Gibson Brands Forums

Neck advice please

buzzbob

Hello

I'm an aged guitarist suffering from tendon issues and it isn't much fun. I've returned after a lengthy break and I'm trying to take it easy with the playing to avoid aggravating the condition. Anyway, I have a ES 339 Studio which I really like a lot but still finding it strains my fretting hand and wrist. I was talking to a friend the other day and we came to the conclusion a neck with a narrow nut width but a deeper profile might give me more support. I don't tend to like wide necks but deep necks I feel might work.

I tried a Baja tele a while back and maybe something like that would help but I'd prefer it in 24.75 scale and thought maybe a LP might fit the bill. I'm not rich and if anyone knows of a neck profile on a LP Studio or similar I'd be interested to organise a trip to a music shop for a trial.

Thanks for your help

:)

Hello

I'm an aged guitarist suffering from tendon issues and it isn't much fun. I've returned after a lengthy break and I'm trying to take it easy with the playing to avoid aggravating the condition. Anyway, I have a ES 339 Studio which I really like a lot but still finding it strains my fretting hand and wrist. I was talking to a friend the other day and we came to the conclusion a neck with a narrow nut width but a deeper profile might give me more support. I don't tend to like wide necks but deep necks I feel might work.

I tried a Baja tele a while back and maybe something like that would help but I'd prefer it in 24.75 scale and thought maybe a LP might fit the bill. I'm not rich and if anyone knows of a neck profile on a LP Studio or similar I'd be interested to organise a trip to a music shop for a trial.

Thanks for your help

:)

Good evening, buzzbob.

Happy father's day, if that applies, sir.

Tell me, do you play/practice standing up with the guitar strapped on, or do you sit in a chair?

If it's the chair, exactly what sort of chair?

The reason I ask is, there are a lot of mechanical and physical inhibitions to free and comfortable guitar playing that are present in most sitting scenarios, and very few when one is playing standing up with the guitar strapped comfortably high above the navel. (And not down low, like Slash in an old music video.)

Your pain problems may be less related to the guitar itself, and more related to the mechanics of your practicing style.

Just thinking out loud.

Forgive me in advance if I asked too many questions.

:mellow:

Good evening, buzzbob.

Happy father's day, if that applies, sir.

Tell me, do you play/practice standing up with the guitar strapped on, or do you sit in a chair?

If it's the chair, exactly what sort of chair?

The reason I ask is, there are a lot of mechanical and physical inhibitions to free and comfortable guitar playing that are present in most sitting scenarios, and very few when one is playing standing up with the guitar strapped comfortably high above the navel. (And not down low, like Slash in an old music video.)

Your pain problems may be less related to the guitar itself, and more related to the mechanics of your practicing style.

Just thinking out loud.

Forgive me in advance if I asked too many questions.

:mellow:

Hello. Thank you for your good wishes. I am indeed a proud father ( and grandfather ). The same to you :)

I appreciate your thoughts. I play sitting mainly but adopt a sort of classical positioning with my guitar on resting on the raised left knee ( I'm right handed ) and the neck at a 60deg (? ish ) angle upwards.

I do wonder if a deeper neck profile wouldn't help, though. Something like a baseball bat early 50s but I don't know if these are easily available.

I will pay attention a bit more to my positioning as well and will maybe have a look in the mirror when I play and check if any bad posture seems to be in the way also.

Thank you

Hello. Thank you for your good wishes. I am indeed a proud father ( and grandfather ). The same to you :)

I appreciate your thoughts. I play sitting mainly but adopt a sort of classical positioning with my guitar on resting on the raised left knee ( I'm right handed ) and the neck at a 60deg (? ish ) angle upwards.

I do wonder if a deeper neck profile wouldn't help, though. Something like a baseball bat early 50s but I don't know if these are easily available.

I will pay attention a bit more to my positioning as well and will maybe have a look in the mirror when I play and check if any bad posture seems to be in the way also.

Thank you.

Excellent response, buzzbob!

Again, I'm just thinking out loud, but here is the problem with playing with the guitar in a seated, fairly fixed setting, mechanically-speaking;

you aren't free to move and maneuver your elbow angle, wrist angle, neck altitude, and guitar pitch, roll, and yaw.

And you end up straining your tendons, particularly those in your wrist.

When you practice (or play live, on stage) standing up, you can move, maneuver, and adjust your situation to where you never, ever strain or stress your tendons.

I too am a father and grandfather, and I too have aches and pains in my tendons and joints.

And I have found that when I am free to move, shoot, and communicate (okay, sorry, I was in the Army for many years), or rather, free to adjust from this chord phrasing to that, freely, (and not anchored to an a chair's arm, a knee, or some other structure) then my body is pain-free.

All that rock video moving and jumping around and contorting over the years;

It's not just posing.

It actually serves a mechanical purpose in the interest of the player's natural comfort.

Just something to think-on, and some food for thought.

:P

Guest Farnsbarns

To answer the question you asked, go and try anything you can get your hands on with a 50s neck. There was a model called a 50s tribute in the studio line. Not sure if they still make them but perhaps you can find a used one if not. That should have a good thick neck at a reasonable price. Caveat: I've never played one.

Just by the way. I tend to find the seated classical position puts the least stress on the left wrist and tendons because of the high neck and resulting straighter wrist. YMMV.

Good luck in your quest.... [thumbup]

Suggestions re posture I think are good

A wildcard suggestion, if things are proving difficult... :blink:

Tenor guitars and ukuleles have 'taken off' in recent times

Various tunings and string choices are available

At regular events I frequent, people are taking the skill level to new heights and having fun in big doses.... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

Thanks guys for all your friendly and helpful thoughts and suggestions. I'm going to work a bit on my posture. I might go to a teacher for a couple of lessons focusing on that aspect of playing. I will also check out the 50s tribute studio as I suspect the neck might help, though I did come across some article saying that these aren't really as thick as the original 50s necks and were more in line with a modern C neck? I will pursue it though, thanks.

I'm not too keen on the tenor guitars to be honest, I'm pretty traditional in my approach.

Anyway, loads of good ideas and thoughts so thank you all :)

There was a model called a 50s tribute in the studio line. Not sure if they still make them but perhaps you can find a used one if not. That should have a good thick neck at a reasonable price. Caveat: I've never played one.

Well, I have the Studio Deluxe 50's. Great guitar...if you're around SoCal, you could try it out. I'd even consider selling it to you for a decent price! FWIW, mine has the rosewood neck. This was right before they started using the baked maple.

Here's a link to the specs of there guitar:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Deluxe-50s.aspx

Good luck with your playing.

There was a Studio model called the "Vintage Mahogany", originally an FSR for Guitar Center/Musicians Friend, but I think it survived past that. Mahogany top rather than maple, faded brown finish, 2 BurstBuckers and a nice chunky 50's style neck. You might look for one of those, although weight might be an issue. Mine seems pretty heavy.

Archived