Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Limited Edition Gibson USA Explorer

motorcitychick

I am drooling over the new Gibson USA Limited Edition Trans Amber Explorer. I will be at the Namm Show tomorrow and I hope Gibson will have one of these guitars on display. I contacted my sales guy at Guitar Center regarding this guitar.

I love how simple the guitar is with no bling. 1 toggle switch, volume and tone knob, no pick guard. Anyone have a chance to try one of these Explorers out yet?

• 1 month later...

I stopped in at my local guitar store today to kill a few minutes before going to an appointment and was SHOCKED to see one of the reissues. I had no idea Gibson released them and I've been looking for a mint conditioned one for a while now. So, an hour later, I walked out with this............

DSC03229_zpsd5tnffvt.jpg

So much for 'killing a few minutes'. ;)

I stopped in at my local guitar store today to kill a few minutes before going to an appointment and was SHOCKED to see one of the reissues. I had no idea Gibson released them and I've been looking for a mint conditioned one for a while now. So, an hour later, I walked out with this............

DSC03229_zpsd5tnffvt.jpg

This is the guitar I want - natural finish, with the pickguard, gold hardware!

But I can't find any information at all about this model on the Gibson website.

On a few European and Japanese sites I can find adverts for the "Gibson Explorer 76 Reissue 2016 Limited Proprietary natural" which seems to be this guitar, but no official info from Gibson, or any evidence of it on Australian or American sites.

Can anyone provide any more information on this guitar??

This is the guitar I want - natural finish, with the pickguard, gold hardware!

But I can't find any information at all about this model on the Gibson website.

On a few European and Japanese sites I can find adverts for the "Gibson Explorer 76 Reissue 2016 Limited Proprietary natural" which seems to be this guitar, but no official info from Gibson, or any evidence of it on Australian or American sites.

Can anyone provide any more information on this guitar??

I also found nothing on the Gibson site, from what I know of the Canadian ones (where I'm from) they are a Long & McQuade exclusive. Looks like most of the dealers received one per store. AMS has them on their website and I also read that AMS has the exclusive rights in the U.S.

• 2 weeks later...

Contact The Music Zoo in New York and ask for Jessica, she can get you one. She got me mine and it was delivered yesterday to me and it is gorgeous and the quality and craftsmanship is fantastic. You will not be disappointed. These guitars are the 1976 reissue models that come out every so often. [thumbup]

DSC03229_zpsd5tnffvt.jpg

Beautiful!! Exactly what an explorer should look like :)

Johnny

• 2 weeks later...

I've got exact the same guitar but it is a 2009.

2ch6yhy.jpg

That looks awesome!

So I took the plunge and ordered one of the 2016 '76 reissues today. Cheapest I could find was on a UK website due to the languishing British Pound. Still can't find a single store in Australia selling these natural explorers.

I'll definitely swap out the black knobs for some gold ones asap. Do you know if the original 1976 Explorers used cylindrical ones or top hats?

Did you consider getting pickup covers as well? I'm seriously considering doing that too but it's a bigger undertaking than just swapping a few knobs.

• 3 weeks later...

That looks awesome!

So I took the plunge and ordered one of the 2016 '76 reissues today. Cheapest I could find was on a UK website due to the languishing British Pound. Still can't find a single store in Australia selling these natural explorers.

I'll definitely swap out the black knobs for some gold ones asap. Do you know if the original 1976 Explorers used cylindrical ones or top hats?

Did you consider getting pickup covers as well? I'm seriously considering doing that too but it's a bigger undertaking than just swapping a few knobs.

I also swapped out the knobs for gold ones, don't have any inclination to add pickup covers, I always preferred my guitars without them.

Got some gold knobs already to go on mine.

Have decided not to add covers to the existing pickups, but considering actually swapping them out for some gold covered Classic 57's. Should be easier than adding covers and also get me closer to that classic tone.

Archived