Gibson Brands Forums

Can the G-Force become a problem in the future?

ChrisF

I really really like my 2015 Traditional, it's such a pretty guitar and it's very comfortable to play.

I'm just kind of worried about the G-force system, so far it's been working alright but we all know these things don't last, and there's also the battery issue, it will die eventually and then I'll need a new one. Do you think it will be hard to get replacements at that point?

I'd feel comfortable with it if Gibson offered a lifetime guarantee for this G-force system, since it's the only thing that is holding me back about keeping the guitar.

I also read that you can replace it for regular tuners, but I don't really fancy this idea...

He's got a valid point. Listen up Gibson !

I'd feel comfortable with it if Gibson offered a lifetime guarantee for this G-force system, since it's the only thing that is holding me back about keeping the guitar.

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that you are considering selling it in case the battery fails at some point?

He's got a valid point. Listen up Gibson !

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that you are considering selling it in case the battery fails at some point?

The thing is, I bought the guitar recently and today I had to charge the battery for the first time, I started thinking about the future, and these doubts assaulted me, I still can return it and now I'm even considering doing that.

I've always considered a guitar an object that can stay with you the rest of your life and serve you well, and I certainly buy guirars with this idea in mind, but when technology comes in...

The thing is, I bought the guitar recently and today I had to charge the battery for the first time, I started thinking about the future, and these doubts assaulted me, I still can return it and now I'm even considering doing that.

I've always considered a guitar an object that can stay with you the rest of your life and serve you well, and I certainly buy guirars with this idea in mind, but when technology comes in...

I have a G-Force LP too. I was not convinced I would get along with it, and in 8 months I've only had to charge it twice (BTW, I dont use the open tunings etc).

I really don't think its worth worrying about. If in a few years the battery fails, we wont be the only ones needing a solution. There will be a LOTS of us. And the very least, there would almost certainly be a retrofit option.

And if the very very worst happens and we had to return to regular tuners, at least we know its pretty easy to do.

If you really like the guitar I suggest you keep it. Enjoy it & try not to worry.

Yes this was one of the main points raised when they first came out with this....

Will Gibson still be supporting this tech in 5 years, 10 years??? Who knows... Probably not.. that's the one problem with technology, it moves so fast what is new today is obsolete in just a few years....

HOWEVER.. If you love everything about the guitar I say keep it... If and when the time comes that the battery doesn't work or something breaks, stick some normal tuners on and you will still have a guitar you love but you'll just have to tune it the old fashioned way :)

I don't think its worth worrying about now.. just enjoy it.....

I bought three 2015s. All with the G-Force tuning system and I did so without reservation. Things tend to fail over time. So what.

IF the tuning system fails I'm sure Gibson will make it right. If not, and you don't want to spend $100 on Grovers,, sell it. It's a badass guitar! Enjoy it!

Isn't that the way it goes with tech items? The G-Force is the third self-tuning system Gibson has brought to market since December of 2007. Just as with any other tech item, as improvements are made in new versions, older versions fall out of favor. At some point support ends. That doesn't mean some other enterprise won't begin to offer replacement parts. In my view, as long as Gibson continues to use the same physical dimensions so that the newer tech can be easily swapped in to replace the older tech, the user is provided with the option to continue to use the tech through an upgrade. My 2008 Robot is still working fine. Not too bad when you consider some people are dropping $600 on new phone tech every coupla years.

The OP makes a valid point about battery availability... battery tech is evolving and will likely change in the next few years.

That said, let's look at the absolute worst case scenario: they discontinue the batteries and/or they can't be found or are prohibitively expensive in years to come. Then what? Well, either you just replace them with standard tuners (easy) or by then they'll have a new improved GForce/Etuner available that you can swap on to your guitar instead.

In short... I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your LP.

I really really like my 2015 Traditional, it's such a pretty guitar and it's very comfortable to play.

I'm just kind of worried about the G-force system, so far it's been working alright but we all know these things don't last, and there's also the battery issue, it will die eventually and then I'll need a new one. Do you think it will be hard to get replacements at that point?

I also read that you can replace it for regular tuners, but I don't really fancy this idea...

I understand your concern, but I think it's a bit extreme to get rid of a guitar you like for what I consider a non-guitar issue. If the G-force just completely craps out on you, you can replace it with some regular tuners. In the mean time, stock up on batteries. And a tuner. Just in case...

Where was the internet when Gibson started to use Grovers?

"What if they start making these Grovers in China? What if I can't get Grovers anymore?"

"Don't worry. By that time, they will have Klusons that don't suck".

"Don't worry. By that time, they will have Klusons that don't suck".

i lol'd

but seriously, replacing the tuners is $60 for chrome grover kidney beans, and it actually takes more effort to blow your nose than install grovers. i once brought home a set i bought used. i tripped on a rug and fell down. the tuners fell out of the bag, and landed in the headstock holes, with the retaining nuts on and everything. all i had to do was scowl at it, and they tightened themselves.

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm a little confused. You don't like the idea of fitting manual tuners but you'd return it to buy another guitar, with manual tuners, despite how much you like this one?

The G-force tuners work manually as well.

Each to thier own but I'm missing a piece of logic somewhere.

On another note, those batteries are good for around 5000 charge cycles. If you charged it every week it would probably last about 100 years. Of course batteries can fail and of course they can be replaced.

I'm just not seeing a problem which makes it very difficult to suggest a solution but returning a guitar you love to get another with a feature you effectively already have makes no sense to me personally. YMMV.

... i once brought home a set [of grovers] i bought used. i tripped on a rug and fell down. the tuners fell out of the bag, and landed in the headstock holes, with the retaining nuts on and everything. all i had to do was scowl at it, and they tightened themselves.

Can't wait to read your fish stories! . . B)

I'm a little confused. You don't like the idea of fitting manual tuners but you'd return it to buy another guitar, with manual tuners, despite how much you like this one?

The G-force tuners work manually as well.

Each to thier own but I'm missing a piece of logic somewhere.

On another note, those batteries are good for around 5000 charge cycles. If you charged it every week it would probably last about 100 years. Of course batteries can fail and of course they can be replaced.

I'm just not seeing a problem which makes it very difficult to suggest a solution but returning a guitar you love to get another with a feature you effectively already have makes no sense to me personally. YMMV.

I see what you mean. It's not that I don't like traditional tuners less than the G-force, I just didn't feel like drilling my headstock to install them. The G-force is quite cool and so far it's been working without problems, so I wouldn't say I'd prefer traditional tuners over them either.

And yes, you guys are right, it's not a big deal. In the worst scenario I'd install some grovers, just in case they fail.

I see what you mean. It's not that I don't like traditional tuners less than the G-force, I just didn't feel like drilling my headstock to install them. The G-force is quite cool and so far it's been working without problems, so I wouldn't say I'd prefer traditional tuners over them either.

And yes, you guys are right, it's not a big deal. In the worst scenario I'd install some grovers, just in case they fail.

Chris,

Glad to hear you are keeping the guitar.

Check through the 'G-Force & other Gibson tech guitars' for this sort of thing.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/119552-removing-min-etune-unit-and-machine-heads-and-replacing-them-with-manual-machine-heads/

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/123370-replacing-1st-gen-robot-tuners-with-regular/

I was looking for one where someone didnt have to drill any holes and the new tuners used dropped straight in. I couldnt see it, but it is somewhere.

Chris sat at the keyboard, and labored over a cost proposal.

So difficult, this business of keeping the customers happy and the company afloat at the same time.

The intercom blared suddenly.

Chris's secretary announced, "Boss, Line 1 please. It's your wife, and she sounds a bit stressed. What have you done now, if you don't mind my asking?"

"I can't imagine. Thanks, and I'm switching over now."

He mashed a button on the olive-green desk phone, and muttered, "Uh, hello?"

"Honey, it's me, Madge. Your G-Force is up to no good again."

"What now, for God's sake?"

"They called from school, and apparently G-Force has been getting in fights. And he doesn't want to be called G-Force anymore. He wants to be a rap star, and wishes to go by the name 'Grand Master Tune G', yo."

"Christ on a popsicle stick. Okay, I'll go down there and pick him up."

He sighed.

"Well, you said it years ago when you first bought that guitar. You were worried that the G-Force might be a problem in the future. And I guess you were right."

"Yeah, yeah. Well, I'll handle it. This is my responsibility. I'm the one who brought this on us."

"Don't be too hard on him, Chris. He's just an adolescent. I'm sure he'll turn out to be a fine and good tuning system some day. He just needs to figure it all out, and sow a few wild oats."

"You're right. I just keep hoping his damn battery will run down a bit. Anything to slow him down and keep him out of trouble."

"It's bound to happen. Oh well. I'm off to the market. Do you want anything special for supper?"

"Yeah, let's do pork chops and green beans tonight. And get the G-Force some stovetop stuffing. He seems to like that more and more these days."

"You're a good Dad, Chris. I'm glad I married you, old sport."

"Yeah, yeah. Okay, I'm off to the school. Wish me luck."

"Kisses. Ciao, my love."

:unsure: [crying] :mellow:

edcb5a15233016250d57097fb52321b1.jpg

Archived