Gibson Brands Forums

Come On Gibson!!!

Jim Wilson

I keep my cases on stands in the living room and my guitars out back under a tarp.*

rct

*Not mine. This from a Canadian Lawyer that was just funny as hecks in a very similar discussion on the internet. About 22 years ago or so.

liar,, that is totally YOU!!!

[thumbup]

liar,, that is totally YOU!!!

[thumbup]

Print this out and show it to a mutual friend of diminutive stature. He would say it was, at the time, totally ALL OF US. Usenet had some fun nay stuff!

rct

Print this out and show it to a mutual friend of diminutive stature. He would say it was, at the time, totally ALL OF US. Usenet had some fun nay stuff!

rct

yea, he would..

he is doing very well by the way..

All the major guitar manufactures (builders) today are concerned, with their cases as to provide a fairly safe shipping trip from point "A" to its destination. As long as it reaches its destination as shipped, therefore dismissing their further liability and warranty obligations. It is now up to the purchaser to, if needed to pursue the life time warranty at their own expense hence forward. This is business, and you can't blame them. I've no complaints about the decent cases my new guitars have been shipped in over the years, other than my first Gibson in 1957, shipped in a chipboard alligator case that only after "HEAVY" use had to be replaced by 1969. The case did its work ok, as the guitar was protected and today is still in pristine cosmetic and playable condition. Remember, when you buy a new guitar,the company is not becoming "your life long companion". If'n you have the choice, get a top grade case with the guitar. Just my own experience. Martin 1940D28

People are always going to find something to complain about. People complain that guitars are too expensive, but then others complain about the cases. If Gibson (or any other guitar maker) shipped their guitars with a high end, "roadworthy" case the price of the guitar would skyrocket, probably making it out of reach for many, or simply would deter many from the instrument because of the cost. Most people who buy thee guitars probably don't travel the world with them gigging, so it wouldn't be cost effective for Gibson to ship them with a roadworthy case. Most of us just play at home, the occasional open mic, or a local bar bad, maybe play a gig every few weeks, etc. The original cases are just fine for this. So why should Gibson cater to just you, when the majority of the people buying their instruments don't need a burlier case, why should you think they would want to shell out for something like that?

I Have read about those Hiscox, do you use yours to fly the guitar? Do they hold up well ? Stand the abuse from the airlines?

I have half a dozen Hiscox cases and have flown with them a fair bit. I've had one accident where the Hiscox was damaged with a small patch of fibreglass ripped off and a couple of cracks - but the guitar was unaffected and with the force required to do that I suspect a cheaper case would have been demolished, so it did the job it was intended to do and protected the guitar in an accident.

I do know someone who had a Hiscox case properly destroyed - a coach backed over it.

I have half a dozen Hiscox cases and have flown with them a fair bit. I've had one accident where the Hiscox was damaged with a small patch of fibreglass ripped off and a couple of cracks - but the guitar was unaffected and with the force required to do that I suspect a cheaper case would have been demolished, so it did the job it was intended to do and protected the guitar in an accident.

I do know someone who had a Hiscox case properly destroyed - a coach backed over it.

Do you have a model you would suggest?? Thanks for your input

I use the Pro IIs for my Gibsons and Fyldes - they do a few more size variations in the Pro versions. I think I have the small classical for my L1 and the L00 and the Fyldes are in the large classical version, but there's also a 000, dreadnought, jumbo and thin body in the series. Even the Std series are very good cases though.

I use the Pro IIs for my Gibsons and Fyldes - they do a few more size variations in the Pro versions. I think I have the small classical for my L1 and the L00 and the Fyldes are in the large classical version, but there's also a 000, dreadnought, jumbo and thin body in the series. Even the Std series are very good cases though.

Cool Thanks for the info

Archived