Gibson Brands Forums

Issues with my new Studio HP finish

Keith in Dallas

My new LP is only 3 weeks old, and is showing some issues with the finish (see pics). On the back of the guitar, I have noticed brown streaks appearing which looks like wood grain. I also just noticed another flaw in the finish. Those areas on the back of the guitar do not touch any part of my body and the guitar hangs from a wall hanger. I have already spend over $20 in quality cleaners and polishers, but nothing helps as it seems to be under the clear coat. The only thing touching the back of the guitar is my cotton T-shirt, or its case. Has anyone else experienced these issues? I have no luck with guitar finishes. My year old PRS had to be sent back to the factory due to flaking which caused me to realize I needed a second guitar - enter the LP. Now this one which is only 3 weeks old - born on 5/18/16. What, if anything, can be done? (Oh well, apparently I'm only allowed to upload one pic)

Thanks

Keith

post-79059-047218100 1465672461_thumb.jpg

Really can't see anything with the pic, although it isn't a good pic.

Do you think you might be looking too hard and deep for flaws?

It wasn't designed to look good close up with a microscope, it was made to look good in a room or on a stage. We all tend to judge from a point in between, but might be good to ask yourself to which extreme are you leaning?

It almost looks like the streaks in Sapele wood that I know Gibson use sometimes... so its like the finish is really thin there or something.. Maybe its sapping and coming through the finish?

Sorta like this

hero-sapele-taylor-guitars_zpsuhvnizaz.jpg

Obviously this is just cosmetic and if you like the sound and feel of the guitar, get over it and just play... However if you really arnt happy and it annoys you, take it back and get another one you do like....

Hi there...

Really hard to see whats going on there....

You can upload more pics by first uploading them to http://www.photobucket.com once uploaded there use the IMG link it gives you and copy it directly in to your post (max 10 per post)....

Here let me embed it for you

DSC04284-Edit_zpswl1y6lwv.jpg

JEEZE...what's going on with that "wrinkled looking" neck heal joint? [scared]

CB

Definitely looks like grain showing through. This is what we get when they expand the definition of "mahogany" to include sapele, ovangkol, all that stuff, and they have to back off the painting to keep the price down. It certainly won't get any better.

rct

I studied the pictures carefully, and I cant see any marks.

Oh... and thanks for making me clean my screen!

On the first pic, at the 4:00 position, is a spot that resembles a bubble. However, the surface is smooth.

In the second pic, there are reddish brown streaks running vertically along the body.

On the back it kinda looks like the wood was still moist (not dried properly) when the finish was applied and the moisture (dark sap) bled into the white finish. I don't recall ever seeing that before in a white finish. Usually it's moist (sweaty) clothing that causes dye from clothing to leech into the nitro and stain the white finish.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Gibson recommend I exchange it since I was still in my return period with Sam Ash. I ended up sending it back and exchanged/upgraded it for a 2015 Traditional Classic ABR for the same price. Joe Boisits at Sam Ash has gone over and above normal customer service to make sure I'm happy. This last one is my 3rd exchange, and SA has paid for shipping both ways, and even discounted the exchange. Impeccable customer service from Joe.

Thanks.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Archived