Gibson Brands Forums

Turtle Wax

JJK

Seems like I read (here)that you can use Turtle wax to remove, elbow skin smudge marks on the lower bout (F hole area) of my 335. Is that True? I've had it done a couple of times by a professional who used a buffer, however even if I had a buffer, I wouldn't feel comfortable trying my buffing skills on the nitrocellulose finish. Unfortunately the smudge always returns. Have any suggestions? Thanks Jim

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Unfortunately, it will always return, until You adapt the habit of wiping the instrument clean after playing. Use a undyed, pure cotton rag - keep one in the guitar case.

Also, I can highly recommend buying Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish. These two products are formulated for nitrocellulose finishes. The Cleaner removes all the dirt, while the Polish will protect the finish. It leaves a beautiful wet look on the lacquer. Use the Cleaner once a year. The Polish can be used two-three times a year - that will be enough.

http://www.virtuosopolish.com/

Best wishes... Bence.

Turtle Wax?!

Use a guitar specific cleaner. If you have to.

My two cents.

I have been using automotive, motorcycle and furniture cleaning/polishing products on my guitars for almost 50 years. I have NEVER bought the minute bottles of overpriced guitar-specific products.

Wood is wood, lacquer is lacquer, chrome is chrome, and nickel is nickel, whether it's on a car, motorcycle, coffee table or guitar.

One of my favorite guitar polishing/buffing products is "Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish". Works on the chrome/nickel parts and will rub out a nitro lacquer to a mirror finish (DO NOT use it on gold plated anything, or plastics).

Turtle Wax is a good product IMHO, but have never tried it on guitars. As a former HD Biker, just thought I'd give a cautionary mention that Flitz Polish will eliminate gold plating in less than a heartbeat.

I have used Turtle Wax on many things and it worked very well but I think it is to abrasive for a guitar. Maguire's auto polish works great as does Virtuoso polish and cleaner. Virtuoso is expensive but so are my guitars. The guys at Hoffman guitars use 3M polish and it works great and comes in big bottles.As we say here in MN, 3M stands for 3X the money, but it works great too.

Thanks John

Perhaps two schools of thought here.... [unsure]

Some folks love to keep their guitars looking 'as new' for a long time

Others enjoy the gradual ageing and patina resulting from many hours of often sweaty playing

Caution with some polish products...they may contain solvents which just might partially dissolve N/C lacquer

Some people use naptha/lighter fuel to clear up a sweat affected area

All prior knowledge and suggestions hereon are worthy.... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Many Thanks to all who replied to my question on Turtle Wax. I was especially impressed with the HD guy who used "Mothers" on his guitars. I've used it on cars but never on guitars. I decided that if Mother's could be used, I was compelled to try the Turtle Wax on the Nitro; but not before doing additional research finding many people claiming TW worked on guitars. I tried it! Results: Stunning...It removed the smudge mark at least 90%, but there is still a hint of the mark. So please draw your own conclusions. I don't know if I want to push it, but maybe!

Regards,

Jim

Archived