Gibson Brands Forums

frets

Roach

My 2015 LP Studio is the first guitar i have had this problem with. Is it common? When i slide my left had towards the pickup while holding a string down to get that sliding sound between chords, the frets sometimes stop me and feel like they want to cut me, both from where i am on the string and also the edge of the frets under the high E string, they seem to "catch" me more than any other guitar and they seem sharp, is this normal perhaps with a wide neck like mine is? Is it poor technical form, hand position? or is it possible something isn't right with the guitar??

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also the edge of the frets under the high E string,

That problem may be due to expanding of the fret wire in the warm summer months. Did you notice it as much in the winter?

I've seen others post about this issue. I've never had a problem with the frets on my LP but like was said by Farms, you may need to have your frets looked at. You might try contacting Gibson about that too, seems like a 1 year old guitar should not have fret problems like this and for the price you pay you should not have the frets protruding out the side of the neck either.

Its not like the frets are actually visually sticking out but it just feels like it at times as of about a week ago. Yes it gets hot up in my room but i keep it in the case and away from direct sunlight.

well i have had it only since August and only just last week did i start noticing that it was stopping me from sliding, smoothly. and also, that from playing position, the side of neck, under the high E, seemed to be having some attack on my hands from frets. I say "seemed" because what i am going through is the stage my fingers are already hurting like hell from playing more than i ever have, and the last thing that i want it to be is the guitar... especially after i invested even more after i bought it, to set it up and personalize it with machine heads 21:1 and so on...

Just ran my finger along the side of neck and i can feel each fret give me a bump on that side of neck the other side too, but not as bad and its just like they are sharp enough to cut, but not sticking out it seems like its at the peak of the angle part and each side of the width of fret it has to be felt.

i can go back to my luthier guy but he is far, its a pain.

I was hoping someone would say it was just me and call me a noob...but this might actually be a real problem, huh? Last thing i needed in my life now.

(edit)

It is almost as if the ends of frets were not cut or filed completely so as to keep them from being too sharp, but it is probably like you guys said and maybe the warm whether caused them to rise just enough to feel the edges, but i have no idea how to examine that for myself, and i do not understand why a 2015 would so easily and quickly have this issue. It would be warranty'd yes? Like i said i live a good distance from the people i know that could help. So i thought i would see if this is a known thing , common, or unlikely... Thanks for helping

When i slide my left had towards the pickup while holding a string down to get that sliding sound between chords,

I also have two 2015 guitars and have not experienced these problems.

But…. I have never done what you describe either.

I never slide along the fretboard. I always let go when changing position. It’s quicker, it’s easier and you also don’t get the wizzy-rasping sound when dragging fingers over the frets.

It seems odd to me that you want to get this sound on purpose. I’m not knocking it or telling you not to do this because it’s all down to personal taste.

I have had a look at my 339 and the fret ends are a little sharper than I would prefer. However it doesn’t bother me and nothing snags. If it did bother me I would take it to my luthier.

If a luthier was out of reach, I’d do the job myself with a needle file (after taping up the fingerboard wood for protection).

For a thorough and careful job it would take about 30 minutes.

20 seconds per edge x 4 edges per fret x 22 frets = 1760 seconds

A smooth file would get about 45 micro-inch surface finish. Good enough for fret ends.

Its not like the frets are actually visually sticking out but it just feels like it at times as of about a week ago. Yes it gets hot up in my room but i keep it in the case and away from direct sunlight.

well i have had it only since August and only just last week did i start noticing that it was stopping me from sliding, smoothly. and also, that from playing position, the side of neck, under the high E, seemed to be having some attack on my hands from frets. I say "seemed" because what i am going through is the stage my fingers are already hurting like hell from playing more than i ever have, and the last thing that i want it to be is the guitar... especially after i invested even more after i bought it, to set it up and personalize it with machine heads 21:1 and so on...

Just ran my finger along the side of neck and i can feel each fret give me a bump on that side of neck the other side too, but not as bad and its just like they are sharp enough to cut, but not sticking out it seems like its at the peak of the angle part and each side of the width of fret it has to be felt.

I was hoping someone would say it was just me and call me a noob...but this might actually be a real problem, huh? Last thing i needed in my life now.

(edit)

It is almost as if the ends of frets were not cut or filed completely so as to keep them from being too sharp, but it is probably like you guys said and maybe the warm whether caused them to rise just enough to feel the edges, but i have no idea how to examine that for myself, and i do not understand why a 2015 would so easily and quickly have this issue. It would be warranty'd yes? Like i said i live a good distance from the people i know that could help. So i thought i would see if this is a known thing , common, or unlikely... Thanks for helping

It sounds like filing may be what you need to do. If you want to file it, do it now in the warm weather as your frets are at maximum length. It sounds like it could be done at home, but I'd probably let a professional do it if it were me because I'm not good and I don't want to screw anything up.

I usually don't slide across the board holding a fingering, so my experiences with that are quite limited.

However, there's another point that could make a difference. The frets possibly are made from cryogenically treated fret wire. Gibson say that wear is only about a fourth compared to common fret material. Perhaps they also used stainless steel. Either may affect the feel to the player's skin.

Before doing anything I would clear up fret wire and treatment on your guitar. Unfortunately I couldn't find it in the specs.

do you keep this guitar in the case when not playing?

I'd have to see it but it sounds like fret sprout to me. This is caused when the fretboard shrinks and expands due to climate changes, (Dry/Wet) the frets of course, wont move like the wood does, so they can pop out of the edges of the fret board, and create this condition.

Take it to a repair tech and they'll file the edges off a bit.

(edit)

I don't think you are crazy, and it's more normal than not. I'm just guessing you are just noticing it, rather than something changing.

QUALITY of fretwork is something that varies a LOT from different makers and different runs of guitars. In particular, fret ends. It's actually extra work and extra steps to smooth those out, and that particular area doesn't effect anything but feel- that is, doesn't cause buzzing or other issues.

I don't know all the details, but in recent years, Gibson has been all over the place as far as fretwork and specs. Starting with PLEK, to eliminating the nibs, different fret materiel, etc. These things require different processes, and different attention to different areas. I am not sure Gibson has it down yet.

Obvious;y, it's MUCH better and more complete of a job if the ends of the frets are made smoother rather than rougher. If they aren't on the smoother side, it isn't a matter of the guitar or the fretwork being defective, it's more a matter of how far and what level of quality the work has been done to. Frets are like tires on a car, and ideally, for you and the guitar, you will start wearing the frets down and will need a fret dressing and eventually replacement. So, even IF the fretwork started out as PERFECT and highly polished, it wouldn't stay that way.

Of corse, the OTHER thing as far as "feel", is used or worn guitars tends to have lower frets due to having had dressings/leveling, and NEW frets that are kept tall will have a sharper hump or crown to them.

Just offering a little perspective here. Each man has to judge for himself how the guitar feels and how they want it to feel, if they want to spend money on fretwork now or wait till later, or if they want to find a guitar with better fretwork initially or send one back, all these things are personal choice.

do you keep this guitar in the case when not playing?

I'd have to see it but it sounds like fret sprout to me. This is caused when the fretboard shrinks and expands due to climate changes, (Dry/Wet) the frets of course, wont move like the wood does, so they can pop out of the edges of the fret board, and create this condition.

Take it to a repair tech and they'll file the edges off a bit.

yes i do keep it in the case if i didnt mention that.

Guest Farnsbarns

The frets didn't expand or rise, the wood shrunk.

With regards to playing more than ever. I have found that when I play a lot for a period of a few weeks my callouses can catch on frets which need crowning. That might be the reason you feel the frets catching on your hand.

I don't think you are crazy, and it's more normal than not. I'm just guessing you are just noticing it, rather than something changing.

QUALITY of fretwork is something that varies a LOT from different makers and different runs of guitars. In particular, fret ends. It's actually extra work and extra steps to smooth those out, and that particular area doesn't effect anything but feel- that is, doesn't cause buzzing or other issues.

I don't know all the details, but in recent years, Gibson has been all over the place as far as fretwork and specs. Starting with PLEK, to eliminating the nibs, different fret materiel, etc. These things require different processes, and different attention to different areas. I am not sure Gibson has it down yet.

Obvious;y, it's MUCH better and more complete of a job if the ends of the frets are made smoother rather than rougher. If they aren't on the smoother side, it isn't a matter of the guitar or the fretwork being defective, it's more a matter of how far and what level of quality the work has been done to. Frets are like tires on a car, and ideally, for you and the guitar, you will start wearing the frets down and will need a fret dressing and eventually replacement. So, even IF the fretwork started out as PERFECT and highly polished, it wouldn't stay that way.

Of corse, the OTHER thing as far as "feel", is used or worn guitars tends to have lower frets due to having had dressings/leveling, and NEW frets that are kept tall will have a sharper hump or crown to them.

Just offering a little perspective here. Each man has to judge for himself how the guitar feels and how they want it to feel, if they want to spend money on fretwork now or wait till later, or if they want to find a guitar with better fretwork initially or send one back, all these things are personal choice.

Thanks for the great post. Its only september 30th sinse i had it, wouldnt gibson cover this in the warranty? If not i can see having someone do the work but it doesnt seem cheap and if it isnt affecting the sound i suppose i can learn to live with it for now but i will have my luthier friend inspect and get his recommendation too. Seems way to soon to have to have frets worked on. msp_scared.gif

The frets didn't expand or rise, the wood shrunk.

With regards to playing more than ever. I have found that when I play a lot for a period of a few weeks my callouses can catch on frets which need crowning. That might be the reason you feel the frets catching on your hand.

Yea i my fingers are at their most calloused they ever been... sometimes the numbness makes it more difficult to tell if im actually on the string hahah

Someone said they never slide their position. I cant imagine NOT. Sliding into a note gives so much feel to the sound, like a prebend, slowly returning to the fretted note, kinda It gives the guitar more of a voice to express the feeling you want it to, (blues, and rock). but im sure you are a better player than me the way you do it, might be bending and sliding is my way of trying to make up for being so bad, heehee

Someone said they never slide their position. I cant imagine NOT. Sliding into a note gives so much feel to the sound, like a prebend, slowly returning to the fretted note, kinda It gives the guitar more of a voice to express the feeling you want it to, (blues, and rock). but im sure you are a better player than me the way you do it, might be bending and sliding is my way of trying to make up for being so bad, heehee

If you change position quickly, say from the 5th to the 12th fret, keeping hold will slow you down a tad. Certainly more than the back of the neck as claimed by the numptys who tell you to sand it down to a satin finish.

Sliding wont help your callouses either.

If you change position quickly, say from the 5th to the 12th fret, keeping hold will slow you down a tad. Certainly more than the back of the neck as claimed by the numptys who tell you to sand it down to a satin finish.

Sliding wont help your callouses either.

some tunes require it. (black sabbath comes to mind), usually not that far, just a half or whole step most times, off the topic now tho.

If you don't have access to a good luthier in your area, try sandpaper rolled around your middle finger. Hold it about 45 degree on the edge of the fretboard and go lightly back/forth until the edges of the frets feel smooth. Start with 300 grit end up with 1000 or polish with some car magwheel polish.

I always dress my fret ends with files then sandpaper and polish. Gibson's plek'd machine does not or cannot do a good job rounding edges.

hey thanks bence, thats really cool...

Kinda sucks that a brand new guitar already needs this work done especially after i paid for other work already, i put a few hundred into the guitar before i even started playing it. mostly cosmetic + setup + gotoh 21:1 machine tuners, parts and labor, and a tiny bit of routing to stop the pickups from rocking in place as bad as they did. The guy is a luthier, well known in the sf bay area. i have worked with him on other guitars and referred many players to him who all were pleased with his work. He was booked out like a month but he checked it out, right away, to make sure that i could take advantage of the stores return policy if i needed to during the wait, and he didnt even think of holding on to it till then, it took him a day when he did it. I couldn't say if the problem was there at the time because neither of us noticed it. I am not even really sure IF it is a problem at all, but it is there. I went and got an amp the other day and played about 4 other LP'S. Two compared to mine slightly, and one was a little worse, and one had no sharp edges at all.

Hello Roach!

It happened to me too recently. I opened up the Tele's case and saw those protruding frets. I was surprised, as it's a guitar least susceptible for such things to happen: one-piece maple neck and fretboard. No problems with my sentitive Gibsons.

Anyways, guitars are like cars: always need a tweaking here and there.

Bence.

Hello Roach!

It happened to me too recently. I opened up the Tele's case and saw those protruding frets. I was surprised, as it's a guitar least susceptible for such things to happen: one-piece maple neck and fretboard. No problems with my sentitive Gibsons.

Anyways, guitars are like cars: always need a tweaking here and there.

Bence.

Well if i bought a brand new car i would expect that the steering wheel would be smooth enough to grip it without sharp edges making me feel im getting cut, but i understand your point, basically deal with it right. That tool looks perfect.

Archived