Gibson Brands Forums

Come On Gibson!!!

Jim Wilson

Is it asking too much for Gibson to ship their guitars in a better quality case? When you're gigging a lot, these Gibson cases sure do get scuffed up easily. It's kind of a shame to buy a quality Gibson guitar and then have to pitch their case in the dumpster and go buy an after-market case that will won't bet all scuffed and scratched.

Hmmmmm.

I have a J-35 that I bought last year, and I am not sure how it happened, but I noticed a pretty deep gouge in the case's top surface after I transported it from work to home.

Kind of an annoyance, but so long as the guitar inside is protected I am ok. Cosmetically, maybe that can use some other material(?). But structurally, their cases are pretty solid, IMO.

Actually, the smart thing to do would be to continue to ship the POS case for those who are cost conscious and have a better quality, more durable case for those of us who need it. I wouldn't mind paying extra to get a better Gibson case.

When Gibson was based in/manufacturing in Kalamazoo, you bought the guitar separately from the case. Having done that, if you wanted a Gibson case, you could spring for your choice among chipboard, semi-hardshell, and hardshell. Lots of chipboards got sold. That's probably one reason it's not unusual to fall across 'gatorboard' cases from the 1960's and why you usually have to pay well for an 'era appropriate' hardshell. We used to moan and groan about not having a case included with the guitar.

if you wanted a Gibson case, you could spring for your choice among chipboard, semi-hardshell, and hardshell. Lots of chipboards got sold.

The original P.O.S. chipboard case from my 1974 J-50 Deluxe. This is what I stored that guitar in until I got a "real" case in 2012! [biggrin] It's falling apart, the thin simulated "leather" has gotten very brittle and is chipping off, the cardboard is all warped. It smells moldy. I could barely afford the J-50 back then, and the hard case was too expensive.

74_case1.jpg

74_case2.jpg

Cases are like bridge pins. We have lots of people complaining about the high cost of Gibson acoustics, but I can't remember anyone here complaining that they wee too cheap. The variety of aftermarket pins and cases makes it silly for a guitar maker to start offering choices.

In my opinion, the cases Gibson ships their guitars in are adequate and suitable for their purpose -- the protect the guitar and make it possible to cart it around.

Some of the special edition models have somewhat more beefy cases that are a step above, but the basic case seems fine to me.

IMO.

Fred

The original P.O.S. chipboard case from my 1974 J-50 Deluxe. This is what I stored that guitar in until I got a "real" case in 2012! [biggrin] It's falling apart, the thin simulated "leather" has gotten very brittle and is chipping off, the cardboard is all warped. It smells moldy. I could barely afford the J-50 back then, and the hard case was too expensive.

74_case1.jpg

74_case2.jpg

Yeah, I know the barely able to afford the guitar experience very well. Always opted for the cheapest case available - hardshell cases were the province of people with well-paying jobs or the wealthy; if you were trying to earn $ playing music, you may have disliked chipboard, but were glad to at least have some kind of case. One of the guys I used to gig with back then lugged his banjo around in a HUGE chipboard guitar case he'd padded extensively with old towels.

My PRS Custom 24 electric was shipped in same material case as all gibson acoustics and probably most major guitar manufacturers ship today. the "leather" thing started to scuff very fast.. but I was playing gigging alot at that time. Case still serves it purpose and guitar is safe in it, just cosmetically it isn't pretty. If you want really rugged case for carrying around than You buy yourself Hoffee case. Thats my humble opinion. :)

Gee whiz. All these years I thought that's what a case was for: to take the bumps and bruises instead of the guitar. Silly. Me. :rolleyes:

I recall sitting around with a bunch of fellow pickers after a gig and having a semi-coherent discussion about how many cases a guitar would outlive throughout its working lifetime. Also the best variety of tape to keep the case going as long as possible - I favored duct tape, but one of my cohorts firmly believed in the black plastic kind.

My PRS Custom 24 electric was shipped in same material case as all gibson acoustics and probably most major guitar manufacturers ship today. the "leather" thing started to scuff very fast.. but I was playing gigging alot at that time. Case still serves it purpose and guitar is safe in it, just cosmetically it isn't pretty. If you want really rugged case for carrying around than You buy yourself Hoffee case. Thats my humble opinion. :)

To me, a well-traveled-looking case tends to suggest a well-played instrument that likely sounds pretty decent. An unbattered case isn't negative, though. It just doesn't send a message.

Cases are like bridge pins. We have lots of people complaining about the high cost of Gibson acoustics, but I can't remember anyone here complaining that they wee too cheap. The variety of aftermarket pins and cases makes it silly for a guitar maker to start offering choices.

Agreed. A fine guitar case is nice to own, but my main concern is keeping damage off the guitar. Back when Gibson offered choices, other options were way limited.

Never had any issues with any of my Gibson cases. Same goes for Martin cases. However, the lifestyle of my guitars is probably pretty mild compared to people that do a lot of traveling with their gigs. I just play local (rarely more than 25-30 miles from home and usually within 5-20 miles. In my car, the case is typically lying on the floor in back. Nothing ever on it or even against it. All my other gear is in the trunk. Also, I'm pretty much the only person ever carrying the case. I've got a couple of scuffs on a few of them from going through doors, or just getting a little careless, but that kind of goes with the territory. They're plenty sturdy for what I do.

We are pretty lucky in the UK that we can get a great Hiscox case for around £99.00 for a J45 shipped . The only thing I don't like about the Gibson new case is the sharp locks and catches , also I don't care for advertising the make and value of the guitar inside on the outside of the case ( Gibson Acoustic ) rather have a plain black one

Is it asking too much for Gibson to ship their guitars in a better quality case? When you're gigging a lot, these Gibson cases sure do get scuffed up easily. It's kind of a shame to buy a quality Gibson guitar and then have to pitch their case in the dumpster and go buy an after-market case that will won't bet all scuffed and scratched.

You need to buy a case to protect your case dude.

We are pretty lucky in the UK that we can get a great Hiscox case for around £99.00 for a J45 shipped .

I paid $250 for my Hiscox Pro II case a few years ago, it's great - in a completely different league from the Gibson case. That would be about £170 at current exchange rates. But there's also a cheaper Hiscox model.

I paid $250 for my Hiscox Pro II case a few years ago, it's great - in a completely different league from the Gibson case. That would be about £170 at current exchange rates. But there's also a cheaper Hiscox model.

I Have read about those Hiscox, do you use yours to fly the guitar? Do they hold up well ? Stand the abuse from the airlines?

I keep my cases on stands in the living room and my guitars out back under a tarp.*

rct

*Not mine. This from a Canadian Lawyer that was just funny as hecks in a very similar discussion on the internet. About 22 years ago or so.

I Have read about those Hiscox, do you use yours to fly the guitar? Do they hold up well ? Stand the abuse from the airlines?

Took my 2008 J-50 round-trip from Newark to Athens via Heathrow in checked baggage in the Hiscox case two years ago. Absolutely no problems, the case really inspires confidence. Next time I might be brave enough to take my 1965 J-50 in the Hiscox. :)

Aside from being so strong, they are also noticeably lighter than the standard Gibson case. They have foam pads that more or less suspend the guitar inside the case so it can't move. This serves as a shock absorber if there's an impact from dropping the case.

In recent years many manufacturers, including Gibson, have starting providing gig bags instead of cases for many value based models. Getting a hard shell case is nice.

In the past I've had a few unpadded chipboard/cardboard cases, and IMO the medium grade hard shell cases Gibson provides are adequate protection - they're sturdy, the interiors are nicely padded, and they fit well.

To get something with an exterior that will stand up to bangs and scuffs, without looking scuffed and banged up, you're going to have spend a pretty good sum. Typical for gigging, it doesn't matter what you get - loading out and loading in, any case you use is going to eventually get marked up. Since most buyers seem to be satisfied with the medium grade quality cases Gibson includes in the purchase price. I can understand why Gibson is reluctant to engage a company to make a special case for an unknown number of orders. It's easier for Gibson let those customers rely on aftermarket offerings.

You need to buy a case to protect your case dude.

Somewhere, sometime, they were advertising 'case covers'. But I figured if the cover was really nice, pretty soon I'd need a cover to protect the case cover....

In recent years many manufacturers, including Gibson, have starting providing gig bags instead of cases for many value based models. Getting a hard shell case is nice.

In the past I've had a few unpadded chipboard/cardboard cases, and IMO the medium grade hard shell cases Gibson provides are adequate protection - they're sturdy, the interiors are nicely padded, and they fit well.

To get something with an exterior that will stand up to bangs and scuffs, without looking scuffed and banged up, you're going to have spend a pretty good sum. Typical for gigging, it doesn't matter what you get - loading out and loading in, any case you use is going to eventually get marked up. Since most buyers seem to be satisfied with the medium grade quality cases Gibson includes in the purchase price. I can understand why Gibson is reluctant to engage a company to make a special case for an unknown number of orders. It's easier for Gibson let those customers rely on aftermarket offerings.

The gag bag (spelling error intentional) feels almost insulting. I'm with you on the notion that a medium grade hardshell is just fine.

Archived