Gibson Brands Forums

DR100 or PR350 Vsb?

Hi all,

Found these two guitars for sale second hand for a very similar price. Think the 350 has a few dents on the headstock. Doesn't bother me though.

Would anyone be able to explain the difference between them as I can't find much on the Internet and what you would go for personally.

Am I right in thinking the 350 is more mid range with a solid top or am I way off here?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hey, welcome to the boards, Smellin.

Here's a link to the PR300 series. Oddly, I don't see the "VSB." Vintage sunburst? Black? I don't know. As you say, unlike the DR100, the 350 likely has a solid top and may sound a bit better, but that's the real test: play them both, take the one you like better, and join the club!

Hello and welcome to the board.

To answer your question accurately (or more accurately) would take more info. There is nothing wrong with the DR 100 for a beginner or to use as a beater for camping and such. I have a Tito's vodka one promotion one and to be honest, for a hundred dollar guitar it is pretty sweet.

The PR-350 is probably a little better constructed (they are both laminated) if a few nicks and dents bothers you (it does me) then pass on it. Was the 350 humidified? What kind of shape is it in? Are you going to have to put another $75 in it to have it even playable?

If you are a beginner, nothing will kill your quest of learning than to get a guitar with lousy action and not knowing what or how to get it in playable condition. Not everything that looks like a bargain...is...

Hi again,

Thanks for the info guys, really big help.

I've been playing for years on and off but I've never really put much cash into guitars, can never settle on one thing.

I'm only looking at getting one of these guitars because I moved about a year ago and didn't take a guitar with me so would like something to play. I think I'd be pretty happy with both just as long as it sounds good, they're both going for around 80 dollars. I don't have the cash to spend right now and didn't really expect to be able to get an epiphone for that anyway.

I've got an electro acoustic back home which I bought when I was sixteen which I used to like but actually sounds terrible. It's a cut away with a tiny body. So really looking for something with a bigger body and a better tone.

• 1 month later...
1466030555[/url]' post='1778040']

Minimally ask the seller to

What is the string height at the 12th fret? Does the truss rod work? Is the bridge pulled up? There are few things than buying a $80 door stop...

I have a 350 12 string. It is a laminated top. This belonged to my grandmother who died in 1997 and I have had it since then. It plays fine has a decent sound to it. I don't know if it is a fair comparable for a six string. Hope this helps.

I had a little experience of 350's during the 1990's, although I never actually owned one. Not a bad guitar for the price, as I recall. The question, though, is how that model stands up over time. Have never played the 100, but have never heard anything bad about them. Looks to me like you have a 50% chance (without playing 'em) of getting the right one.

I have a 1995 MIK PR-350 , which I scored in a trade a few months ago. I'm 57 and have been playing for over 43 years. I also own a DR-100 and a couple of Fender Acoustics and this one blows them all away. When I got it, the action was very high and I couldn't unscrew the cover on the truss rod because the screw was stripped, so I took off the saddle and sanded it down. Now the action is perfect and it plays great. I did change the stock ,plastic , bridge pins to a new set of D'Andrea Brass ones which have made a huge difference in the sound and just yesterday, ordered a new, Epiphone EDREAD HS case for it, from Musician's Friend for only 95 bucks , which is the lowest price I could find for it. I had been using a gig bag for it. So, if I was you, I would definately get the PR-350 . They are great sounding instruments and IMO, a huge mistake for Epiphone to cease making them.

Hello and welcome to the board.

To answer your question accurately (or more accurately) would take more info. There is nothing wrong with the DR 100 for a beginner or to use as a beater for camping and such. I have a Tito's vodka one promotion one and to be honest, for a hundred dollar guitar it is pretty sweet.

The PR-350 is probably a little better constructed (they are both laminated) if a few nicks and dents bothers you (it does me) then pass on it. Was the 350 humidified? What kind of shape is it in? Are you going to have to put another $75 in it to have it even playable?

If you are a beginner, nothing will kill your quest of learning than to get a guitar with lousy action and not knowing what or how to get it in playable condition. Not everything that looks like a bargain...is...

Late to the party, but I'd have to agree I have a 3 year old DR100 that I bought as a guitar I could take out and not be concerned if it got a ding or two. That said, I'm amazed that Epi (or anyone) can build a guitar this nice and sell it for $100USD. Beginner or not, a great deal depending on what you're after IMHO. I have absolutely zero experience with a 350 however, ao take my opinion for what it's worth LOL.

Archived