Gibson Brands Forums

2016 J-45 Vintage vs 1946 J-45 vs 2015 Standard J-45

Gibby46

Had a chance to compare this weekend. I own a 46 and 2015 Standard and bought a 2016 J-45 vintage on a whim since I had a chance to buy at cost. I don't post much so be kind. I was surprised which one was my favorite in the tone department. All guitars have bone N/S and I put Elixirs HD light PB's on them.

Neck Size: 46 is a big D shape, 2016 J-45 Vintage is a nice C (reminds me or 52-53 J-45 neck shape). Standard is a smaller.

Weight: 46 and 2016 Vintage are identical in weight. Standard feels like a lug after comparing. Those grovers make the standard feel top (headstock) heavy.

Light Shine: I wanted to see if the 46 and 2016 Vintage had a similar light shine threw on the top and they do. Very little light shines threw which I'm told is the cell structure closed up on a vintage guitar. They looked identical. The Standard had a very bright glow with allot of light shinning threw.

Appointments: 2016 Vintage had nice old appearing klusons. Knocked down finish. What always bothers me is they put the reverse belly bridge on a banner, small point. No taper headstock like my 46. With me eyes closed they feel indentical except the neck.

Tone: As always subjective.

I was truly surprised how much my 46 and 2016 Vintage sound similar. They are warm, have a deep hollow reverb and more subdued than the J-45 TV or "new" adi top guitars I have/played. My 46 sounds more old/vintage but they are very close. Playability is easier on the 2016 Vntage vs my 46 which has a bigger neck and bar frets.

If you want a vintage soundi in a new J-45 it's the way to go. As always with Gibson try before you buy. They vary so much.

My Standard: This is my favorite in the tone department because of "better note separation". It's a little louder and for some reason has great tone, newer tone but still really great. Again this was a special J-45 I picked up and on the first strum I knew It was a good one. The only thing I like better is the light weight/look and neck of the 46 and 2016 Vintage, but I Prefer the standards tone. That's not true with all vintage guitars, I have a 60's D-28 I love and my Favorite guitar is a Vintage D-18.

I sent back the 2016 Vintage since I have the 46. Hope that helps someone comparing or thinking of these guitars.

Play before you buy (if possible)

Take Care.

That's crazy (interesting). And yet another of several ringing endorsements recently on how good the J-45 Standard can be. But, as you say, old or recent, they all can vary.

Light shine test? Thanks for providing one more rabbit hole to jump down into, and thank you for the report.

Thanks for this triple-review. You come a good way around the 3 musketeers and one gets tempted to try a 2016, , , , and join the comparison as well.

Agree with Burst and had the thought before reading his post :

Yes, those black nut Standards can be amazing. Mine is so strong and has lost almost all the compression that gave it that semi-weird personality the first 3-4 years !!

Regarding light - a good poetic topic - I had a pretty fine experience with my pale and natural F-bird last summer. By coincidence the guitar was placed so a handful of direct sun rays fell straight through the top. And there on the bottom of the box were the most beautiful salmon-coloured light-spots. 2 or 3 at the irregular size of smaller leaves.

Never seen that before or after. But if it happens again, I'll remember to check the vintage ones in that same position. Closed cells, , , aha. . .

Welcome, Gibby46 ^ Tell us more whenever you feel like it

I used a flashlight for the light. I'm trying to post a picture of the three all together but it says the file is to big.

It's night here and I just sat a pretty concentratrated flashlight against a few tops.

Ooouh that F-bird like has a fire-glow inside and really lives up to its name here.

The H-bird has a more subdued inner shine and the 45 remains dark. So does the vintage department, both bursts and naturals.

Aha again. .

Try to post pics via Photobucket - it's not that complicated.

I did it for sound. I changed the nut and saddle when I bought it since they offered to do it for free. Again tone is subjective but I think it made it a little brighter and almost lost a little bit of the deeper/warmer tone. It did make the string/note separation better. At some point I might try the tusq saddle again. I do want to get rid the the pickup and put in a K&K or something else. I play most of my guitars with a few different bands and the K&K with a red eye pre-amp has worked great for me.

I did it for sound.

Ouh, it's hard to tell when both saddle and nut are switched at the same time.

I replaced the original tusq saddle for bone and it got clearer.

On another Gibson I fiddled between horn and tusq nut, , , and liked T better tho the H sounded smoother and had more sustain.

Yes, swear there was difference - went back and forth several times over a couple of days to be sure.

What a great trio to have to choose from. Its a pity however that you had Elxirs on as I find those strings make guitars sound more the same rather than bringing out their unique tonal identity.

Would have been curious what your assessment would have been if you had non coated PB's on them all.

The 2016 J 45 vintage is a very good sounding guitar. I never found a newer J 45 standard that I liked. They just didn't sound dry enough for what I want. I can see others really liking them.

I haven't played many older vintage Gibsons (30s-40s), five or six at most. The best was a 1939 J 35, but all pre 50s J 45s were wonderful. The 60s Gibsons were all over the place from good to very close to the magic of the banners.

In the end the new J 45 vintage lost out to my 65 Texan. They are getting very close to building an old sounding guitar.

I agree.

I had three days to review the 2016 Vintage before I had to send it back and with busy kids in sports it got down to a 1 1/2 day review.

I did try it with the strings that came on the 2016 Vintage and then I thought I should have more consistancy and the only strings I had three packs of was the elixirs. I figured if Post anything someone would mention that the strings were all different.

I had Martin retro' s on the 46 originally and Martin Lifespans on the Standard.

Take Care.

The 2016 J 45 vintage is a very good sounding guitar. I never found a newer J 45 standard that I liked. They just didn't sound dry enough for what I want. I can see others really liking them.

I haven't played many older vintage Gibsons (30s-40s), five or six at most. The best was a 1939 J 35, but all pre 50s J 45s were wonderful. The 60s Gibsons were all over the place from good to very close to the magic of the banners.

In the end the new J 45 vintage lost out to my 65 Texan. They are getting very close to building an old sounding guitar.

I recently A/B'd my '91 SJ45 to a new J45 Vintage, and they sounded very close tone wise. I never heard the same in a newer J45 yet, but they might be out there. Gibson had that particular hollow resonant sound in the early 90's, but lost it for awhile, (at least I didn't hear it) now its back in the J45 Vintage.

Also stood them side by side and noticed the new J45 Vintage is a bit taller or skinnier in the upper bout whereas mine is a bit more stout in the upper bout shoulders.

I did it for sound. I changed the nut and saddle when I bought it since they offered to do it for free. Again tone is subjective but I think it made it a little brighter and almost lost a little bit of the deeper/warmer tone. It did make the string/note separation better. At some point I might try the tusq saddle again. I do want to get rid the the pickup and put in a K&K or something else. I play most of my guitars with a few different bands and the K&K with a red eye pre-amp has worked great for me.

I actually wrote a post a few days ago where I described quite much the same feeling when switching to bone saddle and pins. The guitar felt brighter and somewhat thinner. After a few days, it settled in or I got used to it. Anyway I also wrote That I believe it is the price to have more clarity, separation and a snappier, tighter low end.

I don't play coated strings like you but 80/20's medium lights from Thomastik Infeld that maybe balance the brightness after the " break in" period of a few weeks.

• 7 months later...

"My Standard: This is my favorite in the tone department because of "better note separation". It's a little louder and for some reason has great tone, newer tone but still really great. Again this was a special J-45 I picked up and on the first strum I knew It was a good one. "

This is the very reason I chose my standard J-45 over six others, including several signature and custom shop models.

Light Shine Test. I was reading stuff on old wood and torefaction and it showed pictures of new guitars vs old guitars with a flashlight on the top pressed against the top shining in towards the inside of the guitar and the old guitars had very little light shine through because the wood cells were closed off apparently and on the new guitars you can see the light shine through.

I used and inspection mirror also to see how it shined through in different locations. Weather this is hype or real there is a difference. It was some article out of Finland I believe that did some study on torefaction and compared old wood to new wood. They also had electron microscope pictures showing the difference between old wood, new wood and torefied wood.

As the comment above I think for me it's the note separation that I like and playability on my new standard. Again I played more standards that I did not like than liked.

Still love my 46 J-45 and the vintage tone but for writing music and playing out with a band or acoustic the new one works great. Plus I don't mind so much about the dings and wear. They're all great guitars, New one, Vintage or the New Vintage J-45. I did play a new Vintage J-45 at Dave's guitar a month ago and it was definitely better than the one I had for a short period so it appears they also vary a little in sound.

My Best.

Archived