Gibson Brands Forums

Grover Mini Tuners

I'm doing weight relief on a Standard and entertained swapping to mini tuners to save an ounce or two. I have aluminum brige, plastic jack plate, uncovered pickups, no pickhuard. Trying to get the guitar under 8lbs.

I couldn't find out if minis would work on a Stsandard.

Ended up ordering Grovers. I didn't order locking tuners since they weigh more.

hey Zentar

did you get these installed yet?

I recently ordered a new set of Gibson issue Deluxe Klusons for my 2002 standard,

It turns out, I needed vintage style tuners, as the (less expensive) standard ones, had a flange on the casing which made them too large to fit in the existing holes. I had to chose, return / reorder or get the drill out...

I exchanged them for the exact replacement, which worked without modifications.

Good luck!

Mine haven't arrived. I'm replacing e-tuners. I think the hole is 10mm and the regular Grovers should work but we'll see.

I'm regretting not trying the mini tuners just for the heck of it but tuners aren't free.

Hello Zentar.

The product in the link is for guitars with Fender-style headstocks. There is a 3+3 version too for use on Gibsons.

Great product. I have the non-locking version of them on my L6S.

Bence.

Hello Zentar.

The product in the link is for guitars with Fender-style headstocks. There is a 3+3 version too for use on Gibsons.

Great product. I have the non-locking version of them on my L6S.

Bence.

Are mini tuners smaller and lighter? Can you easily see they are smaller? What is mini about them? Are they just regular Grovers with small buttons?

I notice they have an 8 oclock screw hole. If I don't like the mini tuners and want to switch to medium Grovers I have to drill a different hole. The medium Grovers have 6 oclock holes. Id love to try mini tuners but this causes me concern.

Thanks. I checked the weights of quite a few tuner sets. One of the lightest is the Gibsob Deluxe pearloiids. They're lighter than Grovers. Les Pauls tend towards being heavy. I wonder if this is why Gibson used the deluxe tuners back in 1959?

Today people load up the alrerady heavy LP with steel bridges and heavy tuners and thencomplain their LP is heavy.

For even lighter tuners you could use cheap die cast/plastic tuners that weigh less than half what a grover locking tuner weighs. You can save a lot of weight by your choice of tuners. I don't know too many folks whod put a $18 set of tuners on a $2500 Standard to save 4 ounces but if my LP weighed 12 lbs I might.

Thanks. I checked the weights of quite a few tuner sets. One of the lightest is the Gibsob Deluxe pearloiids. They're lighter than Grovers. Les Pauls tend towards being heavy. I wonder if this is why Gibson used the deluxe tuners back in 1959?

Today people load up the alrerady heavy LP with steel bridges and heavy tuners and thencomplain their LP is heavy.

For even lighter tuners you could use cheap die cast/plastic tuners that weigh less than half what a grover locking tuner weighs. You can save a lot of weight by your choice of tuners. I don't know too many folks whod put a $18 set of tuners on a $2500 Standard to save 4 ounces but if my LP weighed 12 lbs I might.

I think if neck heaviness is the problem it may make some difference, but on the overall weight of a guitar?

Wouldn't that be insignificant? Would your shoulder really notice if it's a Kluson or a Grover?

I changed the stock zamak tailpiece for an aluminium one, didn't notice anithing, at least on the weight subject.

It's a guitar not a race car, if a Les Paul is to heavy on your back try an SG or a Telecaster, that makes much more difference than tuners.

I think if neck heaviness is the problem it may make some difference, but on the overall weight of a guitar?

Wouldn't that be insignificant? Would your shoulder really notice if it's a Kluson or a Grover?

I changed the stock zamak tailpiece for an aluminium one, didn't notice anithing, at least on the weight subject.

It's a guitar not a race car, if a Les Paul is to heavy on your back try an SG or a Telecaster, that makes much more difference than tuners.

Agreed. Who notices three ounces. So why not add three ounces to your heavy LP?

metal to plastic jack plate- 1 oz

metal covered pickups to bare bobbins- 4 ozs

Grover locking tuner to Gibby vintage- 3 ozs

Remove pick guard 5 bozs

-------------------------------------------------

13 ozs in weight reduction

That is a major reduction in weight.

Archived