Gibson Brands Forums

1962 Gibson SG neck crack opinion

i can have a very good deal for this guitar

but i want to be sure it doesn't hide anything worst that it shows

im not a gibson expert and i never owned one but i know there are soem stuff to consider... for instance like it's very easy for a 62 to have some cracks...but i'm wondering which cracks are considerable ok or a bad crack

please see these photos

qywjwqgb1evwoitowzff.jpg

also here you can see the mods... i don't get if this model had a tremolo or a regular wrap around bridge

can anybody know what can be done to bring it back as much a possible to a factory setting?

y7wakkcm0ih86jqixldu.jpg

of course i'm not looking for a collectors item here, i want a player grade axe but i want to be sure im buying something hat can keep value at least

how much would you value this guitar?

Well, something like those cracks, really have to see it in person. I doubt you could get a reliable answer over the net.

As for the rest of the guitar, it looks like it at one time had a wrap around bridge, then was modded to have a more "standard" TOM bridge and tailpiece, THEN modded to have the Bigsby.

So, it means this is either an SG Special or a Jr. Or was, anyway. A Jr. would have one pickup, and while the pups are obviously replaced, it kinda looks like they are in a slightly different spot.

Can't give an opinion on holding it's value, being as you haven't said what the price is to hold it's value to. But, just a guess, it's a long way from origonal, and would not think it was worth any more than a typical used one. It has no original pieces (unless by chance the tuners), and the body is broken and repaired, with lots of extr holes.

I'd pass. Neck joint crack looks unsightly, but not super bad.

But follow the crack... I think there's more to it than just a finish crack.

Sure, a '62 is cool. But not with that crack.

Just my opinion, though.

Archived