Gibson Brands Forums

Which is the old guitar in the recording?

BluesKing777

No other guesses?

I have run out of patience to unveil, same as waiting for the gifts at Xmas...

Both guitars are mahogany/adi, dressed in Elixir PB 12s.

The first track is the old guitar.....1937 Gibson L-0.

The second track is the new Martin OM18 Authentic with baked top and other goodies to make it sound 'old'. I have never seen or played the original ones in the flesh, so we take their word on it, but sounding great is enough.

BluesKing777.

I was going to go with Number 1 as well, but then I thought it may be a trick question and the answer was that they were both old, until you gave a hint in Post #5. So that shows that the Martin people are on to something. :) The Authentic does sound stellar!

I was going to go with Number 1 as well, but then I thought it may be a trick question and the answer was that they were both old, until you gave a hint in Post #5. So that shows that the Martin people are on to something. :) The Authentic does sound stellar!

Aha, aha, sure you picked the correct one after you read it! I bet you wrote the test answers on your arm! [biggrin]

The Authentic is the classic Killer guitar - everyone says that about everything they buy, but this time it is superlative superlatives! I tried to capture it on the recordings but that doesn't get the back rumble you feel in your stomach because of the light build. (Great sales gimmck in a music shop - 'Phew - Need That One Now' sort of feel). Gibson will have to make some vintage clones with all the specs like my Authentic, but it is Custom Shop and Gibson closed theirs... I think they may be trying to catch up with the torrefied top guitars.

BluesKing777.

Was goin' to say the first was the vintage, but honestly don't know. They both sound good and the first appears fatter.

Well, , , I now go opposite. The last is the oldie.

Excellent touch by the way ^ You transmit them blues

Managed to write this without reading any other comments. Will do

Good to see Mr. Emin7 would rather play the ear test... good sport, there.

Of course, BK777 can name them in any order to suit, until the video reveal ; ) !

My guess was not based on any technical aspect of the sound, but more the sense/feel/vibe of the guitar. Definitely speaks well of the toasted guitars, &/or of Martin's Authentics.

Everyone has an opinion, but to me the Elixir PB lights are the best string I have ever used. The horrors that came on the OM and the same on the L-0 after repairs - (D - PB which I use to like) I just couldn't get them off quick enough. I use the E on all, weekends are free to listen to the neighbours scream instead of string changing.... [mellow]

Now on the new guitars being built currently, if I was just buying now - I would try the J45 Vintage above, the OM18 Authentic (Ha! Already have it!), the 2016 L-00 Vintage with the new build like the J, and a National Tricone (Ha! Already have that too! RIP Doug Young the founder of NRP!). And then there could be room to move around my music room instead of feeling like Major Tom strapping in the tin can.........

BluesKing777.

Even despite my objections I did take a listen now .... and before looking at the answers thought the first was clearly the older one. It sounds dryer, warmer and more 'lazy' which is characteristic of old mahogany guitars. The second sounded actually quite new, it was jumpy, responsive, a lot brighter, but nevertheless great sounding, just different.

Even despite my objections I did take a listen now .... and before looking at the answers thought the first was clearly the older one. It sounds dryer, warmer and more 'lazy' which is characteristic of old mahogany guitars. The second sounded actually quite new, it was jumpy, responsive, a lot brighter, but nevertheless great sounding, just different.

But the answers are above! [confused]

BluesKing777.

The second guitar sounds fuller to me. I see it is the new Martin. Though I love the looks of old Gibsons above all, I must admit the sounds of old and new Martins have me sold. One more plus for Martin is they offer 1-11/16" for guys like me and 1.75" for people who like the wider nut. None of this 1.725 fits all nonsense. The downside is that Martins are more expensive all the way around. I'm thankful for the crop I have, but it's always more fun trying to snag a '60s Gibson for cheap (plus I get the added bonus of super-narrow nuts).

The second guitar sounds fuller to me. I see it is the new Martin. Though I love the looks of old Gibsons above all, I must admit the sounds of old and new Martins have me sold. One more plus for Martin is they offer 1-11/16" for guys like me and 1.75" for people who like the wider nut. None of this 1.725 fits all nonsense. The downside is that Martins are more expensive all the way around. I'm thankful for the crop I have, but it's always more fun trying to snag a '60s Gibson for cheap (plus I get the added bonus of super-narrow nuts).

I know you only like the skinnies, Smurph and let me say the 2 guitars in this track above are not for you! The Martin is the full eye watering Mod V like in the 30s with a plank of a neck and bridge spacing of 2 3/8". Perfect for fingerpicking! But the people who read and buy, the forum is full of complaints of the neck causing them grief!

On the slimmer front, I saw a vintage Martin 0-17 with a 1 5/8" nut (online - I THINK it was Sylvan Music - will check that). Could be worth you investigating. My earlier 44 (medium neck) Martin 0-17 was reasonably priced, probably because only the country blues players want them, but it is tone and a half.

BluesKing777.

Found it Smurf:

1945 Martin 0-17:

http://www.sylvanmusic.com/store/p71/1945_Martin_0-17%E2%99%AC.html

Thanks for the link! There were several Martins that looked good to me. The prices weren't outrageous either. Thankfully, I inherited a '58 D28 so I know firsthand how good those guitars are. The tonal range is spectacular. Maybe once I sell another guitar or two I'll seriously look for a vintage Martin. (My Gibson keeps are my LG1 and LG3 and likely the J45 -- though I'm always happy to sell a guitar I got a great deal on. Perverse, I know.)

Better yet, I'd like to find a way to end up in Santa Cruz, CA, but I understand the real estate is horribly expensive for anyone looking to buy.

Cheers!

Archived