Gibson Brands Forums

Political threads and flatulence

ksdaddy

18. No Racial, Religious, or Political post will be allowed on the forums.

I know opinions are strong. People are passionate about what they believe is right. Rule #18 has not been enforced very well and it's clear the forum has suffered as a result. People start out discussing a hot topic and by page 3 it gets out of hand, the topic gets removed, people go away and lick their wounds until next time. The cycle repeats....and repeats.

Sorry folks, rule #18 will be enforced. There are lots of places on the internet where politics can be discussed. As long as I am a moderator, it won't be here.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a sound policy for a guitar web forum.

Political discussions are rarely 'discussions' so much as bitter attacks between members of the far-left and the hard-right tribal, warring factions.

The US has become so God-awfully polarized, as has much of Europe, and there has evolved (on the internet anyway) a culture of hatred, animosity, and complete and utter intolerance for opposing viewpoints.

Worse yet, when you attempt to post an independent, non-partisan opinion, there is a rush to pigeon-hole you into one camp or another.

There's no room for independent thought, and no tolerance for an unwillingness to be put into this box or that box.

The internet culture of 'us versus them' demands blind allegiance to the Party narrative, and the truth be damned.

The problem is when an innocent, well-intentioned poster shares a current events new story, and that thread devolves into an ugly partisan-political blood-bath.

It's not an easy thing to moderate (I know, I was a moderator on more than one political web forum), and I don't envy you that job, ksdaddy.

:mellow:

Yea, I get it.

I have to say though, while many of us have crossed the line into politics, this forum here has done a pretty good job keeping it friendly AND respectful, even as the rules about it say we shouldn't.

Along with that, have to give credit, a LOT of credit to the mods, (and I think in this case KSDADDY) for letting things ride and getting them gone when things get ugly. Real cool.

And of corse, more often than not the line doesn't just get crossed, it kinda creeps over it until it's well over. They don't always start that way.

Political threads can be decisive, indeed.

But, I have found that—and this goes for everywhere, and not just here—our ability to "debate", and learn from each other, was been lost at some point. When one "side" presents the other "side" with facts, and those facts are dismissed over a preference for "beliefs", then that's when things get.... messy.

So, it's better that we not introduce that dynamic into this forum.

Thanks!

Might add, there is one guy on here who seems to devolve into downright ugliness on anything political, who is maybe ready for the ban stick.

But it's kinda hard to enforce that when he is doing it on threads we shouldn't have in the first place, ain't it?

Again, a thanks for the leniency, and the understanding that sometimes we get carried away, both in getting political AND for those who get too "passionate", and the good moderating.

I think you should just lock the threads and leave them up. This is what happens and this is why it happens sorta thing. When you come here and the thread is just vaporized you have no idea why it went on for 4 or 2 or 11 pages and then went off the rails, so if you haven't seen it in a while you have no idea what is and what isn't acceptable.

rct

I think you should just lock the threads and leave them up. This is what happens and this is why it happens sorta thing. When you come here and the thread is just vaporized you have no idea why it went on for 4 or 2 or 11 pages and then went off the rails, so if you haven't seen it in a while you have no idea what is and what isn't acceptable.

rct

Yes, same here. That one yesterday I was finding quite interesting, noticed the op was posting and thought I'd check back later to see what was said and it had vanished. I hadn't noticed anything political up to that point. I actually find some of those types of threads the interesting in regards to the poster's psychology rather than the topic itself - and stops it for just becoming the 'Kumbayah Lounge' it otherwise resembles at times - but can appreciate that, as a commercial enterprise looking to promote a positive image, Gibson has every right to remove stuff from its own site which its thinks the casual observer may see and associate negatively toward the company. I give credit to Gibson that people are still allowed to be critical of its own product and express positive views on its competitors' products on this forum.

Tough job ksdaddy and thanks for what you do. I see that you let people discuss away, even with opinions on topics that you personally don't agree with. I also see that as soon the name calling starts and it gets out of hand and becomes unnecessarily personal you stop it.

I too would like to see what led up to it (unless really dangerous posts or completely nuts posts that need to be vaporized).

Might add, there is one guy on here who seems to devolve into downright ugliness on anything political, who is maybe ready for the ban stick.

But it's kinda hard to enforce that when he is doing it on threads we shouldn't have in the first place, ain't it?

Exactly. That rule should be hard and fast. I don't come here for political discourse of any kind but when it rears its head you'd better be prepared to get as good as you give. As for the ban stick, I have a helpful storage suggestion for you. PM me for a diagram. Peace out. \:D/

Thank you! Political posts never end up being a good thing on forums unrelated to politics. I've had to quit two forums in the last few years because they got hijacked by really vile political posts. I was a paid lifetime premium member of one of those forums. Not only did they ignore their own rules on political posts, but one of the administrators (a political extremist) was starting them and encouraging them. This does not need to happen here. This forum is too good to be brought down by political bickering!

Thank you and I apologize if I spouted off when I should have kept my opinions to myself.

I don't think it was you Bro. Pretty sure I'm the one who kicked it over the edge.

I got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore and just had so say my piece.

It was gone moments after I posted.

Can't say that I really care that it got nuked. I'm good with it. Thank you Ksdaddy.

There was nothing of any value in the thread anyway.

I don't come here for political discourse of any kind

Me either. And for the most part I don't usually read it. But things are slow here these days.

I find myself reading stuff I normally skim past.

I read. I got angry. I reacted.

As Ksdaddy said, there are plenty of sites out there to discuss that crap.

Please go there to post your opinions. That way I don't have to see them.

Cuz hey, if I have to hear yours, it's only fair you have to hear mine.

I figure I'm the political polar opposite of 90% of the forum members here.

So my opinions are not real popular. They are however, just as legitimate.

Racial,Religion,and politics can be the lowest form of conversation.

Yup.

Really, to the point though, is HATE conversation is what's low, and if wanting to hate, those are the subjects that lend itself to it.

But when talking the language of love, can also at times be the best topics. But I think we call them other things than these "ugly three".

Really, to the point though, is HATE conversation is what's low, and if wanting to hate, those are the subjects that lend itself to it.

I will agree and disagree with that comment. The agree part is a no brainer. There is no place anywhere in life for hate.

Hate sucks. What pi$$es me off about the whole hate thing is comedy. PC comedy in particular. I personally have no problem with jokes

poking fun at ethnic, religious, gay or even the odd dead baby joke. I LOVE politically incorrect humor. It's all just humor. When it stops being humor is when it becomes hateful. There are those who use humor to vent their true hateful feelings. Veiling it as humor.

That said, I agree with Mr. Gibson. Racial, Religion and politics are the lowest form of conversation. I completely agree.

The reason being is that all participants are already set in their ways. Nobody is pulling anyone over to "their" side.

All that ends up happening is a gigantic pi$$ing contest. With all the participants spewing their own beliefs.

All the while pretending it's all a constructive "discussion". People simply get off saying what they think is right.

They will never convince the other participants of their beliefs just as they will never drop their own beliefs to believe what the other is saying. For the most part they just come off as sounding like they love hearing themselves talk.

And to be honest, I don't even think their beliefs are what pi$$ me off. I just can't stand listening to people who love to hear themselves talk.

I will agree and disagree with that comment. The agree part is a no brainer. There is no place anywhere in life for hate.

Hate sucks. What pi$$es me off about the whole hate thing is comedy. PC comedy in particular. I personally have no problem with jokes

poking fun at ethnic, religious, gay or even the odd dead baby joke. I LOVE politically incorrect humor. It's all just humor. When it stops being humor is when it becomes hateful. There are those who use humor to vent their true hateful feelings. Veiling it as humor.

That said, I agree with Mr. Gibson. Racial, Religion and politics are the lowest form of conversation. I completely agree.

The reason being is that all participants are already set in their ways. Nobody is pulling anyone over to "their" side.

All that ends up happening is a gigantic pi$$ing contest. With all the participants spewing their own beliefs.

All the while pretending it's all a constructive "discussion". People simply get off saying what they think is right.

They will never convince the other participants of their beliefs just as they will never drop their own beliefs to believe what the other is saying. For the most part they just come off as sounding like they love hearing themselves talk.

And to be honest, I don't even think their beliefs are what pi$$ me off. I just can't stand listening to people who love to hear themselves talk.

Good points made, IMHO. I try not to get sounding professorial 'cause that often comes off as a pain in the butt, however this might be an OK time to add that both discussion and debate are essentially academic activities meant to adhere to definite rules and procedures in a relatively formal setting. Debate, especially, is meant to occur with little or no emotional under (or over) tone, and to be scored in an equally unemotional way. What usually happens informally, in 'real life', tends to be more akin to a shouting match which can easily degenerate into a verbal sort of warfare. I think of it as the kind of domestic dispute that often terminates only after a visit from the police.

I'm the same with humor. To me, the funniest jokes also have an element of making fun of the one telling them, that is, the joke teller should come off as maybe a bit dumb or worthy of being pokes fun at, and really, the reason some ethnic or religious jokes are so funny is because they are so on the "dumb" side they can't be taken seriously. That's HUMOR to me.

And also, I DO get a bit angry at hate masked as humor. Using humor to make a political point, that's kinda up there with political songs. Just because a joke is funny or a song is good doesn't make the point right.

I agree with what you say about political "debates", in that, that IS how they work in real life, BUT that's really what's wrong with things, and why things are so polarized.

Even IF there isn't debate, but just a stating of views, it's good to hear what the "other side" feels and why they feel that way. It's just that usually, the two sides don't respect each other, don't expect to, don't want to, AND besides that, more often than not the "other side" really just has a position that is against the other side, more so than just a different ideal. Nobody appreciates hearing how much somebody hates their opinion.

To sum it up, "we" have lost the ability to have political discussions, I don't mean on the forum, but rather in society, which the end result is they must be banned from places or forums cause we just can't do it.

Archived