Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson A-4 Mandolin

I am searching for a vintage Gibson A-4 mandolin mostly for display but I want it to be playable. I have two options in my search. I found a 1914 A-4 Blackface but it has a small crack on the back that is supposedly "stable" but unrepaired. The seller won't come off the price. Otherwise, the mandolin is pristine. But the crack worries me. The second option is a 1915 A-4 sunburst that has had a small crack repaired. I cannot discern the crack from the pictures and the price is more reasonable.

Any thoughts as to collectability with sunburst versus blackface A-4 mandolins?

Thanks.

1200 to 1500 is about the going rate for one without a sunk top.. I had a good one but It found a good home already..

I don't think it matters on color.. but...... with black.. a top is easier to hide flaws.

UPDATE: I purchased a 1915 A-4 reddish sunburst Gibson from Vintage Instruments (Fred Oster). The mandolin came today and it's gorgeous. I tried to attach a picture but the file was too large and it wouldn't let me.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I purchased a 1915 A-4 reddish sunburst Gibson from Vintage Instruments (Fred Oster). The mandolin came today and it's gorgeous. I tried to attach a picture but the file was too large and it wouldn't let me.

Try photobucket or another image hosting site. Congrats on the A4!

• 2 years later...

Archived