Gibson Brands Forums

Fishman Undersaddle Pickup VS L.R. Baggs Element

Aggie

Since Gibson switched pickups in the J-45 from Fishman in the early 2000's to The Baggs Element in later models, does anyone here have an opinion on whether the Element is an improvement? Any difference in sound quality?

I've never heard the Fishman, but will admit I was never a fan of the Element in my 2014 J45 Standard. Thought it was an insult and abomination to an otherwise really nice sounding guitar. Love how the guitar sounded unplugged, but plugged in it was a generic, quacky, cheap sounding pickup. Never been a fan of UST pickups, but will admit I really don't have that much experience with them. I also felt like the soft feeling of the wire/element of the LR Baggs Element did rob the guitar of some tone as well.

I was kinda disappointed with my LR baggs element. Never had one before but this one in my songwriter didnt sound good.. till I bought fishman aura specrum dI. That brings tone to whole new level. :)

I never had any problems or complaints about the Baggs Elements that have been in my guitars. I think I have basic Elements in my rosewood AJ (maybe the J15?) and my 2009 Dove (I think). Anyway, they all three sound very good to me when plugged-in. Also have the Baggs Lyric in two of my Gibsons, and an Anthem in one. Got a Martin Gold Something-or-other in the Hummingbird. I think they all sound great. I've had a couple of Baggs M1s also and they sounded good. Of course, I don't spend much time testing them against each other. I just play them. Some folks don't care for the Element and I imagine their reasons are valid "for them." For me, I like what I hear. Don't know much about the Fishman products, aside from most of them being pretty-darn good.

I have the baggs in my bird, it is immaculate. Just a ???

Plugged in we are now processed (electric). Wondering about the amp one is using?? I have plugged into other amps (settings considered) , different sounds. Any pedals processed? When I plug in, I want the truest sound of the acoustic, considering ,if through a Mic as well. Ears may play different day to day in a subliminal manner.

I was kinda disappointed with my LR baggs element. Never had one before but this one in my songwriter didnt sound good.. till I bought fishman aura specrum dI. That brings tone to whole new level. :)

I also tried an Aura Spectrum DI to try to combat the crappy Element. Was an improvement, but never really sounded like the guitar itself, despite trying different presets, downloading different presets, etc. They all sounded different, but nothing like my J45. I also plugged in my D28 and it sounded like the model I had loaded, but not like a D28, so I figured I could have any guitar plugged in because it's just going sound like whatever model/preet I have loaded, plus to my ear the Aura had a glitchy, artificial sound. At first I was pleased with it, but shortly over time sold it and ended up putting an LR Baggs Lyric into the J45 and am using a Radial PZ Pre with it. Was running that into an old SWR California Blonde, but recently sold that because it was a monster and I don't really use it much. Hopefully will be doing some solo open mics soon, and all I'll need is my guitar, and possibly the DI.

Must admit I like the sound of mine . very bass heavy with my J45 but once I got the hang of the needed EQ no problems at all . Also once I realised the the single volume control also changed the tone , attack and presence it was much better , a high quality battery also was an improvement .

Archived