Gibson Brands Forums

Nashville Customshop vs Memphis Customshop?

nationalmojo

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the UK, and am about to buy a 335 Customshop 59 Dot. I'm told in shops that Gibson now make these exclusively in Memphis and no longer in Nashville. Is this true?

When I last considered getting one of these 5 years ago, the general consensus seemed to be that Nashville customshop products were superior to Memphis, any updates on this opinion?

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I believe that you are correct in that the ES-335s are all made in Memphis now. Five years ago many of them were being made in Nashville. I had an ES-355 built for me in Nashville five years ago their build quality at that time was much better at that time. I think that is still the case. I have seen a number of guitars that have come out of Memphis in the last few years and have not been impressed by their output.

• 1 year later...

I went to Gibson Memphis last year and asked about this because I have an 08 335 custom. The factory supervisor explained that the basic 335 guitar is built in Memphis and then sent to the Nashville custom shop for conpletion. As I recall there is no custom shop in Memphis.

Hope this helps

Archived