Gibson Brands Forums

Martin d28

wootpow

A few months ago I had the chance to buy a used Martin d28 and I have to say this one is exceptionally in every way. It was and is a keeper for me with the quality and sound.

I've tried to download a few pictures of my new to me guitar yet it never seems to work out. Sorry for the no pictures.

A few months ago I had the chance to buy a used Martin d28 and I have to say this one is exceptionally in every way. It was and is a keeper for me with the quality and sound.

I've tried to download a few pictures of my new to me guitar yet it never seems to work out. Sorry for the no pictures.

Last year I responded to a kijiji ad and went shopping for a D-28 also. Guy wanted Can. $2200 so I thought it was worth a try.It was a 2010 and it was quite the most underwhelming $2200 guitar I'd ever encountered. Part of the problem might have been that it hadn't been played much.The neck needed a truss adjustment,to say the least- the action was painful.And then the finish had "tiny bubbles" in the lacquer. The sides had all these minuscule yet visible dots floating within the finish. What I couldn't understand was how the thing slipped through Q.C. We all know how good these guitars can be but you really have to exercise due diligence-especially when the price is this substantial."Caveat emptor!-let the buyer beware. But I still want one!

A good D-28 and a good J-45 seem to me the basic elements of an acoustic guitarist's survival kit. With both of those in reserve, you've got it all pretty well covered.

Yes a good j45 maybe my next guitar as they can also be fantastic guitars. I'll have to wait for a while first though.

Last year I responded to a kijiji ad and went shopping for a D-28 also. Guy wanted Can. $2200 so I thought it was worth a try.It was a 2010 and it was quite the most underwhelming $2200 guitar I'd ever encountered. Part of the problem might have been that it hadn't been played much.The neck needed a truss adjustment,to say the least- the action was painful.And then the finish had "tiny bubbles" in the lacquer. The sides had all these minuscule yet visible dots floating within the finish. What I couldn't understand was how the thing slipped through Q.C. We all know how good these guitars can be but you really have to exercise due diligence-especially when the price is this substantial."Caveat emptor!-let the buyer beware. But I still want

Perhaps you were unknowingly checking out a fake Martin as I've came across two while on my search for mine. In comparison a fake Martin and the real deal are like comparing apples to oranges as I hope this wasn't your experience. Good luck in your venture in finding one as they are amazing when you find the right one.

A good D-28 and a good J-45 seem to me the basic elements of an acoustic guitarist's survival kit. With both of those in reserve, you've got it all pretty well covered.

I have a J-45TV but also a Martin GPCPA4 which I find a delight to play. I tried the D-28 but preferred the GPCPA4. As usual, it's all personal choice which I feel is wonderful as it provides so much in the way of variety.

Martins, as with many other guitars, are pricey here and going up. I bought the GPCPA4 less than 3 years ago and now are more than $AU800 above my purchase price.

Congrats on the new D-28!

When I was dread shopping, it came down to the D-28 and D-18.

I went for the D-18 (in Ambertone) based on the string spacing at the bridge and nut width.

The forward shifted scalloped bracing the 'new' D-18's really improve the tone over the old straight braced.

My next will be a Martin CS order... a 5-15, all mahogany, full gloss, MLO neck w/PA taper, 1 3/4" nut.

These little size 5's Martin makes are MONSTERS!

Congrats on the new D-28!

When I was dread shopping, it came down to the D-28 and D-18.

I went for the D-18 (in Ambertone) based on the string spacing at the bridge and nut width.

The forward shifted scalloped bracing the 'new' D-18's really improve the tone over the old straight braced.

My next will be a Martin CS order... a 5-15, all mahogany, full gloss, MLO neck w/PA taper, 1 3/4" nut.

These little size 5's Martin makes are MONSTERS!

Thanks! My son recently purchased a Martin d18 I have to say they are exceptionally also.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you score a really good D-18, though, it's always seemed to me that you're opting for a slightly louder J-45. Still, I get wanting an 18 from time to time, so go figure...

I have both and they sound miles apart to my ears. The D18 is louder to my ears and it loves to be played with a heavy hand. Two really nice guitars.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived