Gibson Brands Forums

Blues Hawk volume control

Coach

Hi all,

I purchased a killer Trans Black Epi Blues Hawk a few weeks ago and have been playing the daylights out of it. So far this is a really versatile instrument, as well as being a fantastic value.

I have found one issue with it though, the volume control does not seem right to me.

At 0 it is dead quiet, but by 3 it is pretty much at full volume. Between 3 and 10 there is a slight increase, but certainly not a smooth even transition.

Has anyone experienced this and is there anything I can do to help it along?

Thanks in advance,

-Harry

I had similar problems on a Nighthawk RI, I replaced the pots with CTS mini pots. No problems since.

Thanks for the reply, do you recall which pot you used?

Regards,

Harry

Coach, I hope that works out for you. I'm sure the mini pots will work fine, but after posting I got to thinking about the BluesHawk vs my Nighthawk. I haven't played one of the EPI BHs and so I responded to your question without looking.

The control cavity on the BH is much larger than the one on a NH so you could probably use a regular sized pot. I used the mini pot in the NH because the original pot was a mini and the cavity is pretty small and tight.

I'm not sure it would make a big difference. The pots I used are fine and did fix the issue of sweep movement effecting volume and that was what I wanted to do. (and what you are after too)but you should be able to use full size pots in that cavity so if you have a preference for a certain pot, ie. vintage, 450g or whatever, you should be able to use those too.

I'm very sorry for the mistake. I hope I didn't goof you up too much.

Doug

No worries, if I don't like them I can always use them in another project.

ANYTHING that gives me real volume control over the full sweep will be appreciated! ! !

Best, Harry

Archived