Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Traditional 2015 vs SG Standard 2016

ChrisF

Hello guys, I recently bought a Les Paul traditional 2015, which I really like. I don't care about the Gforce tuners or the neck profile (I actually like them) and the Lp signature or the hologram are not a problem for me.

The thing is, I went back to the store where I bought it yesterday with my Lp just to get a nice strap for it, but then I saw a nice looking SG standard 2016 so I decided to give it a try.

I plugged it in and I really liked it. I started comparing it to my Lp and found the sound to be crispier, and Power chords were more agressive. I'm no expert and can't tell much of a difference between sounds, but I kept switching from one to another using the same amp and the difference was there.

I know the owner so I told him and he told me "Well, if you think you like the SG better, you can return the Lp and get it instead".

Now I don't really know what to do, I like the sound of the Sg and it seems to give a richer distorted sound, definetely a more agressive one, pretty much what I was looking for since I really like hard rock.

In the other hand, I got the Lp for a very nice price and I don't think I will ever be able to get a brand new Traditional at this price again, while the Sg price is just the regular one.

Overall I really like this Les Paul, and the only thing that is holding me back is the sound. I really love SGs but since I know they are more affordable, I know I can get them for this same price in a year or two, or even cheaper.

Notice that I'm only talking about the sound, they both feel comfortable to play. I really like the fact that the Lp also comes with a case, while the Sg only brings a Gigbag.

PS: The Lp comes with 59' tribute humbuckers, what do you think about these pickups?

The LP comes with 59' tribute humbuckers, what do you think about these pickups?...

The SG has the very popular 490/498 combination and it's almost certainly this pairing which makes you prefer the SG over the LP.

The '59 Tribute p'ups are designed to replicate the sound of the original PAFs which were far less 'aggressive' (as you put it) and sound better (IMO) with either no- or moderate- gain .

It's up to you, obviously.

If I was in your shoes I'd probably pick up a set of 490/498s and swap the p'ups out. The 490/498's have been around for decades and it should be easy to find some going for a good price. Keep the '59s to re-installation purposes if you ever wish to sell the LP in the future.

Pip.

It sounds like you ought to trade in the LP for that SG.

Another Les Paul will come along.

One always does.

Go for the tones and the sounds that you really like.

That's my advice.

:mellow:

The thing is, it will be hard that I end up with another traditional, not that I don't like Les Pauls, but they are usually a bit over my budget for a new guitar. 1800-2000€ is quite high.

The SG is a more affordable one, so it will be easier for me to end up with another one in the future.

I don't really feel like replacing the pickups because I know the 59' tribute are pretty decent, you think that a good pedal would be enough to make it 'more agressive'? [smile]

Thank you guys.

SGs sound thin compared Les Paul guitars. All of mine do that, and even my "fattest" SG featuring an all-maple body sounds thinner than my "slimmest" Les Paul. LPs also sound fatter than my including neck all-maple L6S guitars.

Playing in a band context shows that LPs will cut through better than SGs, if this is a concern. I had this experience last Friday during a rehearsal when I started a song using a Frank Zappa "Roxy" SG instead of the Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess. We stopped and I switched guitars. What a hell of a difference! By the way, the SG tone came from a '57 Classic, that of the Axcess LP from a 498T. The LP is much fatter though and less aggressive, if you will. The reason for that is less SG punch, not more aggressive tone from the SG.

Cutting lows of an LP sound may be of help, perhaps with an EQ pedal. Typical amp tone controls won't do it properly.

Different pickups may also be of limited help only. Among my SGs and LPs, '57 Classics and partly '57 Classic Pluses are the most common pickups, and there also are some different stock pickups in one SG and three LPs of mine. SGs and LPs sharing '57 Classics sound radically different. SGs with different pickups sound rather close, as well as LPs with different pickups do. There is lots of difference between different guitar builds despite of some know-it-alls spreading the rumour of opposite.

While we're at it, decades of multitracking and mixdown taught me that regardless if clean, crunchy or heavily overdriven, next to PRS guitars SGs are most challenging. It's not easy to find a balance between cutting through and becoming obtrusive, and they need more level and power for same perceived loudness and may suppress vocals in the end. LPs, ES guitars, Strats and Teles are more handsome, including all sorts of amps and pickups.

No mixing board or other control capability is a substitute for the right guitar! [biggrin]

While I agree, SG's have a slightly "thinner" more "biting" tone, I've never experienced them to

be less able to "cut through the mix," in a "Live" band situation, at all. :-k Certainly, by adding

some EQ, for the difference(s). So, maybe the "fuller" or "fatter" tone, of the Les Paul is really a

matter of personal, or even "band member" preference? Who knows? People often tend to

have a particular sound/tone, in their heads, and only that will suffice! [biggrin]

CB

I have a 14 Trad with the 59 Tributes.

I also own a Epiphone LP Studio wich has a Gibson 490R/498T combo and all the electronics are also Gibson.

It has a very slim body and it's all mahogany no maple cap, this makes it sound very SG-ish to my ears.

Now played with the same settings trough my Orange TH30 (wich is fairly high gain) the 490/498 combo sounds more agressive. I can fix that easyly adding more gain when playing with the Trad.

The 59 Tributes are PAF style, but with more gain they can sound really evil, maybe you just need an EQ or Overdrive pedal.

I realise that you have quite a dilemma. We cant decide for you of course.

For me, the choice you outline would make it an easy decision. I would go with the SG. To me, the sound is more important than anything else.

Personally, I prefer the looks and handling of an SG. I dont have one though. The reason is because I prefer a Les Paul's sound.

Good luck!

I made my choice. When the SG started to look like a winner, I thought about getting the LP back in its case and returning it to the store... and damn, that was a very sad thought. I'm definetely keeping my LP. It might not sound as agressive as the SG does, but it definetely feels right.

Thank you guys.

Archived