Gibson Brands Forums

J200 action set. Oh yes that did it...

kidblast

so as many of you know, I finally acquired a J200 back in March. I've been digging it and playing it as much as one can play a guitar, while doing other things that require day to day existence.

I've "felt" since day 1 the action was a bit high, but I was living with it. (truth be told, it was just a bit off -1/64th higher- than factory specs, but specs be damned, it doesn't matter the numbers, it matters the feel) so I brought it in for a setup today.

(says he: "Just drop in, I can set your action in 10 minutes" this is a guy who's wait list is into September right now)

But I've been going to him for a long time now, and have referred many people his way, some for some big jobs...

I guess he felt if he could help me out somehow he would.

Well

holy

crap,

what I've been missing, Oy Vhey! easily 10x better all around

And it really did take about 10 (dress the saddle, regulated the nut.)

Then he asked for 20 bucks, "What?"

I gave him 30...

"what, look at this guy, throwin money around!"

I'm beyond happy....

so as many of you know, I finally acquired a J200 back in March. I've been digging it and playing it as much as one can play a guitar, while doing other things that require day to day existence.

I've "felt" since day 1 the action was a bit high, but I was living with it. (truth be told, it was just a bit off -1/64th higher- than factory specs, but specs be damned, it doesn't matter the numbers, it matters the feel) so I brought it in for a setup today.

(says he: "Just drop in, I can set your action in 10 minutes" this is a guy who's wait list is into september right now)

But I've been going to him for a long time know, and have referred many people his way, some for some big jobs...

Well

holy

crap,

I gave him 30...

I'm beyond happy....

That's terrific kid! A good luthier can make an AMAZING difference to an instrument. I thought I could handle my instruments myself having taken a summer course in doing setups, refrets, repairs and even a neck reset myself. I had worked on my own J200 Standard and felt it was the best playability I could get. But when I acquired a new Taylor 814ce, which played beautifully out of the box, and had it setup by our amazing luthier Jim Mozell at Long & McQuade, Calgary, he made it play like a completely different, more amazing instrument than it already was. I was floored. So I took him my J200 Standard and again, more magic. That guitar now played like butter. So it only goes to show ya, there is nothing like having your instrument cared for by someone who has done thousands and thousands of guitars over his career. Doing one or two here and there, doesn't cut it.

Exactly my story Doug. I've been okay at doing my own work for a while now. But, with my "J",,, I'm just reluctant to make any changes, as minuscule as they might seem, I just want to at least be able to say that from Day 1, anything that was done, was done by a pro. I can make em play ok, but I'm NOT a pro... Jim (At Mouridan Guitars in Winchester Mass) is.

He did a quick check-over while I was there, and basically said the only other thing he'd do to complete the setup, would be checking the fret ends, (smooth out anything that was needed), polish the frets, and treat the fret board. The truss rod checked out, (which I knew that was fine)

Apparently the nut was at least half the problem. Not cut consistently at all. In the amount of time it would have taken me to make some coffee he set it straight.

The guy is a wiz, and from my past experiences in the years I've been going there a very honest man.

Any one out there in the board from the metro Boston west area, THIS is the GUY hands down

Mouridan Guitars

810 Main Street

Winchester Mass, 01890

Look them up on Facebook.

And btw,, he has a delicious selection of Vintage Fender amps in there.

Exactly my story Doug. I've been okay at doing my own work for a while now. But, with my "J",,, I'm just reluctant to make any changes, as minuscule as they might seem, I just want to at least be able to say that from Day 1, anything that was done, was done by a pro. I can make em play ok, but I'm NOT a pro... Jim (At Mouridan Guitars in Winchester Mass) is.

He did a quick check-over while I was there, and basically said the only other thing he'd do to complete the setup, would be checking the fret ends, (smooth out anything that was needed), polish the frets, and treat the fret board. The truss rod checked out, (which I knew that was fine)

Apparently the nut was at least half the problem. Not cut consistently at all. In the amount of time it would have taken me to make some coffee he set it straight.

The guy is a wiz, and from my past experiences in the years I've been going there a very honest man.

Any one out there in the board from the metro Boston west area, THIS is the GUY hands down

Mouridan Guitars

810 Main Street

Winchester Mass, 01890

Look them up on Facebook.

And btw,, he has a delicious selection of Vintage Fender amps in there.

is that the guy who made custom guitars n basses for yes? I live in rhode island, the big kahuna here is noll guitars, everyone loves their shop.

Just great when it goes well, isn't it?

I'm going to print this post out to show my luthier - done while we wait! [flapper] I have seen my local magician on facebook recently promoting his own line of guitars - I hope he is not changing directions.

The other point is the glance over the whole guitar to check all is well.

BluesKing777.

is that the guy who made custom guitars n basses for yes? I live in rhode island, the big kahuna here is noll guitars, everyone loves their shop.

Now that you mention it, there's a few pictures of none other than Chris Squire holding a bass that is unlike I've ever seen before.

Just great when it goes well, isn't it?

I'm going to print this post out to show my luthier - done while we wait! [flapper] I have seen my local magician on facebook recently promoting his own line of guitars - I hope he is not changing directions.

The other point is the glance over the whole guitar to check all is well.

BluesKing777.

oh no! Peer Pressure! What can be worse!

had I opted for the full setup, or had something a bit more involved, I'd have been put in line for a drop off of September 9th.... 3 months wait.. and ya know what? With Jim doing the work, I'd do the wait. (one thing to note, once you drop it off after the "Wait" it's done in a few days.)

(says he: "Just drop in, I can set your action in 10 minutes" this is a guy who's wait list is into September right now)

But I've been going to him for a long time now, and have referred many people his way, some for some big jobs...

Well

holy

crap,

I gave him 30...

I'm beyond happy....

I got the action set low on my j50, it is pure joy to play. Once i did a guitar trade for a tele in town and the guy had a j200 with the action set super low, he let me try and it felt amazing. Playing it was like livin out a dream. i couldnt stop smiling, it was even my fav colour the natural one with beautiful flamed maple. Asked if it was for sale and got a very quick no, but i let him know if you ever do, call me ill sell all my gear to get this lol. Nothin beats a nice low action to me.

Mouradian Guitars

Pat Badger only uses Mouradians. Or, well used to only use them, when Extreme was somebody. Jim Mouradian is a great guy and I understand his son now runs the shop?

rct

Well

holy

crap,

I gave him 30...

I'm beyond happy....

I had a couple of months ago provided a long chronicle of bad work on my J-45. I had fret buzzing, terrible tone, awful sounding J45 standard. I sent it to Music Villa in Bozeman who put in a new bone saddle, but and pins and fixed the neck which was back bowed. The master Luthier fixed it. When I got it 2 weeks later, I was shocked. I just could not understand it. The saddle that I had originally was shaved down at a local Guitar Center and it was done so asymmetrically. That is what caused all of my problems.

Music Vila solved he problem and did so quickly. They are so used to working on Gibson's being 3.3 mile from the Bozeman Factory. Also by dehumidifying the guitar regularly it has sounded even better over thr past 3 months. The tone is unbeatable. It sounds so good.

A proper set up is so important. I learned my lesson. The saddle, nut and pins are very important parts of the guitar. It can make all the difference in the world.

Glad you got yours set up the way you wanted it.

Pat Badger only uses Mouradians. Or, well used to only use them, when Extreme was somebody. Jim Mouradian is a great guy and I understand his son now runs the shop?

rct

yes, for sure Jon is there every day with him. Seems to that they work the shop together. They relocated from Cambridge to Winchester a few years ago, I think that's when Jon too on a more active role in the day to day operations.

They have a very nice little stock of guitars too (as well as the aforementioned amp display).

All visible on their face book page for anyone interested.

They are very good people!

I had a couple of months ago provided a long chronicle of bad work on my J-45. I had fret buzzing, terrible tone, awful sounding J45 standard. I sent it to Music Villa in Bozeman who put in a new bone saddle, but and pins and fixed the neck which was back bowed. The master Luthier fixed it. When I got it 2 weeks later, I was shocked. I just could not understand it. The saddle that I had originally was shaved down at a local Guitar Center and it was done so asymmetrically. That is what caused all of my problems.

Music Vila solved he problem and did so quickly. They are so used to working on Gibson's being 3.3 mile from the Bozeman Factory. Also by dehumidifying the guitar regularly it has sounded even better over thr past 3 months. The tone is unbeatable. It sounds so good.

A proper set up is so important. I learned my lesson. The saddle, nut and pins are very important parts of the guitar. It can make all the difference in the world.

Glad you got yours set up the way you wanted it.

there's a bit more to an acoustic setup than meets they eye. and Dressing the saddle,, they KEY factor is that it's still 100% flat and true when done. I've seen some absolute abortions when I've looked at some of my students guitars after they mentioned "I had the store set it up, but, something still is not right".... more often than not that's a big part of the problem, messing the nut up is the other. All I could do at that point was get the saddle right again, then shim it it to get the action set in the ball park and tell these guys to bring it some where else for the "complete" setup and a new saddle. (Off to Jim they go!)

I had picked up a mint condition 2007 J200 about a year ago. Played ok, sounded ok. Took it to my local guitar guru and I happened to hit him on the right day. He asked if I was in a hurry and I said no, so he said hang out and I can do the setup right now. Took him about 45 minutes but he shaved the saddle, recut the nut and adjusted the truss rod. I swear the guitar plays better than just about any other acoustic I have. Charged me a bit more than $20 but I would have paid him twice as much as he asked. I've done a lot of business in his shop so he always has setups done for me in about 2-3 days, which I think is great for the amount of business he does. Good guitar techs are worth their weight in gold.

Good guitar techs are worth their weight in gold.

True Dat!

Hard to find too, it's always good to have some level of confidence for this service.

Once you find the right guy, you stick with them.

It's so awesome when a guitar is easy to play. You play better! Which even produces better sound. The best playing guitar I ever played was a Martin D41 at a Guitar Center, of all places. That thing played like butter, it was amazing how much better I played on it. If I would have had the money at that time, I sure would have bought it.

It's so awesome when a guitar is easy to play. You play better! Which even produces better sound. The best playing guitar I ever played was a Martin D41 at a Guitar Center, of all places. That thing played like butter, it was amazing how much better I played on it. If I would have had the money at that time, I sure would have bought it.

and we call that "the one that got away"

I am not sure what you meant kidblast when you say 1/64" higher than factory specs? Because factory specs are 7/64" at the 12th fret on a Gibson acoustic, was it 8/64"? Sounds crazy high..

Hi Vincent, the owners manual for my J200 indicates 6/64s and 4/64s, the warranty/inspection card said the same when the final setup / inspection was done, but from the day I got it, it was always a tad higher, closer to 7/64s low E, and 5/64 high E but alls well that ends well, it was an easy fix, I really like the setup now.

Archived