Gibson Brands Forums

My Gibson SG Special T 2016

chriswood

Hey Guys,

This is my first post onto the forum - really happy to be on here!

I have recently purchased a Gibson SG Special T 2016 model and I'm absolutely besotted with it. I have made a few cosmetic upgrades along the way and have other things I will be altering over the coming weeks - I thought that here would be the place to share this :) I understand that the Gibson purists may not approve and I fully understand this but if it's not your kind of thing please don't be harsh as I am really pleased with the outcome. The first thing I'd like to point out is that I know the Special T is based more on the 70's SG Specials and the various changes I have made are not really in keeping with this (truss rod for example) - I have upgraded it with the mind set of it being a pawn shop guitar with a bit of a story to it.. I like to imagine that it was perhaps an original 70's model and over time things have broken and needed replacing with various other parts (such as the true historic 61' truss cover I have added)

I'd love to know your thoughts and for those who are interested I will adding more and more onto this thread as I continue my modifications. I will be looking to go more in depth with electronic alterations over the next few months but as for now here are my cosmetic upgrades :)

- Gibson PRTK-059 Historic Toggle Switch Cap

- Bigsby B5

- Vibramate V5

- Gibson PRTR-061 Truss Rod Cover Historic '61

- USA made WD Custom Pickguard

Thanks everyone!

post-79294-033302500 1466443260_thumb.png

Chris

Those mods are killer. I love the look of this model with the block inlays and mini humbuckers. Been thinking I need to get into this pickup. Have you thought about witch hat knobs for that classic look?

My only issue is with the Vibramate. Why? If you want a Bigsby, go all the way. My biggest issue - the Vibramate does not mount the unit far back enough so the bar sits funny.

Thanks guys for your comments and feedback! I have been on my honeymoon and just returned from New York (I'm from Wales, UK)

Whilst there I purchased a cream pockerchip from Guitar Centre and I added it on today, along with a vintage style Levys strap which I think adds to the pawn shop modified feel - I visited Greenwich Village and was mega inspired!

Here's some pics

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nmmclxs34xc8z44/AACyV4NSA3SBFAR6EXUGU_j_a?dl=0

I have questions regarding wiring etc to ask you tomorrow as I have not delved into that stuff before

Thanks everybody

Thanks Evol - Funnily enough the witch hats were the next thing I was considering! I have been looking at sites like Creamtone as I would really like Aged knobs if possible!

With the vibramate it was purely for convenience - I have not added a bigsby to previous guitars and to be fair it was relatively simple - in the future though I will be considering mounting it direct!

Thanks

Those mods are killer. I love the look of this model with the block inlays and mini humbuckers. Been thinking I need to get into this pickup. Have you thought about witch hat knobs for that classic look?

My only issue is with the Vibramate. Why? If you want a Bigsby, go all the way. My biggest issue - the Vibramate does not mount the unit far back enough so the bar sits funny.

Thanks SG Player - to be honest I understand where you are coming from completely, I like it a lot obviously otherwise I wouldn't have bought it or added it on but I completely understand your feedback and I did expect that it would not be very popular with other players - I have retained the original one incase I ever change my mind :)

Nice, I like it except the "Les Paul" TRC, a blank one or a SG one should be much better .

Archived