Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

alternate picking - solved

#1 User is offline   Roach 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:27 PM

I played drums for decades. Always had a little fantasy about guitar, got serious a few times then frustrated , stopped, started again a few times, but when i got my 2015 Les Paul Studio i got serious again. As a former drummer i could not understand why i was having an impossible time maintaining a steady 16th note pattern with up down picking over 80 bpm, even just on one string. OVER NIGHT i found the solution and (literally last night). I turn 48 next month this was an absolute life changer for me and i am just amazed that nobody ever told me this. i was using the end of my first finger and thumb to hold the pick. It was more than wrong, the tip of pick would end up facing backwards and id miss the string entirely. Yesterday i found this picture online:

https://gyazo.com/67...ecb0687bd0cc452

SOLVED my problem immediately.
Hope my post will help someone else who never had this shown to them and is having the same problem i had.

Posted Image
2015 Les Paul Studio (MM)
2000 Les Paul Special w/hums

Year? Ibanez RG120
Yamaha FS-311 7/8ths scale Acoustic

Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401 12" CG 40w
Line 6 Spyder IV 15
Danelectro HT50 in Nifty Fifty cab
Focusrite Scarlett Solo PC USB interface
SM-57 Mic

#2 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

Yep, that's the correct way to hold your pick. At your age, you likely haven't noticed, but as you age and get more arthritic, you may find that you start buying larger picks. Not really related to holding position, but just something I find amusing as I survey my stash of active/inactive picks.

#3 User is offline   Roach 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:59 PM

View PostOldCowboy, on 18 June 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

Yep, that's the correct way to hold your pick. At your age, you likely haven't noticed, but as you age and get more arthritic, you may find that you start buying larger picks. Not really related to holding position, but just something I find amusing as I survey my stash of active/inactive picks.

i use a standard shap sized pick like in the photo, medium thin. i can see myself using thicker picks as i develop more finesse and ease off on beating on the strings like a drummer would. Fortunately arthritis has not affected me so far... although i do have some pain starting up in my pointer finger of the left hand, making standard C and Am chords more difficult. Im hoping like h it isnt that. ^.

The point of my post really was to offer that bit of information that nobody ever told me and by doing it right, changed the world for alternate picking for me. first played at age 6 so 41 years i played wrong, that is why i would have never been able to do alternate picking above 80 bpm with any consistency. This was a profound miraculous discovery to me yet so so simple. I hoped to save the next player who didnt know this too. even if it doesnt help anyone at least i tried
Posted Image

Year? Ibanez RG120

Line 6 Spyder IV 15
SM-57 Mic

#4 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:24 PM

View PostRoach, on 19 June 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

i use a standard shap sized pick like in the photo, medium thin. i can see myself using thicker picks as i develop more finesse and ease off on beating on the strings like a drummer would. Fortunately arthritis has not affected me so far... although i do have some pain starting up in my pointer finger of the left hand, making standard C and Am chords more difficult. Im hoping like h it isnt that. ^.

The point of my post really was to offer that bit of information that nobody ever told me and by doing it right, changed the world for alternate picking for me. first played at age 6 so 41 years i played wrong, that is why i would have never been able to do alternate picking above 80 bpm with any consistency. This was a profound miraculous discovery to me yet so so simple. I hoped to save the next player who didnt know this too. even if it doesnt help anyone at least i tried

It's good information and I have no doubts that quite a few folks hold their flatpicks incorrectly, especially among those of us who figured out a lot of stuff for ourselves initially. Glad the arthritis problem hasn't afflicted you - the more you play, the less of a nuisance it's likely to become.

#5 User is offline   Roach 

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:14 AM

View PostOldCowboy, on 20 June 2016 - 05:24 PM, said:

It's good information and I have no doubts that quite a few folks hold their flatpicks incorrectly, especially among those of us who figured out a lot of stuff for ourselves initially. Glad the arthritis problem hasn't afflicted you - the more you play, the less of a nuisance it's likely to become.

The key to this grip is that it keeps the pick firmly in place so the it doesnt wander about and for me , ends up facing a different direction so that you start missing the string all together. This firm grip also keeps the pick from causing inconsistent timing by being too loose, and THAT was the very point of how it saved alternate picking. My timing has improved seemingly over night by a miraculous amount. I am still so excited about it because i am now 100 times faster. In fact I can pick too fast now and stay in time, the problem is the other hand now hahaha.
I totally feel i graduated overnight to have the title, guitarist. Before that i was just a wanker. It is a simple thing but something nobody told me about, and it really changed my life as a guitar player. I cant wait to be able to fret all the scales while using a fast alternate picking. That will be the next step but im afraid that is not going to happen overnight like the picking did. Im putting in the time... it will be so worth it.
Posted Image

Year? Ibanez RG120

Line 6 Spyder IV 15
SM-57 Mic

#6 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• I doubt I'm entitled to a title
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:03 AM

Roach, your link isnt working for me.

Glad you got your picking working ok anyway.

Here's a pick article link that may be of some interest http://forums.songst...9-pick-article/
Hagstrom Deuce / Fylde Acoustic / Variax Standard / Gibson ES-339 / Gibson LP Less+ / PRS SE Custom24 / Hofner HCT-J17 / Camps Spanish / Jackson Soloist / Rickenbacker 650 /Squier Esprit
Miele S5 Power 2200w Vacuum Cleaner
Makita BO3710 Finishing Sander
Verdict 6" vernier scale calipers
Whittard of Chelsea Florence blue teapot
Spear & Jackson 1712PF/INS12 trenching fork

Posted Image put the kettle on
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#7 User is offline   Roach 

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:58 PM

View Postmerciful-evans, on 22 June 2016 - 10:03 AM, said:

Roach, your link isnt working for me.

Glad you got your picking working ok anyway.

Here's a pick article link that may be of some interest http://forums.songst...9-pick-article/

My link

https://gyazo.com/73...c35a71a5cd00146

see if this one works...
Posted Image

Year? Ibanez RG120

Line 6 Spyder IV 15