Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Build Help: Body Too Thin & Headstock

Full thread for this build can be found here:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/129730-new-build-es-225-semi-hollow/

2 Questions:

Is this body Too Thin? its measures just north of 1.6 inches with the carve. i wanted the carve

to be really pronounced which took away from its overall thickness, and being that its nearly 16 inches wide

makes it look really thin. although it was so much fun to shape this body out, i really like the grain patterns

and want to avoid starting over etc.. if it is too thin ill have to either start over, or add more layers of cedar to the back.

neck will be glued, don't think the pocket will be too small

what is everybody's opinion?

20160616_073248_zpso7uegnrb.jpg

20160608_214131_zpsg8qw9nza.jpg

What do you think of this headstock? i wanted to merge Gibson and PRS headstocks, it came out looking

like something from the Jetson's or Startrek. I really like it, but wanted consensus from everyone

on here

What is everybody's opinion?

20160620_194228_zpsbwge2pxe.jpg

20160620_201517_zps5dardftv.jpg

Hello,

Well that's about 40mm right?

If so then that's fine... the two things you have to worry about when it comes to thickness... Will the pickups fit in and will the controls fit in the back...

I can tell you, I made one guitar that was 28mm thick and that seems to be the limit.. I just managed to fit the pickups in....

As for the headstock looks fine to me, cool design [thumbup] .. What counts again here, do the tuners fit.... So it will be down to where you drill the holes...

This is the thing about building it yourself.. there isn't much right and wrong, you decide :)

You want to see how thin you can get a guitar

Kent04

I believe the thickness of the guitar body is just right.

It's precisely the same thickness as my Telecaster, about the same as my Ibanez Jet King, and is actually quite a bit thicker than my Austin Strat-copy.

My Les Paul is 1 and 3/4 inches thick, and there are times I wish it were a bit thinner and lighter.

The weight should be perfect, and Lord knows there's no point in crafting an ultra-heavy guitar, unless you are building for John Cena.

And I do like that headstock shape.

It's really cool, and should be quite a head-turner.

:)

Love having this forum for support and criticism

Thanks for the reply everybody

Always a pleasure sir...

Indeed when I started building this forum was amazing to me.... So supportive...

Feel free to ask anything you want.. PM me if you like....

I agree with those above...make sure the stuff fits. And also, thin is a GOOD thing.

Unless you are building an absolute copy (you aren't), it's good to do something a little different to set it apart. I personally think thinner is an IMPROVEMENT.

One thing it reminds me of is the Ibanez AS-100's and 200's, which are essentially a 335 style, but the body is thinner. I like that about those.

And, I really like the headstock shape. It's like the same size as a Gibson one, (which I think is a good size), but has an obvious difference to the top to make it not pretending to be a Gibson.

Archived