Gibson Brands Forums

Who is the best YouTube guitar teacher for semi-beginner :)

I do know music pretty well, since I have played a violin/fiddle for 20 some years but I really would like to learn more about playing guitar and expand my music skills.

I have self taught myself guitar chords for a while now (about 4 years) and I would like to do more than just chords. I would like to learn how to do guitar riffs, more soloist things and more complex, jazz like chords and progressions.

I know, taking lessons from a real person would be the most ideal, but like most musicians, I can't afford it at the moment, so my questions is, who is the best guitar teacher on YouTube that can help me expand my guitar skills?

Thanks a lot!!

PS Don't worry, as soon as I have some extra cash... in like a few years ;) (kidding) I will get a real teacher! I just want some things to work on now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Two things that work for me.

I pay for my Internet by the GB, so off-line is more economical. For that, by far, the best product I have found is Rocksmith 2014.

The best online lessons I have found is from Guitar Mastery Method. Tons of videos, downloadble tabs and lesson sheets, live streaming lessons, and links to editing tools, metronomes and other cool stuff.

• 1 month later...

Yes, Justin Sandercoe (www.justinguitar.com) is a very generous person for providing so many FREE tutorials on YouTube and on his website.

And I do remember PrivateTricker who sadly had to let go of his YouTube Channel (he got harassed and intimated by some bullies); he moved on and created the channel under "James James". PrivateTricker is still accessible (it includes covers as well as tutorials), but the comment section has been disabled since that event. He's a real nice guy. All of his tutorials are free as well. :)

Since I began my journey in learning guitar (3 years ago to this day, and I'm now 50 yo), I've discovered this one about a year ago, when I was still a beginner and wanted to learn how to play Angie from The Rolling Stones as close as the original studio version: "Shutup & Play". He has many tutorial uploads that will tickle your fancy, especially if Classic Rock is your thing. This somewhat developed my muscle memory and helped improved my playing immensely. It encouraged me to look for intermediate tutorials and keep practicing on a daily basis.

Then, if you are up for a real challenge, well, the "language" barrier type of challenge, look for "Cifra Club" channel on YouTube. It's a bunch of young and very knowledgeable music teachers from Brazil...so they speak Portuguese. They provide full tutorials for "Acoustic Guitar" (violao means acoustic), "Electric Guitar" (guitarra stands for Electric Guit), "Base Guitar" (which is Baixo), Drums (which is Bateria), Singing (which is under Canto), and so on! They have THE best teaching method in my opinion. During the tutorials, they show everything: chords, tabs, strumming patterns, etc. You'll then realize that "Music" is a language of its own. I've learned from their Tutorial and now play "Stairway To Heaven" (and play it with a band too!) very close to the original version. I've embarked on the journey to learn "Alive" from Pearl Jam, and they provide the most accurate tab from all my searches so far.

The ones I mentioned above are my go to channels when I want to learn a song in-depth close to the original version. :)

Cheers and Rock On!

Josee

• 3 weeks later...

Truefire.com lessons are great. They are not free but they are inexpensive for the amount of lesson s you get compared to a teacher.(usually 3-4 hours worth of lessons for around $30.) I like them because the give a cohesive and sequential set of lessons on a multitude of styles and you can preview to see if the lessons are what you are looking for. Often , there are fire sales and the lessons are significantly discounted. They usually come with video, tab. notation and backing tracks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been with this guy off/on for a couple years now. Purely fingerstyle (you pick the melody line..not just strumming) Level 1 thru Level 6. You get into level 5-6 he brisks thru the tutorials rather quickly..based on the assumption you have some skill to be looking at 5/6 grade lessons.

Here's an example of a L6 along with his website. He's a country boy from Georgia that from what I can gather his son put him in front of the camera and said 'pick it pa... not much charisma on the YT videos, but a good man once you get into his lessons.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I do know music pretty well, since I have played a violin/fiddle for 20 some years but I really would like to learn more about playing guitar and expand my music skills.

I have self taught myself guitar chords for a while now (about 4 years) and I would like to do more than just chords. I would like to learn how to do guitar riffs, more soloist things and more complex, jazz like chords and progressions.

I know, taking lessons from a real person would be the most ideal, but like most musicians, I can't afford it at the moment, so my questions is, who is the best guitar teacher on YouTube that can help me expand my guitar skills?

Thanks a lot!!

PS Don't worry, as soon as I have some extra cash... in like a few years ;) (kidding) I will get a real teacher! I just want some things to work on now.

https://www.youtube.com/user/QuistTV/

I would not necessarily call him a teacher, but certainly a maestro. He has loads of jam tracks along with good notes for improvisation ie. keys, suggested modes / scales and he does some great covers. He is heavy on the jazz / blues / funk, which is awesome. Worth the visit.

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely Justin Sandercoe, JamesJames AKA Privettricker and Marty Schwartz. These guys are talented, generous with their time and gifts. They never ask for a dime.Marty does sell DVD's and lessons but gives alot for free.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived